Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

Fiberglass molds

I want to get a Tech2 front bumper and valance but the problem is there are just not many around.

So does anyone know the price to get a fiberglass mold made for something the size of a bumper?

Would be cheaper to get one from overseas. First problem you have is that you need a good bumper to take the mould off in the first place.

Ieah I know it may be more than getting it from overseas, but can you give me a $ figure to get a mold made?

I will just use my tech2 bumper which is in pretty decent condition for the making of the mold.

I had a Cosworth front bar made couple years ago (extra vents put in) and from the time i dropped off the standard one for the mold 'til i picked up the new one i was up for $1200.

Edited by bellicose

Wow. Maybe just make a mold and then make heaps of them and resell them so you make your money back aswell as make some profit. ;)

Making a mould for a one off is relatively easy - I just made a new spoiler lip for my 328 and a single seat cover for my bike.

Took me about 3 weekends and cost me 300 bucks in materials.

Just laid up both items in carbon now into finishing which is more intensive because the moulds are not as tidy - should take me another weekend to complete both ( P.S. thats only like 3 or 4 hours each weekend ( 12 hours total) because I have 3 children)

Making a production mould is more complex and expensive

I was looking at a car on Cardomain and the guy had photos of how he made a mould for his bodykit, just using various materials then after making the one off mould he then made his bodykit with 'glass and dont know what happened with his one off mould. He reckons it was his first time, and his car was completely rebuilt by himself (and his wife) - it was a full-on showcar. So yeah, it is possible make your own moulds but I guess if you are going to make more than a couple kits, bets to make it proper.

EDIT: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394722/9 heres his "how-to" build a bodykit. He didnt exactly make a mould, just made the shape? And its probably not a car many of you would like, but hey, its fully custom. I reckon its pretty full on for a home job! Not many people can say they made a car look this good, all by themselves - wish I could do that! Maybe one day.

Edited by Shady

^ Chur, So the whole of BS can have Tech2.

yaaaay... Not

yay not times 2.

[snooty]Hey, yours is glass anyways!![snooty]

[snooty]Hey, yours is glass anyways!![snooty]

shhh still looks the same... kinda haha

I want to get a Tech2 front bumper and valance but the problem is there are just not many around.

So does anyone know the price to get a fiberglass mold made for something the size of a bumper?

im a boatbuilder by trade and make moulds at work quite often, if you were to make it right i think you would be looking at somewhere in the 4-600 dollar range, you need to take in account your bumper that your taking the mould from, may or may not survive the process many things can happen like if the fibreglass gets to hot it may exotherm (heat up and warp the bumper , this is worst case senario). its a pretty simple process heres the main items you'll need- approximatly 3m2 of 450gram chopstrand and 1.4 kgs of polyester resin to go with it, approx 1kgs of waxable gelcoat 1 ltre of safe lease- this is to be wiped on the bumper prior to applying the gelcoat and then inside the mold before begining your laminate.

thats a rough guideline if you have any more question send me a pm i would think about maybe doing this as homer if theres someone with a bumper to part with and some kind of demand for them

im a boatbuilder by trade and make moulds at work quite often

Hey mate, who do ya work for?

Thread jack lol.

Edited by bellicose

Hey mate, who do ya work for?

Thread jack lol.

composite projects, we're based in the old oracle base at the akl viaduct

Edited by 89'm325