Sign in to follow this  
Wom

I don't get this

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/2709...im-turns-eight/

"Baby Kahu's snatcher is about to be freed from prison, despite refusing to take responsibility for his crime that shocked a nation.

Terence Traynor failed to win his freedom at every Parole Board hearing during his seven years in prison, however, he must now be freed by law, having served two-thirds of his 11-year sentence."

The part I don't get is that, by law, he has to be released because he's served 2/3's of his sentence?

Um isn't the point of a sentence is that the prisoner stays in prison for the term of the sentence, unless he / she has proven to a parole board that they can be safely released early?

It's sad. People can literally get away with murder in NZ.

The law system is a joke here. :angry:

Yep. NZ needs to "harden the f--k up!" Our Justice, is a JOKE. No other country in the world (well at leased Civilized Country) has such a stupid, useless system. The Justice system shows Justice to the Crim, and shows Disrespect to the Victim. I thought Keyes was going to revise the Law, which I guess was all s--t. Someone go shoot him! You'd be out in 7years!

We have a top 5 incarceration rate in the OECD (we may actually be top 3 - can't find the stat).

On that basis, you could argue we lock up too many people and for too long, in particular since I believe we have less crime than average.

I am surprised you are bringing up a case where the guy caused no harm to the public or the person he kidnapped.

Yet just a few weeks ago there was an article about a person who is now walking free after gunning down and killing 3 or 4 people and wounding another 3 or 4. He was smoking Weed when he did this so got away with being under the influence and deemed crazy. He spent a short amount of time in an asylum. Now walks the streets of Lower Hutt.

nz needs the 3 strikes system like in the states...

the guy that broke into John Key's place had 151 previous convictions!

They need to make LIFE=LIFE not 25yrs & Parole at 17! And no such thing as "crazy"...if thats the case, then every criminal can get off murder for that!

As for small things such as- Theift, Fraud, Driving, Drugs, Vandalism, Arson, Minor Assault etc should be "HOME DETENTION" (depending how serious, minimum 3mths maximum 1year).

And- Murder, Manslaughter, M.A.F, Major Assualt, etc should be "PRISON TIME" (minimum 3mths & manximum LIFE depending how serious).

I reckon this would sort the REAL BAD from the MINOR. Sending someone to Jail for growing Weed and making them live with hardcore killers & gangsters, they just gonna come out worst than they were when they went in! Let the killers live with killers and the druggies locked up at Home! If I was Prime Minister (haha that will never happen) thats how I would make it. Gaurantee be a better Country with a System like this.

As for small things such as- Theift, Fraud, Driving, Drugs, Vandalism, Arson, Minor Assault etc should be "HOME DETENTION" (depending how serious, minimum 3mths maximum 1year).

So if someone burnt down your place at night, and you had luckly just left 2 minutes earlier, you would be fine with them getting a year in prison?

What about if someone stole your life savings, 1 year in prison?

Come on!

Bring back capital sentence (as in China) and ass-whooping (true! as in Singapore). That would stop them.

Bring back the electric chair!

F--king a! Or injection, Hanging, lol. Nah the EC is more painful!

Eye for an Eye I say.

Yep, agree. But in some cases it wont work. EG: "you raped my sister, Im going to rape yours". Or "you beatup my mum, I beat up yours". Dont sound right. So would have to be "you raped my sister, I ram a broomstick up your a$$". lol :P

This.

Yes! But I was referring to the - eye for an eye, statement.

It was this part that I was more curious about - "he must now be freed by law, having served two-thirds of his 11-year sentence"

I don't understand why there is a law that states that you must be freed after serving 2/3's of a sentence.

Should be Law that a pile of BMW enthusiasts are allowed to re-write all the laws?

^ Yes.

I don't understand why there is a law that states that you must be freed after serving 2/3's of a sentence.

What bullshit, Should have to serve the full sentence not 2/3's.