Sign in to follow this  
1rotty

Noob Question

Am I right in assuming I need to take calipers off to replace front brake sensor on the e30?

Yes its easier and you wont break the sensor fitting it. Are you doing the pads as well ?

Jeez Glenn,you get up early!

Thanks for that.

No,not changing pads.Both the sensor leads had been cut off by a previous owner so I've rewired new leads in.

I hate things that dont work & the dash light on worried my passengers. :unsure:

sorry to hijack your thread :)

When I last had a wof done (March), they picked up that the rear brake pads had practically nothing left on them.

I thought this was a bit strange because I was under the impression that there was a sensor that would light up a warning on the dash when the pads were getting low.

So I got home, took the wheel off to have a look and sure enough, there's hardly anything left on the pad.

When I changed the pads, I didn't notice any sensors to plug in anywhere.

My question is, do the rear brakes normally have a wear sensor on all models?

Or has mine been removed?

I would have thought that if it's been removed, then the warning light would be coming up on the dash, that is unless it has been re-wired to bypass the warning?

car is a 1996 323i coupe

Wear sensors on R/H drive cars are on the L/H front & R/H rear

L/H drive cars are opposite

Sounds like someones been playing with you car ie: Dodgy Motors Ltd

yea there wasn't a sensor on either side on the rear :(

haven't actually looked at the front because the pads are still good

Another Jacker. So that explains what that wire is hanging by my brakes? Had me wondering wtf! But its not even connected & there is no light on the dash or anything. Mine is '88 318i. Is that what the wires hanging there are for? If so, would that mean some fella has removed the bulb? Have passed 2 WOFs so far and no one has said nothing about them. <_<

Is it legal (well must be as it has passed WOFs) to completely remove the wiring? No lights on dash so wont make any difference?! How would I go about removing it all entirely?

Edited by Shady

Perfectly legal. Someone has probably removed the bulb. The warning light should come on with all the other lights when you turn on the ignition and go out when you start the car.

3 options if they're not installed really:

1/ replace the bulb and sensors and have it working.

2/ remove the bulb and hang up the wiring tidily or remove wiring (not much point).

3/ replace the bulb, hang up the wiring, but short the two wires together to trick the system into thinking its working. That way the light works, but there's no sensor to replace.

These are just pad wear sensors, so if you keep up the maintenance on your vehicle, there is no danger - it is not like an ABS or airbag sensor.

However, if you are one of these people that don't periodically check your pads, and a lazy WOF guy misses the wear, then the system will make you think all is well.

I have done option 3 on my car as I check my pads every oil service, plan on keeping the car for a long time, and want the bulb to function as it should for aesthetics.

Will have to look into that. I'd like to make evetything on the car work, just like my Reverse lights dont work haha but passed a WOF?! So all good. May just go to a Sparky one day and get them to wire all the stuff that aint wired properly and get lights that dont work, to work etc. Would like to make this mint as so when I sell her, I get my moneys worth. A few things to replace on it to make it mint, but gives me something to do and learn.