Sign in to follow this  
BlowMyWhistle

Hoon Laws/ Car impounded

Hi y'all.

I've a sad story to tell, sad cos it's true.

My daughter was out last night, she was a little upset so her friend drove home.

Thats in Mandurah to anyone that's ever been here, 1/2 NZ i think.. One of the hot spots for 'hoons flouting the law'.

Turns out her friend has her license suspended & didn't even know about it... We tend to believe her.

So Adele gets her car taken off her for 28 days & has to pay $850 towing & storage fees.

Left her at the side of the road, standing in the rain!

I know I cant utter profanities on this forum, so I will leave it to your imaginatin what I currently think of the state of the local cops.

I rang the senior sgt at the cop shop, there's nothing he can do about it, it's all in house, doesn't go to court, therefore you cannot appeal it.

I'm buying up shares in ka toa's & storage yards, one of the ka toa's made $1800 in an hour!

Who benefits from this hasty piece of legislation? Not us, we're gunner have to ferry 'del to work & back for the next fedw weeks & she's gunner have to find $850 from her job at super cheap (even though she gets the best part of $500 a week) That's an adult wage in NZ!

So I asked, how do you know if sum1 has their license, esp if they dont even know?

There's a website DPI planning & infrastructure, you can fill in a form, pay your $25 & get the equivilant of a traffic police clearance. But no guarantees it's up to date. You can enter your own license number & birthdate, so it's at the individuals integrity...

There's also a Fines Enforcement registry number you can call, Monday to friday, office hours!!!

I asked how my daughter was to know at 10.30 on a saturday night? The answer "bad luck".

This was a hasty bit of regulation pushed thru by pollies on the bandwagon, everywhere I've read it's been good luck to the cops, down with those terrible hoons, they deserve everything they get!

The cops were absolute anuses, they had adele crying her eyes out in the back of a police car, they wouldn't let them use the toilet, they had to pee on the roadside...

The official story, they can impound your car if the driver: is disqualified, due to a court suspension, it's an individuals responsibility to ensure contact details are up to date... It's just bad luck if you don't know about them...

Also demerit point suspension, obviously disqualified, as opposed to suspended. Or if a license has bean cancelled. Don't apply to fine suspensions.

Apparently they copied a bit of NZ legislation when drafting this law?/

At least back home we have a bill of rights, not here.

It's okay here, thousands of Kiwi's here, weather's great, plenty of jobs. But the average ozzy is sum kind of back wood red neck, a olt of them anyway. This state's got more rules & regulations than anywhere in the world.

There's heaps bent cops & politicians here too.

We need more Kiwi's to come over here, we can make this place our own! Like I tell them, it's the next generation, your kids'r gonna end up working for our kids! While they can't be bothered getting out of bed, their nice cushy union sanctioned jobs, who's doing the real work??? it's no hardship to us. the easier yopu make it, the softer they get, the less work they want to do...

Excuse me, I rant!!!

Adele wanted to be a Police officer, I made her promise me on all the contraband!!! But she's gone right off that now!!

This is bovine Excreta, they're lucky I wasn't there, treat my girl like that, then it wood be me spending another night in jail

Just beware anyone over here, don't let anybody drive your car, even with an up to date traffic police clearance.

Can't ring the hotline on a saturday night!!!

Copulating Anuses!!!

Sorry to hear that. Cant say I've heard of that happening in NZ. Me and a lot of my mates, have lost our licence at least once for Demerit Points, but if they dont come door knocking and you are on file as "suspended" they do not actually class you as driving while disqualified until a Balif(sp?) or Police Officer has told you and/or taken your Licence (can be done on the road side - they follow you home if noone else can drive) or Balif comes door knocking - if you are caught driving and you have already handed your Licence over, then yep you broke the Law no matter what (instant impound 28days & Court hearing face extra 6mths - I've been there done that).

But sorry to hear about what they done to your daughter <_< . Some Police need to realise we are all Human & to pick on the REAL Criminals (thats for all cops in every country!)

Edited by Shady

Over this side of the ditch, you have grounds to get your car back from impound if the owner was not aware and could not have reasonably known that the driver was forbidden from driving or words to that effect. It has been a couple of years since I had to use it.. check through the legislation over there probably alot tighter I would imagine. worth a try..

Yeah they hell Nazi's over here!

Doesn't go to court, deal with the police directly!!! No grounds for appeal (to snr sgt) unless extreme hardship...

Sounds unfair, should be able to take it to a judge for impartiality.

Imagine if the Police got to make the laws as wellas enforce them..

They real easy on drink drivers, the guy that TBoned my daughters car, last year, was on bail for 1 already, got a fine. No impounding for drink drivers, this laws just for hoons.

That's what I miss living here, Besides the fishing, and the women, civil liberties!

Meanwhile we've got an old 7 in the shed... the staff car!

Says on the plates it's an '86 BMW 7 series, both lots!

Although its unfortunate you been caught up in this how can someone not know they have been suspended from driving?

