Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

Any DJ's on here?

bought 2 mk3's and have paid them off already from DJing work :D

What mixer did you get? Going to use Traktor or Serato?

DJM700. Iv already got serato so il prob use that.

Met Matt Munday last night, said hed give me a hand getting started. He's a friend of Luke purcell?

Iv always wanted my own gear, but havnt had the capital till now.

Edited by André3000

It's a damn good setup.

I've got a 600 and it does the trick for me.

Unless your making the music I have a very low carefactor. It seems that 90% of Aucklands "Dj's" are just someones mate with some CD mixers slamming together some of last seasons Mainstream ripped Ministry albums.

And thats why I reckon town doesn't pull the crouds anymore DRTDVL. Though 10 years ago was when the drinking age dropped. And the flood of gumby 18 year olds (me included) hit the bars every night we could.

Wed = Parnell

Thur = Howick (from East auckland)

Fri = London Shed (east)

Sat = Town

Now I am old and all the bars are sh*t.

Just on a side note. Anyone seen Alphabethead play live? F**ken awesome.

Or Napier for that matter- last time I went clubbing there, their equivalent of mixing was to turn one CD off and put the other one on...

Edited by Sick Puppy

Unless your making the music I have a very low carefactor. It seems that 90% of Aucklands "Dj's" are just someones mate with some CD mixers slamming together some of last seasons Mainstream ripped Ministry albums.

And thats why I reckon town doesn't pull the crouds anymore DRTDVL. Though 10 years ago was when the drinking age dropped. And the flood of gumby 18 year olds (me included) hit the bars every night we could.

Wed = Parnell

Thur = Howick (from East auckland)

Fri = London Shed (east)

Sat = Town

Now I am old and all the bars are sh*t.

for me it was

Monday = margareta's for hospo and backapacker night

Wednesday = Seattle bar then the box

Thursday = baciho ( place above kiss bar)

Friday = k road

Saturday = kroad

Sunday = after party mostly ministry...

Plus most nights at luminare (was next to supper club as my friend owned it)

Ya drinking age was lowered but it was still much busier before then. All wS getting at is that this isn't a new fad it just the original posters just got into it. My friends all rocked the cdj's then moved to vinal, then gave up.... Well most o them. Everyone at school in 96-97 though they where dj's also.

Isn't Baciho or whatever it is, all ages?

Guest Ari Gold

Town (auckland) is nothing like what it was 10 yrs ago... there was easy 3 times the number of people out and about... and i'll say 2-3 times the number of clubs... clubs not bars...

I agree fewer people are going out in town, as more and more suburban bars open and other areas like Albany / Takapuna / Botany.

But as someone who has worked in the industry for far too long, town is only getting busier. 15 venues have opened since the start of the year, and these venues are the ones driving town right now. It's the older venues that are sitting on their hands not moving with the times. Which is a real shame, who remember

You will see a lot of these new bars close of course, but at least some people are trying rather than wingeing about not having somewhere to go (not saying you are of course, Heath!) I used to run a bar that's been open since 1995. It started out as a jazz and cocktail bar, and is currently a rock n roll dive bar - moving with the times to suit a changing market. It's just one of the reasons coco is no longer a jazz bar either - their previous owners sold up and the new ones turned it into a club.

I will say this though - there is no club in Auckland I actually enjoy going to. I like gigs at Fu and Zen, but if I'm in a "venue" nine times out of ten its a bar. Probably the closest that any of the venues I frequent comes to being a club would be Cassette, and that is only on their larger nights.

Imagine if Ministry was still around? Or Cardiac when it first opened? Why didn't these venues survive? Or even Box and Cause Celebre for that matter.

Yeah its true, everyone wants to be a dj these days, but I only ever known one person who actually produces there own stuff and djs.

Luke Walker from Manurewa. Made it onto a ministry of sound album with a track he made in his egg carton sound booth.

Heh Luke used to date my best mates sister when we were growing up, he used to drop us into town when we were underage :D . He got signed to the Underwater label, and I've still got a copy of his track with Loki "biggie grinds", which never got released due to copyright claims from biggie smalls' management. If released now, it would still be a massive tune. He's currently on gung ho recordings, check out his track Find your way, it a boomer.

Friends of mine put on the Explicit party nights in town while studying at uni, and they're doing just for fun and the layyydies, and its one of Auckland's larger party nights every time they put on a party. Admittedly they had some rotten luck with the last one, someone deciding to flood honey before midnight, and the very next week getting shut down before 11pm by noise control - on a street without apartments for gods sake.

