Sign in to follow this  
Matty104

e30 overheating, help needed ASAP

so it opened uo when i just boiled it , what next haha?

double check that it only fits in one way, if it fits both ways do some google research to find the correct way incase it was backwards .

then next is to check the two heater pipes at fire wall. see if both are the same temp in and out when heater is set to hot. just to eliminate a jam in the heater unit

When I did my thermostat on monday, it took us a very long time to get the air out the system.

before we had the air out, the temprature would shoot upto three quater mark.

Now that it's working correctly, the temprature won't go past the first mark after blue.

Haha, Probably. I had never bled any cars beforehand.

Am i the only one that's never had a problem bleeding the m20? lol.

haha ive never had an issue either, when i first started playing with m20s 7 years ago i didnt even know what bleeding the water was and still managed to miss out on all the overheating fun and dramas haha

Guest FrantiC

ONly problem I ever had was my first m20 had a broken thermostat, I just replaced it added water like I'd seen my old man do in his cars with the heather on full ball warm it up keep adding water and done.

Never touched the bleed screw in my life lol.

ONly problem I ever had was my first m20 had a broken thermostat, I just replaced it added water like I'd seen my old man do in his cars with the heather on full ball warm it up keep adding water and done.

Never touched the bleed screw in my life lol.

Everytime I have tried to bleed an m20 i open the bleed screw but nothing comes out, its just there for show im sure

Guest MAxx

Am i the only one that's never had a problem bleeding the m20? lol.

Never had a problem myself. Just open the bleeder and let it run untill the thermostat opens up and the bubbles stop. Oh and turn the heater on aswell.

Bled many M20s, & many times. Some straight forward, some a bitch.

I find best way 2/3 fill, bleed screw open, heater open & bring up to temp (thermostat open) Top up, leaving bleed open until water out then shut.

Guest FrantiC

The bleed screws get blocked from the inside. I remember I took the screw out of one which was allen head to a bolt head one, cos I didn't wanna have an allen key style one on mine... The hole was gunked over hardout and packed with sh*t. Had the scrape it out.

i too thought the bolt was there for show, Lol.

The old bmw tech trick drilling a hole at 12 o clock arrow helps. I just pressurize the system and use compressed air or my mouth to push to air out

We vacuum fill our cooling systems and don't have these issues... but the gear is a bit expensive

The thermostat should only fit one way (Foot into the motor) the flow of the water is bottom up so the foot will release in the direction of flow.

MAxx the cooling system should always heat up the temperatures of your combustion chamber will always bring them up to operating temp but may take twice as long, sounds like you temp gauge may have failed?

Haha my cooling system doesnt even have a bleed screw! Bitch to bleed I tell ya.. John apparantly your only meant to turn the heater on but not have it at full blare or on full temp.

Seriously Matt I would just take the thermostat out and see what happenes.. if that doesnt fix it which sounds like the t/stat is fine its most likely to be an air lock, crack in a hose, blockage or worse case crack in your head/headgasket which is still a possiblity like John said.

The old bmw tech trick drilling a hole at 12 o clock arrow helps. I just pressurize the system and use compressed air or my mouth to push to air out

All fixed, had my spare radiator all fixed up with new seals and flow tested to get it running 100%, and still had the problem, drilled the hole at "12" on the t-stat and Wa-La all fixed ,

thanks for the help guys , much appreciated