Sign in to follow this  
nath

Telemarking

Im sure half of us here are skiers..... anyone had experience telemarking? Looks pretty awesome and i dont have much movement in my right ankle so could be ideal for me.....

How did you learn? how long did it take?

Any advice/ pointers etc? or do i need an Austrian instructor...

Or should i stick to what i know....?

I would have thought you'd have far more need for ankle movement telemarking than in a conventional ski boot. I can't remember ever seeing anyone in NZ actually telemarking.

There are a few scattered in the deep south! At Ohau last year i saw oine guy telemarking backwards down a very steep slope- i was in awe!

Yeah, come to think of it, I may have seen a guy at Hutt years ago. It does look cool.

Oooops.... I so read this thread wrong :(

I thought it was telemarketing till I read it properly :wacko:

Oooops.... I so read this thread wrong :(

I thought it was telemarketing till I read it properly :wacko:

+1 i never opened it for that reason, now i understand haha

+1 i never opened it for that reason, now i understand haha

+2

Was wondering if someone was taking the p!ss ie. "Pro" telemarketers

or

if there were any benefits (pro's vs con's) to telemarketing

LOL, must be a slow day 'cause I did click on the link to find out...

AND to my surprise telemarketers can also ski!?!?!?

omg ^^ just like me i was thinking the excact samer thing , i was thinking since when did telemarketers ski? hahaha aw man def one of those days today!!

I've seen telemarking at Ruapehu and Wanaka. It looks incredibly tiring to me.

But then again, I only have one plank to worry about - so everything else looks like too much work to me.

I've seen telemarking at Ruapehu. It looks incredibly tiring to me.

But then again, I only have one plank to worry about - so everything else looks like too much work to me.

+1

haha i just dont see the point in some skiiers going from side to side making small as turns, looks so boring!

I like speeeeed and big wide sweeping turns. :)

personally I don't see the point.

If you've ever seen someone trying to learn it looks super hard. It's really hard to hold an edge and it's easy to get off balance, especially on steep/rough terrain. I reckon it'd be fun in pow, but when was the last time Ruapehu got more than 2cm's of fresh?

Guest Ari Gold

You need massive amounts of ankle movement, and around 60% of your weight is on the outside ski of each turn, so if you've got duff ankles, it would probably destory them.

Remember, the heel isn't connected as such, so your ankle twists alot more.

+1

haha i just dont see the point in some skiiers going from side to side making small as turns, looks so boring!

A novice can go fast and make wide sweeping turns! in fact i think thats all they CAN do!

personally I don't see the point.

If you've ever seen someone trying to learn it looks super hard. It's really hard to hold an edge and it's easy to get off balance, especially on steep/rough terrain. I reckon it'd be fun in pow, but when was the last time Ruapehu got more than 2cm's of fresh?

Haven't skied ruapehu in years- i'm more mackenzie basin and craigieburn.

I can see the point for me- I was born with pretty stuffed ankles/ feet/ tendons and thanks to a few surgeons I can at least walk!

I'm a decent skier as is, and telemarking looks fun.....

You need massive amounts of ankle movement, and around 60% of your weight is on the outside ski of each turn, so if you've got duff ankles, it would probably destory them.

Remember, the heel isn't connected as such, so your ankle twists alot more.

My ankles are strong (enough), but my right foot doesnt move much further up than 90 ish degrees.... which is fine for the telemarker as shins dont need to be forced into the front of boot..... Edited by Zeitgeist

I guess another problem with telemarking is that rental equipment is somewhat rare? Can't just rent some to have a hoon on?

+1

I spend most of my time buttering and or doing silly/unnecessary turns :lol: