Sign in to follow this  
nath

Anyone versed on AUDI manual conversions?

My urS4 (S6) has an auto box. While it is a fantastic adaptive ZF with perfect changes and well serviced- it just feels a bit too cushy for a performance car.....

When you floor it she goes like hell, but like hell on a cloud. I want to feel the tractable power....

Anyone ever done a Quattro manual conversion? This is a very hard model to come by so cant simply 'sell and get a manual'.

This is mostly just putting a feeler out there, as IMO there are 4 things which contribute to the cushy feel....

-heavy sound deadening

-torque converter!!!!

-heavy car

-lame sounding exhaust at low revs

I'm not sure if you can or cant. DME, EGS, ABS, ASC, Kombi all talk to each other like BMW's after 1998 and I dont think you can split the systems like you can on pre '98 BMW's.

Have you tried researching the topic on Vag forums ?

And if you can I would say its going to be bloody expensive

hey cheers Glenn,

I have done a small amount of research on the net, but the problem is, the US didnt get the autos, and i cant seem to find anything about it in the UK... NZ forum VASK is pretty piss poor so far as anything goes....

The "is it even possible" question on top of very hard to find quattro manual box, i think may render it a waste of energy......

Something to consider is that the S6 is a cushy car, it’s not much a performance car at all, more a flagship barge, even run of the mill slush box 540i delivers a sportier drive.

Unless its RS, Audi dont do performance.

I want my flagship barge manual- can you help me with that?

Guest Simon*

touche Nathan ;)

Can I have the Vin & Engine designation numbers and I'll do some research

Engine number is AAN014769 referred to as the 'AAN' engine

VIN number is WAUZZZ4AZRN070901

That'd be awesome thanks Glenn- but don't bust a gut over it- just if the info is readily available.

Yes it can be done

New wiring loom (whole car)

Gearbox, clutch etc

New ECu's... Engine, ABS, ASC etc....like all of them

New instrument cluster

+ all the other manual bits & pieces

About 40-60 hrs labour $$$$$$$$$$$$$

My urS4 (S6) has an auto box. While it is a fantastic adaptive ZF with perfect changes and well serviced- it just feels a bit too cushy for a performance car.....

When you floor it she goes like hell, but like hell on a cloud. I want to feel the tractable power....

Anyone ever done a Quattro manual conversion? This is a very hard model to come by so cant simply 'sell and get a manual'.

This is mostly just putting a feeler out there, as IMO there are 4 things which contribute to the cushy feel....

-heavy sound deadening

-torque converter!!!!

-heavy car

-lame sounding exhaust at low revs

Try Platinum VW Spares, they have a huge range of Audi/VW parts and have done some crazy stuff with Audi’s and VW’s.

Was just a thought on the reason the car feels so cushy, its meant to be cushy could be the reason is all.

Guest Simon*

Just buy an S4 instead Nathan - be cheaper :)

Besides, hasn't your car been inside a Previa??? It's dirty now :P

Glenn- ouch new ECU's! There is an avant being wrecked in drury but i'm not sure if manul or not... prob not.

Fair call on the point being luxobarge.....

Simon-

Haha good call! filthy previa- i wash my car 20 times a day to get the smell of japan out.

But my engione is just too awesome! They can take a lot of power... (think sport quattro S1) maybe some RS2 turbo/manifold upgrades in the near future.....

S4's have a lame engine... powerful, but problematic and not too strong beyond factory.

It is a consideration though i must say.... i'm on car 13 now i think, and with that track record i do wonder when my mind will change!

Post up on vask.org.nz

Manual UR s4/s6 are very very rare. So probably pretty expensive if you manage to find the parts.

Audi S cars are all good! you cant tell me a S3 isnt a little rocket, as performance orientated as say a 135i M