Sign in to follow this  
skyline_400r

Can I pass WOF?

If I have a set of directional tyres on my car and an asymetric run flat on my spare 'non-runflat' wheel, can I pass WOF?

I go to different tyre shops and ppl keep telling me different stories. Some say I have to have 2 directional tyres on my boot, some say I can have anything. I am so lost right now!

Yea, the only reason you would fail is if you had a directional on the right (for example) and a asymetric on the left. Must be matching pairs front and back.

Don't think they would look that closely at the spare.

Edited by Nick021

Yea, the only reason you would fail is if you had a directional on the right (for example) and a asymetric on the left. Must be matching pairs front and back.

Don't think they would look that closely at the spare.

what if i put 17" at the front and 16" at the rear? ie..... i put 2x 16" wheels at my boot, can i still pass?

caz the problem is I only have 4 direction and 1 assymetric tyres to play with

and what about those space savers?

if they hv to b matching pairs...

No, think you have to have a cert for different sized wheels front and back (just guessing!). You should be fine having all your wheels directional and the spare asymetrical. Matching pairs is only for the actual tyres you drive on all the time, spare is only used rarely so is an exception.

You should be fine how you've got it atm.

No, think you have to have a cert for different sized wheels front and back (just guessing!). You should be fine having all your wheels directional and the spare asymetrical. Matching pairs is only for the actual tyres you drive on all the time, spare is only used rarely so is an exception.

You should be fine how you've got it atm.

Cool! that's what i wanna know b4 i go to have my WOF done, which was dued like 2 weeks ago =D

My dads EA Falcon has 14" and 15" rims, as long as they're pairs you should be fine.

If I have a set of directional tyres on my car and an asymetric run flat on my spare 'non-runflat' wheel, can I pass WOF?

I go to different tyre shops and ppl keep telling me different stories. Some say I have to have 2 directional tyres on my boot, some say I can have anything. I am so lost right now!

The condition of the spare tyre is not a WOF item, except that the spare must be securely held down. When its fitted to the car, then it becomes a WOF issue and also a safety issue.

I failed for having a directional as a spare when the rest of my tyres were asymetric. dunno if it works the other way round

I failed for having a directional as a spare when the rest of my tyres were asymetric. dunno if it works the other way round

A spare tyre is not a WOF issue apart from it being secure. They shouldn,t have failed you. What about space savers ? They don't comply

There are also new WOF laws in force that state the tyres MUST have the same speed rating and a Load Index of +/-2. As stated earlier, as long as you have matching pairs of directional or asymmetric tyres on the same axle you should be fine.

You don't even have to have a spare.

My spare is a 14" bottlecap non-derectional 195/65/14. The rest of the rims are 17" directional 205/45/17.

No problem.

The above comments about the only requirement of a spare tire is that it is secure are correct. Item 16 in the Tyre section of the WOF manual here.

If you were to put it on the car, as long as it did not contribute to any accident, you'd be fine. You are allowed to drive on space savers, but you will not pass a WOF with one fitted. They are intended as a temporary "get you home" solution.

Just leave the spare at home when you go for WOF !

I think some new cars do not have them at all - I rented an Alfa 159 in Ireland recently, and it had a can of sealer and one of those small compressors that plug into the ciggy lighter, but no spare.

Just leave the spare at home when you go for WOF !

I think some new cars do not have them at all - I rented an Alfa 159 in Ireland recently, and it had a can of sealer and one of those small compressors that plug into the ciggy lighter, but no spare.

The Peugeot 206 gti 180 also has a sealer can and no spare

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to tyres on the same axle

cheers.

So my E39 will fail because it has 97 rated tyres on the front and 94 rated tyres on the rear??

and how many should I have with 8" rims on the front and 9" on the rear (17s by the way and the spare is a 16"

No, spare is irrelevant... as long as the tread pattern and size of the tyres on the axle (eg front) are the same you cannot fail a wof. you can have 17" on the rear and 16" on the front if you wanted as theres nothing in the VIRM that says you cant. Ratings are irrelevant on different axles.