Sign in to follow this  
Kaz

So I'm thinking about buying an e36...

Hey everyone,

As the title says I'm thinking about buying an e36. I want a change from my e30 which I'm currently trying to sell.

I just wanted to know if there were any common problems that a lot of e36's have?

Anything I should look out for before I buy one?

How different would to be driving compaired to my e30?

Or is there just some general advice I should know before getting one.

I'm thinking about something along the lines of BMW 318i 1994 or BMW 325 1995. I would want it to be 1994+ and would prefer a 320/325 over a 318. Definately has to have the m3 body kit :P as its one of the main things I like about them.

Thanks for any help or advice,

Kaz

Avoid the jap import 5 speed autos like the plague.

Avoid the jap import 5 speed autos like the plague.

Any particular reason why?

Never really looked into e36's untill lately and realised I rather like them now but dont really know much about them.

Any particular reason why?

Never really looked into e36's untill lately and realised I rather like them now but dont really know much about them.

The Japanese imported E36's with the M50 and M52 engines + 5 speed auto have a JATCO transmission, basically its rubbish and made for Nissans, I used to have one of these cars, the car ended up having a nasty jerk when changing from 1st to 2nd and sometimes the tranmission went into fail safe mode on me also.

If you get one in auto it needs to have the ZF transmission.

I now have 2x E30's instead of the E36, so it looks like we are total opposites :)

Driving wise, the E36 is of course a more refined car, its also alot heavier, I found mine rather boat like to be honest, however it had 130,000ks on the clock and original suspension, the M SPEC ones have harder suspension and should handle better, they also have nicer more supportive seats in them.

from memory the 318IS has the normal 4 speed ZF auto, even in Jap import form, its not a super fast car or anything, but in 2dr Coupe motorsport trim form they might be nice to drive handling wise.

Edited by Charles28

The Japanese imported E36's with the M50 and M52 engines + 5 speed auto have a JATCO transmission, basically its rubbish and made for Nissans, I used to have one of these cars, the car ended up having a nasty jerk when changing from 1st to 2nd and sometimes the tranmission went into fail safe mode on me also.

If you get one in auto it needs to have the ZF transmission.

I now have 2x E30's instead of the E36, so it looks like we are total opposites :)

Driving wise, the E36 is of course a more refined car, its also alot heavier, I found mine rather boat like to be honest, however it had 130,000ks on the clock and original suspension, the M SPEC ones have harder suspension and should handle better, they also have nicer more supportive seats in them.

Ill keep that in mind.

Just really after a change. Seeing my e30 is the ONLY car I have owned and one of the only ones I have driven.

Will be very sad to see it go though :(

Dooooo It!!! E36ers are on the rise. ^_^

Haha will do :D

I am very interested in this one... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=229960258. I asked him to post up a few more pics of it. What does anyone think about it? Reasonable price for what it is?

To be honest, the shape of E36's is sweet- Other than that,namely the earlier low spec 318s etc are not much different to E30's in terms of options.

Gah! How can you possibly even think about upgrading? ;)

I would perhaps pursue a 325 or bigger, depending on how much the owner wants and your budget can stretch. You might be disappointed with the lack of power in a heavier car with only the il4, while your probably not getting much or any better fuel consumption chosing the 318.

How different would to be driving compaired to my e30?

less fun. Edited by brockie123

maybe this one ;)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-216160358.htm

its a manual ,forget about the auto's.

easy enough to fit a mtec body kit .

(have one stock for sale )

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

3 letters, well one letter, 2 numbers

e30

Get one :)

Gah! How can you possibly even think about upgrading? ;)

I would perhaps pursue a 325 or bigger, depending on how much the owner wants and your budget can stretch. You might be disappointed with the lack of power in a heavier car with only the il4, while your probably not getting much or any better fuel consumption chosing the 318.

