Sign in to follow this  
simke

Felipe Massa in life threatening condition after crash

Did anyone watch Hungarian GP qualifying? Massa was hit in the head by a spring from Barrichello's car and crashed into tyre wall. Skull fracture, currently sedated and on respirator.

What a freak accident, I really hope he pulls through.

Youtube link

Guest FrantiC

Dang, what are the chances of that out of everywhere it could have hit the spring gets him right in the face. Could have flown right past, taken a chunk of panel with it, spoiler etc. Very unlucky.

Freakish alright! Hope he is ok, Ferrari should have details shortly.

On a brighter note, Renault are on poll, 123 actually, where did that come from?? BMW Sauber still suck hard.

Autosport

Henry Surtees, the son of 1964 Formula 1 world champion John Surtees, has died following an accident in a Formula 2 race at Brands Hatch on Sunday.

During the second of the weekend's races, the 18-year-old was struck on the head by a wheel and tyre from the car of Jack Clarke, who had spun into the wall exiting Westfield Bend.

Surtees was knocked unconscious in the accident and his car failed to negotiate the following Sheene Corner, running straight off the track and into the barrier.

Medical crews were swiftly on the scene to extract Surtees from the car, before he was taken to the track's medical centre. He was stabilised at the circuit's facility before being airlifted to the Royal London hospital.

A spokesperson for the hospital this evening confirmed that Surtees had died from his injuries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06dsOwfe7xo

Can happen to anyone.

wow. Very unfortunate.

Dang thats sad man and the tyre hitting Surtees.... Hope he pulls through. Wonder what speed he was doing he wouldnt have even seen it coming i bet.

Dang thats sad man and the tyre hitting Surtees.... Hope he pulls through. Wonder what speed he was doing he wouldnt have even seen it coming i bet.

No way he would have seen it. I read on one of the F1 websites that he was going at about 125 mph.

Edited by Simke

It's something that couldn't even be set up to do again.. Such bad luck. Definitly watching the race tonight.

Also, speaking of things hitting drivers heads.

Tom Pryce in the 1977 South African GP got hit in the head with a fire extinguisher when a 19 year old marshall ran in front of F1 cars doing 290kph.. Both the marshall and driver Tom died.

Horrible video alert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEPULLjiFyI

I wathched it live last night too. It was so unfortunate. Its almost guaranteed that there will be a knee jerk reaction about helmet saftey. It also brings home the fact that motorsport is a dangerous sport.

Heres hoping he pulls through.

Very unfortunate. Was watching some of it also, but missed this.