Its your daughters friend you should be having a go at not the police who are just doing their job.

Although its unfortunate you been caught up in this how can someone not know they have been suspended from driving?

Its your daughters friend you should be having a go at not the police who are just doing their job.

They did a hell job of doing their job, above & beyond the call of duty!

The girl had been convicted in her absence for a minor DIC DUI whatever & the hearing had been conducted in her absence. fine notice & license suspension sent to one of her previous addresses. She's a bit of a ruffy this girl, but i did have words with her & she didn't deliberately decieve us. driving whilst suspended, she just din tknow!

There's 3 ways to check, ring a number, ofice hours only.

Get a printout of traffic convictions, about $30

Go to Planning & infradstructure website fill in license details.

Police say unfortunately these may not be up to date, could potentially miss more recent additions.

It's not like you can take this to court & appeal it, say it's harsh, as mentioned above... It's dealt with by the police themselves.

Even the senior oficer admitted this was a casualty, (of war) an unintended consequence.

The police certainly did their job with zeal & enthusiasm, treating the girls like dogs!

Guest Simon*

Gutted for you and your daughter mate - it sure does seem harsh and unfair in this case

Are you going to post pics of your daughter's mate?

Dealt directly with the Police? Thats just stupid. What kind of Country/State does that? If you deal with the Cops directly, you'll never have a chance. At least over here your Innocent til proven Guilty, even if everyone knows that you did drive the car!

Sorry to hear that, but just seems your daughter went driving with her friend at the wrong time.

I have friends who have their licence's disqualified, and they don't drive one bit. Seems to me the laws are harsher over there, compared to NZ, but everybody gets given a kick by the law sometime.

Not everybody gets justice, and comes out on top, not everybody has the money to pay fines, and the patience to adjust to a different mean of transport.

If you can't manage to win your fight with the police, it may be a harsh and straight to the point thing to say, but consider it a learning point for your daughter, and her friend.

If your daughter was unaware of her friend being disqualified from driving, then if I was her I'd be a little bit on the angry side and consider help with the towing fees etc.

Not much you can really do for her, apart from tell her to deal with it, and know to never let someone else drive their car if they're disqualified! Easy as that.

Pity you don't know of any spare run arounds for your daughter, that would reduce the pain!

Goodluck.

Edited by MS BM

Sounds like a crappy law and system, but the police were only doing their job. The bit that really pisses me off is the way they treated the girls.

They should have given them a ride home and not denied them access to a toilet. Surely this you CAN appeal in court, serve the wankers some justice of your own....

The girl had been convicted in her absence for a minor DIC DUI whatever & the hearing had been conducted in her absence. fine notice & license suspension sent to one of her previous addresses.

This seems to be the part where it's all gone wrong.

How can they convict someone in their absence?

At least here they physically take your licence off you, so you are definitely aware you've been disqualified.

I rang the senior sgt at the cop shop, there's nothing he can do about it, it's all in house, doesn't go to court, therefore you cannot appeal it

That sounds to me like Judge Dredd ... I am the law!! Edited by Wom

its a bit unfair i guess but not updating address or getting mail forwarded to the new one is an inconvenience but a fact of life.Sound like the treatment of the girls was very poor.That in itself is worth a complaint IMHO.Its abit like complaining that you didnt get the credit card bills when you didnt advise change of address,when they shut of credit.

I agree. Sounds like a crap situation. But surely if the friend was picked up for DIC she knew that something was going to come of it? Ignoring the issue and hoping it will go away just results in more grief later on - as happened here.

I feel sorry for your daughter who got caught up in it all. Put it down to experience and take it on the chin. Doesn't sound like there's much of an alternative.

Sorry to hear that, but just seems your daughter went driving with her friend at the wrong time.

I have friends who have their licence's disqualified, and they don't drive one bit. Seems to me the laws are harsher over there, compared to NZ, but everybody gets given a kick by the law sometime.

Not everybody gets justice, and comes out on top, not everybody has the money to pay fines, and the patience to adjust to a different mean of transport.

If you can't manage to win your fight with the police, it may be a harsh and straight to the point thing to say, but consider it a learning point for your daughter, and her friend.

If your daughter was unaware of her friend being disqualified from driving, then if I was her I'd be a little bit on the angry side and consider help with the towing fees etc.

Not much you can really do for her, apart from tell her to deal with it, and know to never let someone else drive their car if they're disqualified! Easy as that.

Pity you don't know of any spare run arounds for your daughter, that would reduce the pain!

Goodluck.

I've got a spare e23!

The thing also here, like what's happened to us, you can be convicted & suspended in your absence, up to the individual to notify the court of their current address. So you can be suspended from driving by a court & not know about it!

There's no real way of finding out either.

Maybe there's something dodgy about that, but lesson learnt, cant let anybody drive your car.

Work vehicles etc are not safe, they can be impounded, don't let anyone road test your car either!

Must go, gotta pay the price, pick my girl up from work...

I'll work on fotos for the boys, know they got sum on face book!

They still put kids in prisons here too, Juvies!