Sign in to follow this  
Mark

DIY: Homemade clutch stop

With all the talk of clutch stops recently I decided to have a go a fabbing one up this arvo. My car was converted to manual so has never had one. The clutch goes all the way to the floor, which means a sore leg and really slow gear changes.

Went to Bunnings and took a look in the nuts and bolts section. Bought a 6mm x 20mm coach bolt and a spring washer. The pic below is of an 8mm bolt (bought both cos I couldn't remember what size the hole was - fail) but they look the same.

post-2031-1246072367_thumb.jpg

I threaded the washer and the nut onto the bolt then bolted it into the clutch stop bracket with another nut. It's a tight squeeze but you can get a 6mm ring spanner behind there to tighten it.

Test the clutch take up and add another washer or two until you're happy with the point at which the clutch grabs.

Then to stop the annoying metal "clink" of the clutch arm hitting the bolt, I stuck the original rubber bung that plugged the hole onto the head of the coach bolt with some double sided foam tape.

What a difference this mod makes. Shifts are faster and clutch control is greatly improved. At a cost of less than 50 cents it's well worth it.

Very resourceful. Sounds like a good job too. Keep up the good work, i like this car alot.

Added a couple more washers today.... clutch is now really sharp, engages very quickly off the floor. Now I can move my seat back further so that when heel-toeing my thigh doesn't hit the steering wheel and the defunct cruise control stalk.

Nice, I did this mod last week on mine, Its a little different than yours but the same idea. Its a great cheap mod

Oh BTW i saw you and your Mrs pulling out of your driveway when I was on my way home today, I was in a silver subaru wagon, I pulled over just so I could here that sweet m20 noise lol, sounded great mate.