Sign in to follow this  
bellicose

Stay away from Te Rapa rd tonight.

Im far from anti fun. im not going to say i dont speed ocasionally either, But if you are dumb enough to follow a lame trail of cars, from park up spot to park up spot. In your more than likely stock engined ricer To race against other people with similar mentality's then really you are asking for police to harass you.

So dont bother complaining about it.

Get a perm

Edited by 323e30

IT's too damm easy to get your licence... YOU SHOULD NOT BE TAUGHT BY YOUR FOLKS!

You should need to attended driver training, skid pan, and car control classes...

IT SHOULD BE MANDATORY IN SCHOOL!!!

I reckon that to sit your restricted and full test you should have to have a log book stamped / signed by an official instructor ... which if schools offered driver training, then that instructor could sign / stamp your log book.

The log book should have different aspects of driving and only once you have proven you are confident in each section, then it gets signed off.

You could also incorporate the advanced driver training into that system ... ie the skid pan, car control classes etc etc could be one of the modules you have to get signed off in your book.

Even without those changes, maybe the government could at least subsidise the professional lessons ... last I heard it's up around $50 to $60 for a 1 hour lesson .. out of the reach of quite a few young people, especially if you require 8 to 10+ lessons.

I agree.

Driving lessons are wicked. I learnt so much from my lessons when I was learning to drive.

I feel they are more benefiticial than defensive driving courses, as actually driving and being behind the wheel whilst being taught is more hands on compared to sitting in a room filling out bookwork.

Pardon me, for the swaying from the "Car Crushing Laws".

OT but... When I learnt to drive, defensive driving courses were all about being behind the wheel and gaining practical knowledge. Has this changed?

Edited by zenetti

OT but... When I learnt to drive, defensive driving courses were all about being behind the wheel and gaining practical knowledge. Has this changed?

back in 95 / 96 when i got my licence the defensive driving course consisted of driving around the block... Nothing really special.. Had to do a min of 4 lessions to cut the time needed to get my next stage... No Full Licence Test back then... The restricted test was driving around the block in Orewa...

MS BM:

Personally $50 - $60 is nothing when you compare the cost of oversea's licencing cost like Germany..

http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t42662.html

"I did mine about 2 years ago in Frankfurt. The whole thing cost about €2,000. This included mock exams, eye test, theory test, driving test, lessons, mock exams and so on. Their is a minumum number of theory hours you have to attend and a minimum number of hours you must spend in the car"

You are also required to have a first aid course completed also..

I use to work from 6pm to 2am every Friday and Saturday night when i was 16-18 to pay for sports, car, buses, etc... It's really funny as when i was that age my disposable income (living with the folks) was a lot more than what i've got now...

Edited by DRTDVL

30% of this country is young people who love driving their cars...

How the f**k did you come up with that figure.

How the f**k did you come up with that figure.

+1

Was reading that and had no idea how he got that statistic.

The Defensive driving course at the moment is bullsh*t.

6 in class lessons, learning NOTHING. and one practical test simlpy telling you how to pass your full licence test.

there is no way to fail this, get a $170 check and 6 months scraped off your restricted!

EDIT: 4 in class lessons. lol

Edited by Wervie67

So would everyone here recommend me not to do it?

So would everyone here recommend me not to do it?

Hey mate, I just finished my Defensive driving course, and sorry but its only 4 lessons to whoever aboce said that its 6. Yeh I would recommend doing it, if you have a good instructor but you don't know if you have a good one until you start. :(. My instructor just talked about his drifting expericences on gravel and his panel N' Paint shops.

Learnt a bit of stuff though, some useful stuff in it.

if you need the extra 6 months off the restricted, then do it. otherwise save yourself some money and just do the $60 AA lessons. saves you from not doing the in class sessions.

not sure about this, but does the defensive course help lower insurance?

if you need the extra 6 months off the restricted, then do it. otherwise save yourself some money and just do the $60 AA lessons. saves you from not doing the in class sessions.

not sure about this, but does the defensive course help lower insurance?

It does for me and my sister :)

I've done that defensive driving course twice now. Once for my car licence and one for my motorcycle licence. I basically slept through it all. Silly thing is, even if you are doing it to get 6 months off your motorcycle licence you still have to go and drive around town in a car with the instructor... and i had had my full car licence for 4 years..

Edited by Mark247

ProDrive is a step in the right direction...

You get to drive a car with no ABS and learn how to brake properly.

Defensives are far too easy.

^^^

how do you get into that man. i know there is/was some driving course at Ruapuna (chch) but its far to expensive.

^^^

how do you get into that man. i know there is/was some driving course at Ruapuna (chch) but its far to expensive.

This scary man came along around highschools, and urged us all do it.

this was free.

Guest FrantiC

Apparently there is another protest planned in Rotorua this time , 18th sept. . . Fun.

Was reading that and had no idea how he got that statistic.

Come on man, everyone knows 87% of statistics are made up on the spot.

sorry but its only 4 lessons to whoever aboce said that its 6.

I was talking about back in 95 / 96 not 09 so 13 / 14 years ago

Ah the good old days.

I had to watch a video with heaps of Holden’s in it then do a multi choice test and then I had to collect my pre-sighted certificate off a table… no driving necessary.

Did anyone fail these?

I did an anti-skid training course which I'm sure is no longer available. Was fun - not that helpful, but fun.

Im far from anti fun. im not going to say i dont speed ocasionally either, But if you are dumb enough to follow a lame trail of cars, from park up spot to park up spot. In your more than likely stock engined ricer To race against other people with similar mentality's then really you are asking for police to harass you.

So dont bother complaining about it.

Get a perm

This is so true. I bet if "boy racers" (I also dislike the term) did the following, there would be no police issues:

- drive around without disturbing the public (ie, cars not too loud, not too late)

- no alcohol in the streets and associated problems

- no burnouts, no racing

It also wouldn't be what those young-uns term "fun". So basically the problem is the police want to restrict the fun simply because it disturbs the peace. Unfortunately, that's a fact, rather than opinion.