Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

M20 Stroker Build Questions

Someone will no doubt correct me. But if your going to be skimming anything its much better to skim the block if you can vs the head as you will start to effect the chamber of the head decreasing it's cc rating and if your turbo/supercharging the engine you can get flex in the deck of the head if you run high boost pressures.

The 2.8 stroker, done properly with a decent SC and tuned correctly would be a great project to do

Why not just do an M50/52 conversion? Once you start pulling engines apart ive always found that theres always extra things that end up getting replaced and never turns out as straight forward as it sounds... And 24 valves are always going to be better then 12. More power and better fuel economy

Why not just do an M50/52 conversion? Once you start pulling engines apart ive always found that theres always extra things that end up getting replaced and never turns out as straight forward as it sounds... And 24 valves are always going to be better then 12. More power and better fuel economy

i sort of agree here , but there are a few more mods needed to make a m50/52 engine fit into a e30 . headers have to be made , wiring , gearbox options etc etc.

where as a m20 rebuild will bolt straight back in and can use all th e30 loom etc ..

but yes i think the cost could be lower with a used m50 or m52 engine than rebuilding a m20 engine up , depends on how fussy you want to be and how many new or used bits you fit to the engine .

and also how much of the fabricating you do yourself .

Guest FrantiC

Don't need to cert an m20 stroker cos it looks the same.. Saves you $500 already.

If you make all he mounts etc properly and throw dirt and oil on them i dont think any WOF officer would notice unless they knew a bit about e30's

EDIT: Arent all the mounts all bmw ones anyway.... e36 engine mount arm and doesnt an e21 gearbox mount work? or something like that

Edited by chris00

Amen Chris ;)

p.s buy my exhaust manifolds Nath :P