Sign in to follow this  
steve R

M50 Manifold Conversion

I know the pros and cons of this Mod have been discussed many times before, but i have picked up a manifold and was after some information from people who have done the mod.

So, if you have done it, where did you get it done? or did you do it your self? and how much should I be budgeting to have the conversion completed by a work shop?

The plan is to have supporting mods (headers and rest of exhaust, Intake and remap) completed at the same time, and hopefully before and after dyno.

i am looking into it as well .

have dumby fitted some long headers (got off whayne) on to a 320i wreck today .

but will be looking at getting them fitted to my 328i coupe when i convert it to a manual .

along with a m50 manifold and a remap at some stage afterwards .

maybe cams as well???

I spoke to Gavin @ High Velocity about this and he said not to do it because you'll loose torque, but you will gain a little top end horsepower in the area where its least importantant. Thats why I havent done it

Edited by *Glenn*

I do realise there will be a loss of low end power. Thats why I will be doing before and after dyno, hopefully the remap and headers will bring back most of the low end

I'd talk to Gavin first Steven. I spoke to him specificaly about this last week. You will get better gains with your existing inlet manifold, headers, CAI or CAB and a remap according to him. I asked him about this because I wanted to know if I would gain more by doing it before I had mine remapped... your call though. HP at the end of the rev range is not what you are looking for, its HP & torque at the low to mid range that will give you acceloration.

What I'd like to see is some before & after Dyno graphs... if your only going to gain in the higher rev range, I'd rather not do it

Edited by *Glenn*

Might pay you to register with e36 website & check out their performance mods section to be sure etc.

www.e36coupe.com

Might pay you to register with e36 website & check out their performance mods section to be sure etc.

www.e36coupe.com

Heaps of jokers on bf.c ( bimmerforums.com ) that have done it as well

Re -mapping wont get the mid range torque back - the problem is the M50 manifold is a total mismatch with the M52 engine flow characteristics dont match the head, the cams or the exhaust.

Re mapping only adjust fuel and ignition it can not restore the air velocity that is lost by fitting the M50 manifold - the drop in air velocity is the cause of torque loss

Just read the earlier post on the same topic - and realise that this has been done to death and evry time with the same outcome.

+1 Thats what Gavin and I were talking about... and I totaly agree.. its been done to death and unless someone can proove otherwise............ A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME & MONEY

b] A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME & MONEY[/b]

Unless you are looking for peak hp and dont care about mid / low range.

Unless you are looking for peak hp and dont care about mid / low range.

And what use would that be ?

better for track days and drag racing etc .

when shifting gears betweem 4500rpm and 6000rpm ,

but if the engine is not making any increase in power above 5200rpm

you would be disadvantage .

but maybe all it needs is a remap to take out the retardation that

bmw put into the m52 engines above 5200rpm

Obviously it is not going to be much use on a standard engine. But maybe on an engine with cams and has been built for top end, then it would be an advantage.

Obviously it is not going to be much use on a standard engine. But maybe on an engine with cams and has been built for top end, then it would be an advantage.

thats my thoughts ,

my 325i M50 coupe 5spd with a chipped ecu pulls cleanly all the way up to the rev limit 6300rpm .

if i fit the std ecu in its a bit slower past about 5700rpm then the rev limiter cuts in at 6200rpm ,

doesn't feel to different at the lower rpm range .

but this newer 328i that i have got has more torque at the low end but the power just stops at about 5200rpm just feels flat . very dull to drive when you want some fun .

i think bmw just pretty much capped the power there but if it was remapped i think the power would just keep going up to point .

but maybe would be held back a bit by the (525e) ETA stlye inlet manifold.

gavin will be remapping his e39 528i soon , so I look forward to the results with its standard manifolds etc.

but i think with my car i will try and take it a bit further .I have some long headers lined up . and maybe some cams along with the M50 manifold

post-279-1249104825_thumb.jpg

post-279-1249104895_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

If you were looking for peak power you would be better to use an M50 engine and modify that rather than the M52 which is designed to deliver a broader power envelope with lower peak power.

Its not necessarily how high the power curve goes, but the area under it than counts -- the more area the more useable power at any given RPM -

If you are at 3,000 RPM and the 52 is cranking 100kW it will eat the M50 pulling the same RPM but only cranking 90kW -

The M52 power envelope is higher than the M50 from 1,200 RPM right through to about 5,500 RPM so over this range it will accelerate faster if everything else is the same.

Only in the last 1,000 RPM does the M50 make more power - by which time the 52 is way out in front

The only instance when the 50 would be quicker would be if ALL the driving was at between 5,500 and 6,500 RPM - which might happen on some fast tracks with fast sweeping corners.

Exactly my thoughts as well. It'll be interesting to see Gavins results when he does his 528