Lets consider it "downgrading" then :P

I would really prefer a 325. If that one in the link I posted a few comments ago was a 325, I would buy it without thinking twice.

maybe this one ;)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-216160358.htm

its a manual ,forget about the auto's.

easy enough to fit a mtec body kit .

(have one stock for sale )

The KM's seem quite high though. How much would an mtech body kit cost? Because I have seen a couple nice, cheaper ones but they don't have the kit.

3 letters, well one letter, 2 numbers

e30

Get one :)

I have one.

Edited by Kaz

What are you wanting for your e30? ?

Edit: speak english ffs.

Edited by westy

What are you wanting for your e30? ?

Edit: speak english ffs.

Who are you saying that too?

go the e36. stay away from auto though and stay away from anything under 320i or else your wasting your time

go the e36. stay away from auto though and stay away from anything under 320i or else your wasting your time

Yeah I would love a 325 or 328 but would be happy with anything above a 320.

Lets consider it "downgrading" then :P

I would really prefer a 325. If that one in the link I posted a few comments ago was a 325, I would buy it without thinking twice.

The KM's seem quite high though. How much would an mtech body kit cost? Because I have seen a couple nice, cheaper ones but they don't have the kit.

I have one.

k's dont realy mater on these engines , they will do plenty of k's as long as they have been serviced and are not over heated , plenty of m50 and m52 engines with 300-400,000km on them.

the rest of the running gear is pretty straight forward , no real issues there ,

motorsport kit would be about $1000 depending on condition etc .

but if you where to buy the car as well then we can talk .

cheers ,you are welcome to come and view and test drive etc .

in papakura

Buy mine! 1996 323i coupe m52 2.5, 70ish kms, hellrot red, gearbox been reconned, mspec from factory, 1/2 leather sports seats, sunroof etc. pm for more details.

Who are you saying that too?

yea i think the 'mods ' edited my post for text' speaking. how much are you wanting for your e30?

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e36/f...8155&page=1

This could be of some help to an E36 buyer....its in the F.A.Q. section

Edit: Although besiders the dash Airbag light, ive never had a problem with my E36 in the 3 years ive owned mine, they run forever

Edited by Blackie

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e36/f...8155&page=1

This could be of some help to an E36 buyer....its in the F.A.Q. section

Edit: Although besiders the dash Airbag light, ive never had a problem with my E36 in the 3 years ive owned mine, they run forever

Thanks so much for that! Been looking for something similar but couldn't find it.

Some of them are so funny.

my 2 cents...

325 motors are a nicer running motor in general and in my point of view. the 2.8's seem to develop the odd vanos rattle or just general rattles and noises even at lower ks (theyre not fkd, just sound like theyre on the piss)

where as the 2.5's just seem to purr.

The jap autos are shithouse but the reason we find out theyre sh*t house is because of the population and traffic issues in japan, there is more starting and stopping through 1st and 2nd and at times 3rd than there is actual driving.. so it wears the box out pretty quickly. You can... get them adjusted believe it or not to smoothen the rough 1st to 2nd gear change, but it WILL come back and eventually need a rebuild or replacement.

If your looking at 97-98 model E36's, a few of them you will notice the led's in the milage reading are all over the show. it doesnt mean its been tampered with, its just a common fault that can be fixed by re-soldering the points on the back of the board.

Automatic-up on the windows play up and go back down - u just hold the UP button hard down and it goes up.

Once you pull the dash apart including the glove box, you will NEVER get the glove box to line up flush again when its shut.

water pumps tend to go on some models ( not sure why or when or how but just heard that one through the bimmersport grape vine)

and the E36 shape/car/paint what ever.. is nitorious! for stone chips. again thats a personal opinion but they do seem to collect the chips very quickly.

Oh and final thing ill say is i personally reckon the E30 is a farrr nicer and ease to drive. and comfortable to be in the drivers seat of. feels like your right at home. E36's dont seem to be as in control of-feeling when driving. But still my favourite bmw other than of coarse the latest M3 and 335i :D

good luck in the purchase dude