Sign in to follow this  
350chevy

1998 E39 525i Drivers Window Broken

Hi, my driver’s window decided not to work late last night, I pressed the down button, heard a pop and then nothing. I want to remove the side panel off the door to check the fault but it has a side curtain air bag installed. My question is, do I have to do anything special before removing the side panel? I have been told the small plastic holding clips will break but can be glued back on. I am hesitant to remove the side panel from the door without knowing anything about the airbag. Again someone said I disconnect the main battery and let the car sit over night before taking off the side panel? They also said the issue with the E30 windows is a common easily fixed fault? Hope someone can help. Steve

It'll be a broken window regulator cable...will need new regulator

Thanks Glenn,

What about the curtain airbag, do I have to do anything special before removing the door card to get to the window? The last time I did something simple turned out to be a mare. I removed the left hand front seat and had to get Greys BMW to reset the air bag light. Recons it took them 40 mins and $105 later. I could not see anything on any forum about resetting the error light myself. Hence my resistance at this stage to rush into this small fault.

Thanks Glenn,

What about the curtain airbag, do I have to do anything special before removing the door card to get to the window? The last time I did something simple turned out to be a mare. I removed the left hand front seat and had to get Greys BMW to reset the air bag light. Recons it took them 40 mins and $105 later. I could not see anything on any forum about resetting the error light myself. Hence my resistance at this stage to rush into this small fault.

I think you mean the side airbag in the door. For DIYers I suggest disconnecting the battery first. Then the system is safe. However if you do it. You might have to get the SRS light turned off again. 40 mins ???... like hell...takes less than 5. I charge $50 to do it for randoms, free for pretty girls... and probably $20 for anyone else.

Can the SRS light be reset by me? Can I "short out pins on the Diagnostic loam to reset the SRS light" or I do have to take it back to Greys BMW in Wellington? Can I buy BMW Airbag Diagnostic and Reset Tool for a E39? Are you based in Wellington by any chance? Sorry for the hundred questions - Steve

I'm in Auckland... the tool would cost you more than getting it reset. Surely theres got to be someone else you can go to. The welly guys should be able to give you the heads up on a good sparky with a scan tool.

BTW:

<<<<<<<<<<< East Auckland

Edited by *Glenn*

Just to re-iterate whats already been said by Glenn.

Disconnect the battery before doing anything and you should be fine. Yes the clips can brake but if youre careful there is no reason why they should. Forget about glueing them back on if they do brake they are peanuts from the dealer so treat yourself to some new ones.

You will need to put everything back together again before reconnecting the battery and if the airbag light comes on talk to Vijay at Page European (3828218) and find out which sparky he uses to reset the light. It should take no more than a couple of mins and if your lucky a box of beers but it depends on the sparky.

The reason the airbag light came on when you did the seat is probably because you put the seat back in after reconnecting the battery, or at least reconnected the seat cabling after connecting the battery. Always do that last and you should be ok.

Finally, dont always listen to what Jeff Grey tell you. 99% of the time they are talking out of their ar$e. They just werent impressed that you did the work yourself rather than take it into them so they could charge you an arm and a leg.

Guys, you both are awesome . I give it a crack this weekend. Steve

i have window regs for e39 if needed

thanks brent

Hi everyone,

I managed to fix the driver’s window on Saturday. Turns out (Wife forgot to tell me) that her BMW was left out over night and the driver’s window froze to the felt trim. So when she opened the window. It pulled itself out of the 2 bottom bracket rubbers. I ended up making a couple replacements and these worked nicely. The whole operation only took me 20mins.

Many thanks for the good advice from everyone, it all helped in making this an easy repair.

Steve