Sign in to follow this  
charles28

Just purchased an E30 325i in Manual

Have purchased site unseen basically, am collecting it in 2 weeks.

Its a 4dr in White with the Recaro Style Seats, seats have been recovered and hoodlining re-done, is a 1989 Facelift looking one.

The car has some engine mods of sorts, all I know so far is: (below comment from seller)

the engine is a m20b27 looks exactly the same as the 2.5 version but has a bigger crank and I have put the 731 casting head on it which has double valve springs

He tells me the compressions a little low at 190psi and that it will smoke if thrashed, i'm not too worried as this car is going to be a project of sorts.

Since I will likely be rebuilding this engine, what other mods could I do while getting this done? maybe some kind of race cam?

Cheers

Posted Image

Edited by Charles28

Guest Simon*

Is this the one from Blenheim that was on trademe?

Rings were in need of attention last time I heard something about it, backed up by his comments by the looks of it. Lucky you're planning to rebuild I guess.

Still looked a reasonable buy, hope you have fun in it :)

Is this the one from Blenheim that was on trademe?

Rings were in need of attention last time I heard something about it, backed up by his comments by the looks of it. Lucky you're planning to rebuild I guess.

Still looked a reasonable buy, hope you have fun in it :)

yeah, its that one from Blenhiem, I offered $3000 and he accepted, probably doesn't seem like a good price for a car that needs work, but alot of those manual 325i's are $4500 + and alot of those are in need of attention also.

from what I can see a really good one is $7000 or so.

I am having to wait 2 weeks to get the car due to going on Holiday down to Milford Sound.

For me 1/2 the fun of buying it is the "project" factor of having to fix it up.

I'd do the required maintenance/ rebuild. You could keep the 2.7 or you could rebuild as a 2.8 (prob worth looking into if you are doing a full rebuild). There's info on the site here about how to go about that.

I'd look at a lumpier cam, and maybe some minor head work (port/polish) but the heads flow fairly well from stock.

A decent set of equal length headers, a cold-air intake, and a decent dyno tune nad you'd have a strong, reliably, fun combination without spending the sort of money a boosted setup would require.

Had a quick look at this when i went to pickup mine.

The basis for a great project is there.

Glad it went to someone here.

This was on my watchlist even got emailed the guy to get pics of the headers.

Does anyone know the part number for the Rings i'll need? from what I can tell its

Part Number: 06106004292.

Actually.. this part number is probably meaningless and refers to one brand of parts only.

So can I just get standard M20B25 Piston Rings?

But can anyone confirm/back this up for me?

Also looking at somethine like this for Headgasket Set, i'm not good at knowing which parts I need to order, especially when the Car has been modified previously, I guess all I need to know is, is this suitable for use with the 731 Head?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E30-325...s#ht_1426wt_849

Cheers

Edited by Charles28

2.7 conversion, ETA bottom end, 731 Head,323 Cam, 325 inlet manifold ported to match, running later engine management ,new cam belt, water pump, tensioner, spark plugs,

- 5 speed conversion

- Recaro seats just been retrimmed in BMW fabric

- Retrimmed headlining in black fabric

- 15" Cross spoke alloys

- lowered

- new clutch, lightened flywheel

- K & N filter

- extractors

- Nolathane engine mounts

- Alpina badges

- M gear knob

- chrome dumpy exhaust

Drives well, smokes under very hard acceleration, new rings would improve, but still goes hard, Compression test all 190 -195 psi, NO cracks in dash, slight kerbing to mags, recent paint touch up.

Note; Speedo in MILES

Found this old ad on trademe for the car when it was for sale November 08. so I have some more info on it.. shows that its had "manual conversion" was hoping it was a factory manual one, ohwell.. hopefully its still got the Getrag 260 box

Guest FrantiC

Essentially the same motor? Just would require abit of working making it fit into an e30, and it's a bone stock 2.7 too which is slow as heck.

Bit overpriced. I have seen 24 valvers sell for that.

edit - I just saw it includes a manual conversion so its not that bad a price I guess. Could still b cheaper.

Edited by tastic

Essentially the same motor? Just would require abit of working making it fit into an e30, and it's a bone stock 2.7 too which is slow as heck.

I really only want the block, the gearbox etc I could re-sell or perhaps the seller will sell me the block only.

I can put my head etc on it, according to the guy i'm buying this car off it smokes if thrashed, but there's always a chance that this block won't solve this problem as it may be as worn as mine.

I guess I should just keep an eye out for a block only thats cheap and rebuild it whilst keeping the car on the road

In the BMW engines ive pulled apart the bores are mint and still have hone marks on the bores. It will probably just need a set of rings thrown at it and bearings while your there too.

In the BMW engines ive pulled apart the bores are mint and still have hone marks on the bores. It will probably just need a set of rings thrown at it and bearings while your there too.

Yeah, that would be nice, it looks like I can get rings and bearings for a good price from Autohaus for $89 USD + shipping for the Rings, Main Bearings $92.99 + GST, connecting rod bearings $48.93 USD.

I finally pick the car up in 2 days.. hopefully its a fun driving back, weather could be bad though

The 731 head doesn't have double valve springs, that's the 885 head. Also, I recommend picking up the new parts from, rings, bearings etc etc from our sponsor EuroItalian, great quality, and it will be cheaper.