Sign in to follow this  
bmw520i

bmw 520i 1998 e39 airbag light

hi, my airbag light for my 520i is on. I was told its the occupancy mat. Does anyone know of a place where i can replace it? And how much would it cost?

has anyone heard of this www.bimtronics.com ?

apparently its a self install kit to get rid of the light but the airbag will still work...

your thoughts please. Much appreciated...

hi, my airbag light for my 520i is on. I was told its the occupancy mat. Does anyone know of a place where i can replace it? And how much would it cost?

apparently its a self install kit to get rid of the light but the airbag will still work...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=170350266066

Firstly - Cant recommend a place to go if we don't know where you reside.

Secondly - has this fault been confirmed or is it a guess? Quite likely the problem but other variables too.

Thirdly - Yes this will work BUT the air bag circuits are a safety device in which the manufacturers have spent zillions of $$ in R&D & they should NOT be altered from initial design.

FIX IT PROPERLY is my recommendation

i have replacement seats if needed , black and a grey/purple , with airbag sensors in them

in papakura

I totaly agree with Grant (hotwire)..get it repaired properly.

If your in Auckland...we can do it for you

So youve overridden the safety devices in your car ? :ph34r:

Not sure who youve dealt with, but its not uncommon on an older car to have different sensors fail over time, one after the other, purely because of the age or the conditions the car has been subjected too.

We always keep a historical log of all fault codes for that reason.

I would not recommend the use of any device to fool the SRS control unit... for safety reasons

I too purchased the Seat Occupancy Sensor by bimtronics.com after searching around. Works fine. Saved me the ridiculous quote by the local garage. It doesn't override the two other things you listed in your post though, I think you got that wrong. It takes care of the Occupancy Sensor; that's why its called the "Seat Occupancy Sensor" :D

First of all in replying to your thread, I would like to point out that this is not a personal attack on you, or others that have posted here.

You have fitted a device into the SRS (airbag) system to trick or fool the control unit during its self check which tricks the control unit into thinking that every sensor is working. The occupancy sensor mat is fitted to the system to tell the controll unit that there is ..or is not a person sitting in the seat. Think about what I am going to ask you.

(1) Will the system work properly ?

(2) Will the passengers air bag work ?

(3) Will the pretensioner work on the passengers seat belt ?

(4) Does the device trick the control unit into thinking that there is a passenger in the passengers seat ...or not ?

(5) Would the dealer or a reputable Auto Electrician or Independant Repairer fit this device ?

(6) Would you tell an AVI (WOF Inspector) that you have fitted this device ?

(7) Could you live with the fact that you, are responsible for the disfigurement or death of a friend,wife,GF or child who was sitting in this car when an accident occured and their injuries could have been prevented if the airbag system worked properly ?

(8) Would you tell the person you might sell the car to at some stage that you have fitted this device ? and that the airbag system has been tricked ?

If any of your answers are either NO or I DON'T KNOW.... I would TAKE IT OUT

The cost of fitting the correct part is approx $500 on most BMW's. The cost varies dependant on what type of seat the vehicle has.

These devices are made and sold to fool a safety system in a motor vehicle... and unfortunately, I must say...only fools would buy & fit them. People spend thousands of dollars on cosmetics ie: Mags and sound systems. And then complain about the cost of safety device repairs on their vehicles. BMW did not design & fit these devices to make money out of you, they are a part of the safety systems built into your car, and unfortunately with age, these devices fail or wear out. What price do you put on a freind or loved one ? .... $500 ?

Think about what I have just written.... carefuly... before replying

Personaly, I think the sale & fitting of these devices to be bordering on criminal

BTW: If you (zacg) live in Auckland, I'll take the device out and fit a new sensor mat for free if you pay for the part. If you live out of Auckland, I'll supply the part to you at my cost price + freight.

AND.... I didn't get anything wrong ......I repair BMW's for a living and my AVI number is A6013

Cheers

Glenn

I'd hope that if you where to ever SELL the car you would inform the new owners that you have fooled/by-passed the airbag sensors in the car... 

If not and i bought the car and had an accident and my gf was injuried or killed due to airbag failure and it was proven that the injury or death was caused by this stupid device, i would either hunt you down and castrate you before killing you or take you to court for intentianaly mis-leading as to the safety of the car and hope the police would charge you with mansluaghter... 

I had the same thing- bought a second hand seat from Ray, put it it and sent in to Team McMillian to get the sensor light reset. Turned out that one of the wires had come out of the cable connector to the seat- as said: probably from something having been put under the seat. The original seat could have been ok then. Unbolt the seat and check the weiring perhaps. Better to get the fault checked by a pro- unless you electrically minded they can trace back to the cause. If it is the sensor pad at fault, pad and control unit ar both to be replaced. Dude tricking the Airbag sensor = :(

Second hand seat from Brent is a good way to go. Need to fully diagnose cause first

First of all in replying to your thread, I would like to point out that this is not a personal attack on you, or others that have posted here.

You have fitted a device into the SRS (airbag) system to trick or fool the control unit during its self check which tricks the control unit into thinking that every sensor is working. The occupancy sensor mat is fitted to the system to tell the controll unit that there is ..or is not a person sitting in the seat. Think about what I am going to ask you.

(1) Will the system work properly ?

(2) Will the passengers air bag work ?

(3) Will the pretensioner work on the passengers seat belt ?

(4) Does the device trick the control unit into thinking that there is a passenger in the passengers seat ...or not ?

(5) Would the dealer or a reputable Auto Electrician or Independant Repairer fit this device ?

