Sign in to follow this  
kurtyb

HELP! transmission fluid for and e30

what would be the best automatic transmission fluid for an 4- HP22 gearbox? and about howmany liters?

what would be the best automatic transmission fluid for an 4- HP22 gearbox? and about howmany liters?

Not sure what would be best, but any would do I'd say. They take a fair bit of fluid if you have to fill it up empty, perhaps 7litres? not 100% sure.

G3 full synthetic is the right oil... what are you doing though. Oil change or trans service ?

G3 full synthetic is the right oil... what are you doing though. Oil change or trans service ?

i just put a replacement box in and now i want to put some atf oil in it?

i just put a replacement box in and now i want to put some atf oil in it?

You'll need between 4 & 6 litres

My mate replaced the gearbox in his car the other day and he put an "entire 2l bottle" of ATF in it and wondered why it wasn't shifting nicely. They take a fair bit.

My mate replaced the gearbox in his car the other day and he put an "entire 2l bottle" of ATF in it and wondered why it wasn't shifting nicely. They take a fair bit.

Lol more like he was wondering why it wouldnt move unless he revved it to 4k.

Glenn already told you what oil to use.

iv asked around and alot of people say dextron 3?

DX3 is the spec and the most common type. Glenn's suggestion is good. I use Penrite BMV which is a semi synthetic Penrite claim is specifically formulated for ZF transmissions. I'm happy with it, shifts are very smooth. Can be ordered through Supercheap. From memory it's about $45 for 4 litres plus frieght. I generally use around 3 litres per service. You'll need a lot more if your filling from empty.