Sign in to follow this  
ED1RTY

Track day slicks

Soo heading to Taupo end of August for a track day and would like to ask for advice on what sort of tyres to run.. Semi slicks? Or Full slicks? What compound etc? Remember these will be going one a ~400hp car..

Any advice appreciated. I have bought a spare set of rims (15") so will be looking at wrapping these in the race rubber. Ill be driving down there on road tyres so there is no need for these tyres to be road legal.

So far i have looked into:

R888 (Toyo)

G-19 Eagle (Goodyear)

DZ03G (Dunlop, also noted that they do a full slick dependent on type of racing/car/power etc..)

What brands should i stay away from? Which are good etc.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by KSMYRS

Chris, Mate, Ill see your race rubber and raise you. I'm running standard Dunlop street tyres baby. Mate, Ill be sliding so hard in the corners, no body will be ABLE to pass me. LOL No, I'll be getting some tyres before I go but I dont think I can splurge on race wheels ATM. Ill let you pass me on the straights, don't worry.

Looking forward to seeing the Cossie go around the track, almost as much as the three way battle of the E30 M3s. Lets see, one has HUGE wheels and modified suspension, the other has had 20K spent on the engine. Deary me.

M3 Battle will be epic.. Ill have to sit off track and get some badass photos. DTM Taupo lol

Im not shelling out for race wheels.. Just some more of the factory 'Lattice' wheels.. They are cheap and fairly light so they will do with some decent rubber.. What tyres are you planning on running? Street legal semi's?

GP track day right?

If you want to go nuts bro, get slicks http://www.dunlop.co.nz/tyres_motorsport.aspx?cat=1 200/580R15

Toyo R888 are the most affordable semi slick, Dunlop DZ03G http://www.dunlop.co.nz/tyres_motorsport.aspx?cat=3 and Yokohama A048s are a step up from the Toyos.

I guess it's all about how much money you want to spend mate.

I'll either be running a set of Dunlop semi or full slicks on my spare set of BBS RS 225/45R16

Edited by Hi-Tek

You guys need to find yourselves some 17x8 or 17x9 rims and utilise the NZV8 slicks which are available for about $50 a tyre, maybe half used.

Last set I bought were $120 for 4, and did me 2 meets and a practice day, maybe 120 laps at Puke.

I'd personally get Toyos, and not a full slick as ... it might rain.

Even more fun. :lol:

Actually, they sell the wets as well, about the same price.

Edited by Silver Fox

I'd personally get Toyos, and not a full slick as ... it might rain.

Ill have my street tyres also.. how would the Toyos go up against normal street tyres in the wet?

ANd yes i would love to get some 17" wheels but unfortunately funds do not allow this at the moment.. The wheels I want are $1200 each rim and i'm wanting 5

Edited by KSMYRS

seriously have a look on trademe... if you can fit the mini challange series tyres they are usually about 50 - 100 a tyre for a 17 inch slick

Ill have my street tyres also.. how would the Toyos go up against normal street tyres in the wet?

They're all good actually, its difficult to lose traction in the wet, but then again i dont have 400hp under the hood :wacko:

More info on the track day? Any spaces left?

Im looking at Toyo 888’s, that’s what they use on the R26.R and that’s a fast car.

Someone buy my semi slicks already... 17" R888's

More info on the track day? Any spaces left?

Im looking at Toyo 888’s, that’s what they use on the R26.R and that’s a fast car.

Na free spaces went awhile ago, mainly for members of GPforums

There's going to be 5 of us from these forums, KSMYRS, Eagle, DylanM3, Laurence and myself

3 x E30 M3s, Sierra Cosworth and Eagle in his 325i

If you're driving down on your road tyres Chris and taking a spare set of rims then I wouldn't bother with semi slicks.

If it's dry, then you'll do far better with full slicks and if it starts to rain, then you'll be wasting your time with semi slicks anyhow and would want to put your road tyres back on.

I ended up going with the R888's, bloody good tyres!

Used them in the wet on the track and they were fine. Grippy enough but would 'just' let loose if i gave it sh*t.

In the dry i can't lose traction anymore in 1st and 2nd which is great. Makes for a much quicker take off!

Nice feedback, it was bucketing down from the looks of the photos, were they worn in much?

Im seriously considering a set as a “spare set†for track days, unfortunately id need to have them swapped on to my 18â€â€™s every time, which would be a pain in the ars.

A lot of R26 owners in the UK run the Toyo 888 as an everyday tyre but are only averaging 3,000miles a set and are said to be squeamish in the wet on the road, Toyo do a tyre called a R1R that looks like a good compromise between the T1R and 888, would be ideal for someone like me that enjoys a bit of track and road work but needs it as an everyday commuter also.