Sign in to follow this  
bigrob

Car Accident

Was waiting to turn right at an intersection, a van coming from the opposite direction turning left stops to give way to me (as you should)and as I start moving another car comes from behind the waiting van, 'overtakes' it and we crash in the middle of the intersection.I dont think I was at fault, but I could be wrong.I need to hear other opinions before writing the incident report at work tomorrow morning( was driving a work car)

My brother had the same thing happen.

Think he got done because it is the drivers responsibility to make sure that it is completly clear before pulling out of an intersection or something like that.

I'm pretty sure it would be your fault as you were supposed to give way to them, even if it was difficult to see.

How bad was the damage? Everyone alright?

Pretty sure its a case where if the vehicle behind overtook legally, then you would be at fault... unfortunately you have right of way only in a situation where there are no following vehicles/the following vehicles are also turning/the turning vehicle is completely blocking the lane

Yep,fraid so.

If the other guy was going straight through then you are at fault regardless,

One of the reasons no other country in the world has this ridiculous give way rule.

Law as I remember:

If turning - give way to all traffic not turning

In all other situations - give way to traffic turning or approaching from your right.

As other had said it, you are at fault as you are turning and the other guy not. It won't matter if he's overtaking or not.

Firstly the f**kwit in the van for not using his rear view mirrors, secondly you for not looking beyond the van. Stupid give way rule.

Guest FrantiC

How far out where you ? If he pulled out after you were already turning then wouldn't it be their fault?

In other words did you smack into the side of them, or did they smack into the side of you, or head on?

How far out where you ? If he pulled out after you were already turning then wouldn't it be their fault?

In other words did you smack into the side of them, or did they smack into the side of you, or head on?

this is just dumb.

if i pull in front of you and you hit me in the side, it's your fault because YOU hit ME??? even though i only gave you 3 metres to stop???

geeez

Guest FrantiC

Lol I don't mean it like that, Just trying to picture it in my head. Cos if they hit the side of him then he must have already pulled out and turned before the other car started moving out.

I'm not saying who hit sides is at fault, Cos obviously he may have sped out to try beat that car and got clipped or something......

Gah nvm lol I sound like an idiot :blink:

there is the b/c pillar sort of rule...

if you get hit in front of it then you shouldn't have turned, if you get hit behind it the other person's fault for failing to stop...

i'm probably wrong but thats what i thought it was...

Edited by DRTDVL

nah thats still crap

To clear things up a little, was it something like this?

Posted Image

You being the blue car, the van being the red car, and the silver car coming straight through the one hit.

If so then surely you would have to give way to the silver car as it has right of way.

You did not have right of way. The cars coming straight through the intersection have right of way. If the van was completely blocking the whole road intentionally to let you go then that would have been alright. But seeing the van was obviously moved over enough for the vehicles behind to continue on their road then you were crossing their path.

take away the give way sign. and remove the rad and silver cars

blue car has to give way to green car, green car pulls out and is hit by a car coming past the left of the blue car.

blue car should have checked his mirror, seen the other car and turned right. However the green car should have looked harder and seen the car coming.

Common situation at entrances to supermarkets or roads with no give way sign.

It doesn't matter where one car hit another, the person who turned out in front is at fault as they crossed the path of the other car.

Failing to give way is when you cause vehicles whose path you're crossing to brake or take action to avoid you.

Guest FrantiC

I did not mean when i said where the cars got hit was whos fault it would be.. I was asking if you had already started pullnig out. But I understood the situation differentley thinking it was a cross road intersection and both you and the van were at opposing giveways..