Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Random question... USB digital TV tuners

Have a relative in hospital who would love to watch some TV. He has a near new HP laptop with all the bells and whistles, so was thinking of investing in a USB TV tuner. I understand they allow you watch Freeview HD.

Has anyone had experience with these? What brand would you recommend? Is reception generally good or can it be patchy?

Was thinking of going for this one. d*ck Smith has nothing under $150 and the cheapest at Noels is $120.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Crockett

All my experience with them is they are rubbish. Sorry mate. The aerials they come with are poor and you need direct line of sight to the mast in the first place. A couple of mates have tried them aswell with various levels of success but no-one has stuck with them.

Your better off burning movies and dvd's to a hard drive mate.

[e] d*ck Smith do have a 14 day return policy though if your not happy.

Edited by Penry

Guest Simon*

This one is the shizz tm_link

I have it. Recommended highly. Only quirk is antenna placement, but it has adapter to plug into regular TV antenna

Watched Olympics etc on Freeview only Sports channel last year etc and Breakers BBall games on Maori TV with no probs

My friend has one of the USB Freeview HD things, needs a resonably quick computer to work with but it works out of the box with Windows Vista and Seven...

He also lives 20km out of town, and it works just in the back of his box.

I have one of those pinnacle TV nano sticks that Simon recommends if you would like to buy it. Never been used.

over $100 new, will sell for 60

I have one of those pinnacle TV nano sticks that Simon recommends if you would like to buy it. Never been used.

over $100 new, will sell for 60

I'm keen.

I couldn't check Simon's link as TradeMe is blocked at work. Will it pick up both digital and analogue?

link to another site for info

the analog channels come through digital anyway I think. if you can plug into a rooftop aerial with the adapter then you can definitely get analog. I never got around to using it so can't really comment

link to another site for info

the analog channels come through digital anyway I think. if you can plug into a rooftop aerial with the adapter then you can definitely get analog. I never got around to using it so can't really comment

Sweet, sounds good. Can you please PM your account details. Cheers

Had one on my laptop in the UK. Was able to get all the channels. My ariel had a magnet on the bottom. Which I stuck to a large radiator heater in my room. Worked mint. Window frames also give good reception.

Came with software that worked like the Mysky box. Was about 4 years ago though.