Sign in to follow this  
stunt101

wtb: m40 engine sump

Not easy to find & not cheap. Wish you luck!

What did you do? Smash it? I smashed mine a while ago, not good. :unsure:

Not easy to find & not cheap. Wish you luck!

What did you do? Smash it? I smashed mine a while ago, not good. :unsure:

yeah it has a crack and my oil is leaking slowly. how much did u get the sump for?

The bottom half was $25 (not sure if you charged me post?) from Forrest (he did have the top half but it was damaged so he preferred to sell me the bottom bit only). I bought the top half from SilverFox which was $60, if I remember rightly. Then the seals (top & bottom) were $37 all up from BMWarehouse. I was a lucky one, was looking at $150+ for both parts from a Wrecker. The 320i etc are easier to find, I think? But dont fit...was a told a 316i Sump fits though.

How big is the crack & is it the bottom or top half? You may be able to get it welded if not too big - but price will depend whether easier to buy a new one or fix it.

When I smashed mine, the bottom bit was destroyed and the top bit just had a bit broken off, which sucked so much cos it was such a small piece but still needed replacing.

Edited by Shady

How big is the crack & is it the bottom or top half? You may be able to get it welded if not too big - but price will depend whether easier to buy a new one or fix it.

the crack is only around 2cm long on the bottom half.. il ask around where i can get it welded but i heard it will be hard to weld because its alloy. im going to try patch it up this week.

anyone know what material to use?

the crack is only around 2cm long on the bottom half.. il ask around where i can get it welded but i heard it will be hard to weld because its alloy. im going to try patch it up this week.

Welding is possible. My sump has been welded, alright job done. It happened before I bought the car and it looks as if the sump was removed because they used trusty old gasket cement to seal it back up and it left a mess.

Get prices for welding first as Should be someone on here with a sump to sell...just keep bumping. If welding isnt too expensive, then might aswell.

My top half of my sump, the bit that broke off, I may get it fixed, depending on what it'll cost. If too much, I'll just scrap it.

It would need to come off and be cleaned properly for welding. You cant weld alloy impregnated with oil.

Shouldn't be a problem to weld a small crack in it. And refit the sump with a new gasket.

have two atm,80 bucks pick up from mt roskill.

Post #1, go for the above deal! If yours is 2 parts and you need both & the above is for both parts, go for it! Not really gonna get any cheaper.

Not really gonna get any cheaper.

Indeed - M40s are so extremely rare in NZ people usually have to end up importing parts from Germany.

If only there were 318i's everywhere...

I learnt that the hard way. A local wrecker wanted $150 for the complete sump. And lucky I found this forum cos I got both parts for $85 all up (off 2 members on here - 1 bit of each person).

So P#1- dont let that deal walk away...if I had the cash I'd buy it for a spare!

I learnt that the hard way. A local wrecker wanted $150 for the complete sump. And lucky I found this forum cos I got both parts for $85 all up (off 2 members on here - 1 bit of each person).

So P#1- dont let that deal walk away...if I had the cash I'd buy it for a spare!

Posted Image