Sign in to follow this  
crazyarab

Recommended Brakes & Pads

Right, Track day next week so I am thinking about sorting out my brakes.

Any recommendations for the E30?

I am currently thinking of getting some new factory rotors + EBC red stuff all around.

Perhaps even these slotted ones could be on the cards as they seem reasonably priced.

There is a set of drilled zimmermans on trademe but they so damn expensive, mind you I remember Andre3000's had some of those and it stopped pretty hard!

Edited by crazyarab

Do they need doing immediately?

I'd go OEM + some good pads.

Do they need doing immediately?

I'd go OEM + some good pads.

Umm they are pretty low, I know how vital breaks are on the track so would rather do them and have a blast than worry about sh*t stopping power.

BNT sell brembo rotors for like... 120-130 each.. That's what I'm gonna go for when my rotors need replacement..

Running Std Zimmerman rotors + Mintex 1166 and Ate Racing blue fluid more than enough stopping power for my E30

I am running OEM rotors front and rear with Trusting High Performance Race/Road Pads with braided lines and Motul 5.1 fluid and I have ooodles of brakes.

I am running OEM rotors front and rear with Trusting High Performance Race/Road Pads with braided lines and Motul 5.1 fluid and I have ooodles of brakes.

Where did you get your braided lines from?

Autopassion in Chch do a full set of 6 for 320 bucks or so. Fully DOT tagged.

Autopassion in Chch do a full set of 6 for 320 bucks or so. Fully DOT tagged.

To clear things up, do braided brake lines(dot tagged like the ones above) need a cert?

Not sure, but with the race cars to get a wof they need to be listed on the authority card, so would assume they need to be certed.

Where did you get your braided lines from?

Mossrax here in Wellington for the fronts, and JiB sold me the rears :D

I havn't had to have a warrant with them in yet, but they are dot tagged so I am sure they don't need a cert.

Edited by Forrest

Dot tagged braided lines do not need a Cert. They pass the a**hole-ick check at VTNZ warrant stations fyi..

Ended up getting new factory rotors all around + heavy duty pads from BNT. Not 100% sure about the brand but apparently they are better than the Mintex alternative.

Had the exhaust, suspension, short shifter, rotors and pads fitted so the wallet is hurting a fair bit :(

I think I will hold off on any more upgrades for a wee bit so the braided lines + performance brake fluid will have to wait till the next track day.

The drop + exhaust is looking real sick imo, will post some photos form the track day this weekend.

Edit: some cool interior bits are in the pipeline too and hopefully will fit them in before the track meet.

Edited by crazyarab

So you got a place i'm figuring?

Can't wait to see it now these have been done.

Well done.

Atta

The fancy dot 5.1 race fluid Fluid Riley uses in the 340i isn't that expensive you should ask him where he got his from.

It's $20 a bottle at Safe R Brakes. That's where I got mine from.

Mods sound great Atta... I'm painting trim and bumpers this weekend so won't be checking out the day... have fun all!

Drilled discs? Run AWAY!

EBC Red? Yeah, sort of ok-ish. I will never use EBC in racing again, but for road use the Greenstuff is sort of ok.

Use at least a DOT 4 fluid, preferably a DOT 5.1 (Like MOTUL DOT 5.1 or Castrol Super Repsonse).

Lines should be in good condition, preferably stainless outer braid (with protective plastic sheath) over a smooth bore PTFE inner. Goodridge have an off the shelf 6 line set for the E30 that you can order from Demon-Tweeks, not sure how this goes with the WOF test though, but they are all done to US DOT or German TUV standards.

Also, 25mm master cylinder off pre-1988 E32 750i works a treat! Just need an adapter made up for the front brake lines (E32 is single front output, E30 is twin front output).