Sign in to follow this  
vyking56

I want an E39 540... but I'm a total BMW noob!

Hi,

I'm looking to buy an E39 540. Have been watching them on Trademe mainly and went to look at one at Turners Auctions in Wellington a few weeks ago. Turned out that it didn't have a WOF, REG or even a key... but that's another story!

I dont really want to spend much more than about $16k if I can help it, but I notice there's usually a jump in price from 96-98 vs 99+ which is when BMW shifted to the newer M62TUB44 engine and updated the interior.

What I'm basically after is specific problems or things to watch out for. I've been driving Turbo Subaru's for over 10 years - but this will be my first time behind the steering wheel of a RWD V8 which doesn't come from Australia... so I dont have a clue what to look for or even ask. My friend bought a 740 ex Singapore a few years back which I still laugh at him about - so I dont want to give him any ammo to use on me!

I understand the usual ball joints from them being heavy cars, radiators like anything more than 8 years old and the importance of a service history... but what else should I look for with a private sale? Is there anything major between the two engines M62B44 vs M62TUB44? I'd imagine purchasing a warranty would be a good idea?

Also how hard and expensive is it to service them? I guess I can't do the usual work like oil changes myself? Anything major needing to be replaced or rebuilt at various stages in their lives - such as 100k, 150k, etc?

Many thanks in advanced, I'm sure I'll have more questions soon!

Cheers,

Gareth

Not too familiar with the E39 Gareth but I think ive seen often on this forum with any BMW to try find something that is not imported ex japan/singapore etc.. Also I think the cooling systems like you mentioned should be kept a close eye on. Dont see simple servicing being too much of an issue other than reseting the dash warning lights? Someone else elaborate please.

the later ones late 99 onwards with the vanos v8's are a bit more troublesome ,

water cooled alternators , abs pump electrics ,spring clip hose fittings which cost a bit etc

but a lot of the other bits are similer.

Have a read of this bud might shine some light on your situation.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227948

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M62

Personally i prefer the non-vanos unless you have the msport edition :) Get an authorized BMW agent to give the vehicle the once over and if possible buy warranty (Best thing i ever did). Being a BMW servicing/maintenance is put in higher regard compared to other vehicles (japa, aussie) as doing this will more or less guarantee a pain free life of your pride and joy. You will be surprised how sharp pricing is on servicing from dealers and piece of mind along with the usual bmw customer care involved. Valet etc. Oh and noting wrong with a jap imported 740i (my ride) as long as it low kms with proof and most importantly service receipts. Couldnt ask for much else from a vehicle or could you? B)

Edited by neelnaize

I personaly wouldn't rule out looking at a E39 530 MS either Gareth. Take one for a drive before you make a decission. Maintanence on the 6's is alot cheaper as well and they perform well.

I currently have both generation M62. `98 540 Touring and a `01 M540 both kiwi new. The difference is night and day.

Everything comes down to budget but would definately recommend the M62TU over the rest. As easy as the earlier M62 to maintain and of course has some improvements that always come with facelift models of any class.

Currently getting 13.2 litres / 100 k. If you want 6 cyl. look at E46`s.

I have parts for all models. Call if I can be of assistance with your decision.

Regards Ray

absolutely no reason you cant do the basic work yourself!Just make sure you keep receipts /service records of your own.there is a 6 speed manual in auckland with "character"Research on the web wwll tell you all you need to know,i think the so called problems are overstated.Not in the individual cases but i think you get the impression that every 540 is a ticking time bomb.

Guest Simon*

^^ Doom and gloom :huh:

Great cars even now - shop around, drive plenty and as mentioned, get them checked by someone who knows BMW's prior to sale

Good luck and welcome

^^ Doom and gloom :huh:

Great cars even now - shop around, drive plenty and as mentioned, get them checked by someone who knows BMW's prior to sale

Good luck and welcome

didnt mean that simon.I meant the impression you get from the web is that every 540 is a ticking time bomb but the rreality is that the vast majority are not!

Oh wow, thanks for the info.

What I've just read on bimmerfest.com has definately opened my eyes. I'm kind of thinking now for what I want it for and the amount I'll be driving it that saving several thousand dollars and going for a 97/98 might not be such a bad thing. I definately dont intend for it to be a daily driver.

Question: If there are errors and warning messages on the dash, is that a sign that the car hasn't been properly serviced and had them cleared? I assume the warnings stay until the computer is cleared or reset?

Also are the NZ new models de-spec'd in any way? Eg airbags, power figures, trim, general options? A few NZ new I've seen dont seem to have the inbuilt display/tv. IME many Japanese performance cars sold NZ new are generally "diluted" somewhat and it was always the "JDM" variants to go for if you had them side-by-side. I'm guessing this probably isn't the case with Euro's.

nz cars are ussually pretty well specced esp 540.The only area they wouldnt be is the tv/sat nav because until recently there hasnt been sat nav avaiable here.The basic cars are identical.Jap cars can not easly be made to work with ourradio// tv sat nav systems.There is more knowledge here on that subject tho

Welcome.

A well maintained e39 540 has got to be one of the most satisfying cars you can own.

IMO theyre one of the coolest BMW designs,the cockpit just wraps you inside & they go like a shower of sh*t.

Like you,mines not a daily and every time I take it out I just fall in love with it all over again. :wub:

Plus there are all sorts of cool mods to do to personalise them.

Do it-you won't regret it.

I've had my NZ new 540 for a year now, got it at Turners in Auckland with 120000km. Done 18000km's as it is my daily runner and any excuse for a blat car :rolleyes:

It has to be the best car I've ever had. It cruises well, handles amazingly, fun on the track, my wife loves driving it and my 3 year old lad loves going for a drive with dad.

What have I done:

New Tyres

Ignition coil

Headlight adjuster

It is almost due for a service after 12 months 1 green square to go...

I don't think it's cost anymore to maintain than any other car I have had.

Find one you like the look of take it for a drive and if you love it buy it! Oh it sounds soooo good with loud pedal down!

Also are the NZ new models de-spec'd in any way? Eg airbags, power figures, trim, general options? A few NZ new I've seen dont seem to have the inbuilt display/tv. IME many Japanese performance cars sold NZ new are generally "diluted" somewhat and it was always the "JDM" variants to go for if you had them side-by-side. I'm guessing this probably isn't the case with Euro's.

YES, NZ cars tend to be lower spec than Jap or Singapore.

I've seen NZ cars with

...basic 6-speaker, no-amplifier stereo

...leather but no seat heting

...no electric memory seats

...no EDC

...no TV/nav

...no multi function steering wheel

etc

Visit a few cars. Take note of the spec levels

A car that has the optional switch panel fully equipped is well speced :-)