Sign in to follow this  
APT

Pre F/L 2.5 into F/l 320

Hey guys

I have finally sourced a Pre F/L m20b25 just wondering if it will work and be compatible with my 320 with a getrag 240 box?

Im assuming i will need a PFL 325 Ecu..but will the engine need to be re wired or can i use my current m20 wiring?

Thanks guys

Edited by mybmw

yes just use most of the facelift wiring loom,sensors etc etc .

you will need a 2.5L ecu (i have one) also 2.5L afm and inlet(and piping) and exhaust manifolds etc

No... this wont work quite that easily if I'm reading the title correctly.

Pre-facelift 325i = Motronic 1.1

Face-lift 320i = Motronic 1.3

The pre facelift 325 motor uses two pickups attached to the gearbox bell housing, and the 240 will not have these, and neither will your current wiring loom. Your current loom in the 320 will be using the no.6 spark plug sensor and the front crank angle sensor instead.

You will need the complete loom and ECU from the 325i motor as well as the gearbox with the pickups. You can modify your 240 to fit these sensors also but its not worth the time and effort to make it work. (The issue is not physical fitment of the box itself, but the sensors, all m20 boxes are inter-changeable in that respect)

As mentioned above, you will need the AFM, intake, exhaust etc also.

If it were a FACELIFT 325 motor there would be no modification required, the only difference would be a 325 ecu as opposed to 320.

EDIT: UNLESS of course you intend to convert the 325i motor from Motronic 1.1 to 1.3 using the loom you have, then all will work well, all you will need to do is swap the toothed crank pulley from your 320 onto the 325 and install the sensors and plug it all up (and install all the 325 bits, ecu, intake, afm etc etc), then it will all work, including your gearbox. (I'm unsure of your intentions though so yeah)

Edited by QuickSilver

Ahh i see the problem now thanks mate i wasnt sure if it would be that easy might just have to stick with this engine untill i have enough cash for a m50, F/L m20b25's are getting pretty expensive

Or just convert the pfl to motronic 1.3. Easy as.

Which is easier than you think since you've already got all the parts for it, even the 2.5 will run off the 2.0 ECU (albeit you'd best get the right chip eventually) ;)

Which is easier than you think since you've already got all the parts for it, even the 2.5 will run off the 2.0 ECU (albeit you'd best get the right chip eventually) ;)

Yep, just swap the toothed crank wheel over and the bracket for the sensor. And plug it all in. And get a 2.5l ECU (ive heard theres no difference between the 2.5l and 2.0 ecu, and its the injector sizes that are different, but I cant be 100% sure)

like i said convert the 2.5aL engine to the later motronic loom ,

basically use all the parts from your 2L engine .

get yourself a 2.5L ecu ,afm and air intake pipe etc