Sign in to follow this  
charles28

E30 Odo Issue and Overheat warning light.

My E30's going well.. had it for 2 months now.. have fixed some small faults with it, ie Coolant Level Sensor, I replaced it with a new one from Ebay, purchased a Service light reset tool also.

I installed some good audio, DLS Component Speakers, Infinity Amp, Image Dynamics Ported Sub.

The only things left to sort are:

1. The Speedometer shows the correct speed and works fine, however the ODO is only recording some of the km's I have drivin, ie, drive 10kms and it records about 3.6kms of the trip (for both the odo and trip meter), the numbers seem to move rather slowly.. this would be a nice fault to have if the car was diesel, could it be the cable from tranny to odo? I have no idea.

2. On that display near the rear vision mirror theres a light that says "overheat" my assumption is that this is a warning for the cat converter in the exhaust?

If i drive the car around town it doesn't come on, however if I floor it on the open road and pass a few cars it comes on. this is telling me that the cat converter is stuffed right?

Cheers

Edited by Charles28

the over heat warning is for water temp i think. so check your sensors and connections. ( might just be for prefacelifts)

Not sure about the odometer reading. Is it in kms or miles? might make a difference with the trip meter?

Edited by 323e30

the over heat warning is for water temp i think. so check your sensors and connections. ( might just be for prefacelifts)

Not sure about the odometer reading. Is it in kms or miles? might make a difference with the trip meter?

Its in KM's, has no MPH stuff on it at all, is a Jap Import one also.

The Temp gauge never goes over 1/2, so I assumed that big Overheat warning light on the OBD was for something else, as it seems strange that it would have a Light up there for Water Temp when there is already a temp guage.

Have been in an NZNEW Bmw like mine and it didn't have that Overheat warning on the OBD, so I assumed it was for something else. the only differnce I could think of was that his had no Cat converter and mine did.

Speedo reading comes from the diff, I'd suggest a problem in the gauge cluster.

Guest FrantiC

Yeah, most likely a gauge cluster problem . Speed sensor is in the diff, the sensor runs the speedo, and the speedo runs the odo.. So if the speedo works fine, there is something wrong with the odo gears or something in the gauge cluster.

(1) It will be the odometer gear set thats at fault. The speedo has probably been tampered with at some stage or just crapped out. An instrument repairer can repair this for you.

(2) Get an exhaust repairer to replace the cat with a bullet muffler and remove the overheat sensor from the exhaust (not the oxygen sensor if it has one) Join the two sensor wires under the carpet behind the drivers seat.

(2) Get an exhaust repairer to replace the cat with a bullet muffler and remove the overheat sensor from the exhaust (not the oxygen sensor if it has one) Join the two sensor wires under the carpet behind the drivers seat.

Or you can just take the LED out of the panel - still have to replace the cat of course

One other problem with the car i've recently noticed:

When driving along, if I take your foot off the Accelerator pedal you can hear a clunk from what sounds like the rear of the car.. and you can hear the noise again if you put foot back down on the pedal.. anyone know what this could be?

^ It is the driveshaft hanger bearing mount, it sits half way down the driveshaft and the boot splits and it clunks. And or check your rear subframe bushes and your diff mount bush at the back of the car.