(6) Would you tell an AVI (WOF Inspector) that you have fitted this device ?

(7) Could you live with the fact that you, are responsible for the disfigurement or death of a friend,wife,GF or child who was sitting in this car when an accident occured and their injuries could have been prevented if the airbag system worked properly ?

(8) Would you tell the person you might sell the car to at some stage that you have fitted this device ? and that the airbag system has been tricked ?

If any of your answers are either NO or I DON'T KNOW.... I would TAKE IT OUT

The cost of fitting the correct part is approx $500 on most BMW's. The cost varies dependant on what type of seat the vehicle has.

These devices are made and sold to fool a safety system in a motor vehicle... and unfortunately, I must say...only fools would buy & fit them. People spend thousands of dollars on cosmetics ie: Mags and sound systems. And then complain about the cost of safety device repairs on their vehicles. BMW did not design & fit these devices to make money out of you, they are a part of the safety systems built into your car, and unfortunately with age, these devices fail or wear out. What price do you put on a freind or loved one ? .... $500 ?

Think about what I have just written.... carefuly... before replying

Personaly, I think the sale & fitting of these devices to be bordering on criminal

BTW: If you (zacg) live in Auckland, I'll take the device out and fit a new sensor mat for free if you pay for the part. If you live out of Auckland, I'll supply the part to you at my cost price + freight.

AND.... I didn't get anything wrong ......I repair BMW's for a living and my AVI number is A6013

Cheers

Glenn

I'd hope that if you where to ever SELL the car you would inform the new owners that you have fooled/by-passed the airbag sensors in the car... 

If not and i bought the car and had an accident and my gf was injuried or killed due to airbag failure and it was proven that the injury or death was caused by this stupid device, i would either hunt you down and castrate you before killing you or take you to court for intentianaly mis-leading as to the safety of the car and hope the police would charge you with mansluaghter... 

I had the same thing- bought a second hand seat from Ray, put it it and sent in to Team McMillian to get the sensor light reset. Turned out that one of the wires had come out of the cable connector to the seat- as said: probably from something having been put under the seat. The original seat could have been ok then. Unbolt the seat and check the weiring perhaps. Better to get the fault checked by a pro- unless you electrically minded they can trace back to the cause. If it is the sensor pad at fault, pad and control unit ar both to be replaced. Dude tricking the Airbag sensor = :(

Second hand seat from Brent is a good way to go. Need to fully diagnose cause first

Well written Glenn, totally agree with all these comments

Well written Glenn, totally agree with all these comments

Thanks Grant..... I wonder if my message got across ? :wacko:

BTW: The original poster has got in touch with me

Edited by *Glenn*

I have owned my BMW ( E 30 and E 36 ) since March 2002, and have been plagued ever since with this warning light staying on at varying intervals.

Hmmmmm an e30 with an airbag warning light <_<

Fellas......both heicht and zacq joined on the same day, have only posted once and have the same ip addie. I dont see them being around for much longer.

Muppet.

Edited by Penry

Hmmmmm an e30 with an airbag warning light <_<

Might have been the airbag sitting in the front Martyn... I sometimes have one of those :P

For the sake of clarity it should be pointed out that two totally ridiculous posts by muppets.inc have been removed from this thread.

Tricking your car into thinking its aibags are fine, when they are in fact faulty is not something we want to recommend...and I think Glenn's post sums it up perfectly.

That is one hell of a deal from Glenn! Just shows you how important the safety systems are, and what kind of guy he is. Ignore it at your peril.

You and me both Heath. Only I would probably do it with extreme prejudice....

On the subject of air bags:

Some mechanical warranty companies do not cover SRS (airbag) systems under their policies, some do. Some cover control units only and not seatbelt related faults as in pretensioners as these are seatbelt components.

Dont carry heavy objects on seats that have air bag systems. I was talking with an assesor yesterday regarding a vehicle we have in the workshop which has alot of problems and we got onto the subject of airbags. The assesor asseses for a company (no names) that is in dispute with an owner over a claim. The owner was having a BBQ and ran out of gas. Took his bottle in the car, had it filled, put it on the front seat of his E46 and proceeded to drive home (probably in a hurry) had a nose to tail and all the front airbags went off. Insurance company will pay for repairs to vehicle and SRS system on drivers side only and expects the owner to pay for passengers side airbags that went off. Their arguement is, the system is in place to protect people, not gas bottles. Boots are for heavy objects not seats which have safety systems. Interesting... wonder what the outcome will be?

We also had a customer with a Merc. Her complaint was the seatbelt warning light kept coming on (flickering) while she was driving, even though she had her seatbelt on. We checked it out and couldn't fault it. Second time she bought it in we still couldn't fault it. When she picked the car up for the second time she wasn't too happy. We never charged her and we couldn't find anything wrong. When she left, she went to the car that dropped her off, got her bag, she's in IT, and went to the passengers side of her car and put it on the front seat. The bag contained a computer, books and discs . She was so embarassed when I told her what her problem was... dont put heavy objects on front or rear seats with airbag systems. Use the floor or boot.

On that note: The idiots that fit devices to fool the system, I wonder what the insurance company would say if you were involved in an accident (by yourself) and all the airbags in the front went off. On an E46 or E39, they might want you to pay for the airbags on the passengers side, some of these cars have three on the passengers side. Price the 3 airbags and then maybe the cost of getting an occupancy sensor matt fitted. I know what I'd rather pay for. Plus the fact that you are operating a vehicle that is not up to WOF standard.