Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

WTB: m30b35

Im looking for a m30 with lowest kms possible. Must be 1989+ 3.5L from the e34 or e32.

Im looking for a m30 with lowest kms possible. Must be 1989+ 3.5L from the e34 or e32.

why 1989plus ??

e32 started in 1987

e34 in 1988

same engine 9:1 compression ratio .

only difference is some of the early 87/88 ones have casting in the blocks for both engine mounting positions etc.

larger valves and the coolant entrance is at the front rather than rear on pre 87 engines.

Do I smell a m30 turbo ? :unsure:

nt yet :ph34r:

larger valves and the coolant entrance is at the front rather than rear on pre 87 engines.

yes only the inlet valve is 1mm larger on the later 87 e32 - 88 e34 onward engines and maybe sleightly bigger porting on those too.

not sure about the coolant thing though , i have the later e28 e24 e23 heads look much the same as the e34 and e32 heads .

the e28 has a little water pipe fitting coming off the back of the head but the e34/e32 just has a blanking plate bolted to it to cover the hole

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E28/Seda.../cylinder_head/

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E32/Seda.../cylinder_head/

or are refering to the early 3.5L engines from about 1979 to 1982/83 etc which have different water jackets, different bore stroke ratio etc etc

Any m30 pre 82 had the coolant entrance on the rear of the head, not sure about pre 87 but anything after 87 should be fine. Im just looking for the most modern m30, ie less kms of course. Plus the lack of coolant entrance on the rear enables the engine to be put further back.

A M50 or M52 would be alot easier to fit than a M30 Andrew.... I know....been there. A M20 2.8 stroker would even be cheaper & easier as well. What happened to the S50 project ? I also thought you were selling the car or is this a completely different project ?

BTW: The coolant fitting on the rear of some of the M30's is an outlet for the heater, it supplies water to the heater tap.

If your really going down this track, I have some good info links on the subject and quite a bit of gear to do this conversion at work.

Edited by *Glenn*

Huddy bro, you sound like me, change your mind more than you change your socks..I love it ^_^

Any m30 pre 82 had the coolant entrance on the rear of the head, not sure about pre 87 but anything after 87 should be fine. Im just looking for the most modern m30, ie less kms of course. Plus the lack of coolant entrance on the rear enables the engine to be put further back.

a later e28 e23 e24 engine is still a good choice they make more power and torque than the later engines, they use 10:1 compression pistons .

but the e34 /e32 engines have a better tidier engine loom and run later motronic 1.3 etc .

best combo is e28 /e23 /e24 84 onwards engine with e34/e32 loom and ecu set up .

Got a e32 3.5L motor.

ran fine,and started easy.

did a compression check the other day for someone else who

was keen on it-didnt hear back.

numbers came up to 155-160psi across all six.

test was done cold,so should show better number hot.

can sell loom and ecu

cheers marty

Huddy bro, you sound like me, change your mind more than you change your socks..I love it ^_^

Yeah thats why im not gna say anything till its done. Will take some pics on the way so i can do a full write up.

Found a good cond m30 at mosen in hamilton. but thanks for that marty

heya mate,

I've just done an M30 3.5 E30 conversion

If you require engine mounts I can supply them

cheers

Jon