With regards to everyone wanting to be a DJ, Heavy Metal summed it up perfectly with their track "I just wanna be a drummer"

These days everybody wants to be a DJ. Let me just tell you who. My Mother wants to be a DJ. My Father wants to be a DJ. My Sister wants to be a DJ. My Aunt wants to be a DJ. My Cousin wants to be a DJ. My best friend wants to be a DJ. My Girlfriend wants to be a DJ. My cat wants to be a DJ. My goldfish wants to be a DJ. My Neighbor wants to be a DJ. The Postman wants to be a DJ. The Teacher wants to be a DJ. The Bus Driver wants to be a DJ. The Wed Nerd. The Bum wants to be a DJ. The Pimp wants to be a DJ. My Bucci Bag wants to be a DJ. The President wants to be a DJ. The Queen wants to be a DJ. The King wants to be a DJ. The Priest wants to be a DJ. Jesus wants to be a DJ. The Trees wants to be a DJ. The Ground wants to be a DJ. The Sheep wants to be a DJ. The Dogs want to be DJ’s. The Stars wants to be DJ’s. The Moon wants to be a DJ. The Sun wants to be a DJ. My Foot wants to be a DJ. My Ears wants to be a DJ. My Mind wants to be a DJ. My Hands wants to be a DJ. My Head wants to be a DJ. My d*ck wants to be a DJ…I Just Want To Be a Drummer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guioqOYS2S4

You will see a lot of these new bars close of course, but at least some people are trying rather than wingeing about not having somewhere to go (not saying you are of course, Heath!) I used to run a bar that's been open since 1995. It started out as a jazz and cocktail bar, and is currently a rock n roll dive bar - moving with the times to suit a changing market. It's just one of the reasons coco is no longer a jazz bar either - their previous owners sold up and the new ones turned it into a club.

It's all good man... I don't go out because i don't want to spend the money like i use to...

I do have to say i really miss the box tho... the whole place was a fire hazard but the atmosphere was killer...

I miss you bar being a Jazz bar... One of the GF's old friends dj's (if you could call it that) in there now or did... and ya wasn't pretty... spent more time at the bar than behind the decks...

But i'm old, and would rather kick back at somewhere i can get a nice aged rum and chat with friends...

It's cool to hear town is picking back up there... You remember when you had Angle, Bed, Jones, Kiss, Bachio, Owl, Sin, Quake, Ink, 76, Supper Club, Ibiza, Roots, Luminare, all on K road in that section between pitt and the bridge for the motorway? I know there was a couple more but i can't remember them..

Guest Ari Gold

Habanero, pitch, bar de baz...

When desch was the jazz bar, our owner also had supper and 76 along with a couple of restaurants too, spent far too many Sunday mornings on Pitt St.

Do you know / remember Hans?

Habanero, pitch, bar de baz...

When desch was the jazz bar, our owner also had supper and 76 along with a couple of restaurants too, spent far too many Sunday mornings on Pitt St.

Do you know / remember Hans?

Haha yup i do actually... He was good friends with my friend Marty who ran Luminiare. we would usually end up in 76 or ink then in supper club when it got to about 5ish...

Bring back JDs.

Best post in this entire thread

Vodafone killed supper club when they moved to the viaduct. Use to go up there every Friday after work.

Bring back JDs.

I made the effort sat night. Anyone else go Van She Tech?

I've been DJing house for a few years, been playing around with breaks and dubstep for the last 2 years or so too. playing regular gigs at detroit, coyotes, buddha lounge, bop fm and private parties here in tga with a few gigs in auckland coming up. working on producing my own stuff at the moment but really think I'm a couple of years of playing around before anything decent starts happening haha. started off on vinyl but pioneer cdj's are where its at although I am looking to get into some live production etc later down the line, at the moment my personal setup is 3xcdj1000 mk3's, djm800 & efx500r but since upgrading to the djm800 mixer I barely use the effects unit. the club setup at detroit is 2xcdj1000 mk3's, 2xvdj1000's, djm3000 and a shitbox video mixer which doesn't really bother me as I don't mix video. playing tonight at detroit

Oh SNAP had a new track come out a few months back "everyones a dj, I dj, you dj, everyones a dj with a macbook pro.."

I don't get DJing - I prefer real music