Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

E46 330i (07/2001) Throttle Response

And as Wayne knows ... its also the reason I haven't installed his headers just yet. I need to get on top of this problem first before introducing new components that and attempting to remap MS43/DME.

Im just happy to know im not the only person having this problem. I was beggining to think i was going crazy. And yes I think the 'E46 no fault code but theres a problem' section is a good idea. lol :P In hot weather do you notice a physical change in the pedal itself? Mine feels like it goes 'notchy'

No change in actual pedal feel as its not connected to any throttle cable. Its a static potentiometer.

You will find that when you floor it on some days .. there is almost no angry sound from the Cam.

There are some days in winter where I floor it .. and its so powerful my 265 rear tires break loose. The sound from the cam is far more agressive.

This is the DME controlling VANOS and in turn the retard or advance of the cam

No change in actual pedal feel as its not connected to any throttle cable. Its a static potentiometer.

You will find that when you floor it on some days .. there is almost no angry sound from the Cam.

There are some days in winter where I floor it .. and its so powerful my 265 rear tires break loose. The sound from the cam is far more agressive.

This is the DME controlling VANOS and in turn the retard or advance of the cam

Yea I did notice that also. ive flooered it a few times and the rear brakes loose but other times my mums 318 feels faster. haha Ive heard of some poeple converting their flyby wire throttles to cable throttle somehow. Have you done any research on this? But im guessing the brain of the 330 wont let you do this. Not easily anyways..

Yea I did notice that also. ive flooered it a few times and the rear brakes loose but other times my mums 318 feels faster. haha Ive heard of some poeple converting their flyby wire throttles to cable throttle somehow. Have you done any research on this? But im guessing the brain of the 330 wont let you do this. Not easily anyways..

Only done when using the 330 motor in another car. You cant do it in the 330 though

Only done when using the 330 motor in another car. You cant do it in the 330 though

Im starting to see how stubborn the 330 really is.

Im starting to see how stubborn the 330 really is.

It gets a lot worse on later cars. Thats why you can do alot more with all pre 1998 cars, mod wise.

The main thing to take from this is you'll (like me) have a sensor problem somewhere.

No body (in this country) that I know of has successfully fixed it. Even the dealers who have access to far more information dont have a fix for it. I'm pretty chummy with the AKL ones so get to talk to their senior mechanics a lot.

My next step is to start measuring outputs from different sensors with an occilliscope as there has been talk of sensors going 'dull'.

The ECU is trained to read a dull sensor and account for it. But I feel it is a combination of aucklands weather climate (muggy weather) a sensor or two and how the ECU deals with all of these varibles.

* A few things slowing the fix of this problem is lack of second hand parts that are known good.

* The price of new parts for a replace and test approach (what im doing currently as funds allow me to do)

* I was going to try was going to gavin @ hi velocity as he has all the aftermarket equipment to test what the engine is actually doing, however my schedule and his never seem to line up. This also costs a lot money. The other thing is as you know its intimitant and weather dependant.

The whole thing really does point to o2 sensors ... Will tell you when I have a spare $2400 laying around :)

The main thing to take from this is you'll (like me) have a sensor problem somewhere.

No body (in this country) that I know of has successfully fixed it. Even the dealers who have access to far more information dont have a fix for it. I'm pretty chummy with the AKL ones so get to talk to their senior mechanics a lot.

My next step is to start measuring outputs from different sensors with an occilliscope as there has been talk of sensors going 'dull'.

The ECU is trained to read a dull sensor and account for it. But I feel it is a combination of aucklands weather climate (muggy weather) a sensor or two and how the ECU deals with all of these varibles.

* A few things slowing the fix of this problem is lack of second hand parts that are known good.

* The price of new parts for a replace and test approach (what im doing currently as funds allow me to do)

* I was going to try was going to gavin @ hi velocity as he has all the aftermarket equipment to test what the engine is actually doing, however my schedule and his never seem to line up. This also costs a lot money. The other thing is as you know its intimitant and weather dependant.

The whole thing really does point to o2 sensors ... Will tell you when I have a spare $2400 laying around :)

Yea thats what ive heard. Trail and error when it comes to cas is very expensive. But its the only way sometimes. Im taking my car to Glenn tomorrow. So he'll check it out and see if everything is 'showing' as working. Then I guess I'll go from there. At least then I'll know what isnt the problem. lol

Buy a really nice low Km E36... spend money... and you will get results from your $$$. And you can also get an E36 to out perform any E46 that is out there. Dollars spent on an E36 will far outway the dollar pit you have in owning an E46... I'll go and hide now

The problem is.. the e36 is a fairly boring car compared to an e46. Not trying to start something :P Ive owned all and much prefer the e46 as a daily driver.

I think the issue here is it will be something simple and relatively cheap to fix. Its just finding out what it is, and this is what breeds frustration.

The problem is.. the e36 is a fairly boring car compared to an e46. Not trying to start something :P Ive owned all and much prefer the e46 as a daily driver.

I think the issue here is it will be something simple and relatively cheap to fix. Its just finding out what it is, and this is what breeds frustration.

Yea ive thought about getting an E36. But ive already had one and I really love the way the E46 looks. ( I know alot of poeple will disagree with this) hehe. It probably is a small thing.But whatever it is I want it gone! As do many other 330 owners im sure. The U.S ZHP (330 performance model) dosnt seem to have any of these problems. Maybe we can learn something from this car?

The ZHP is the same as a normal euro m-technik/motorsport 330 e46. A normal euro msport e46 has the same engine and performace as a regular 330ci/i.

The yanks get jipped on performance all normal cars are slightly underpower compared to regular euro models. they bring out these other models (ZHP / clubsport etc etc) to have something 'extra' to sell.

Remember alot of US ZHP's are still 03-05 cars and haven't travelled over 100000 ks to experience these problems.

A cheap and easy way around this is to just go out and buy carsoft and the dongle for around $250 and just reset your adaptions yourself if its really getting to you.

Unfortunitly theyre not BMW original parts.

Qaulity/longevity is a real issue with non OE parts especially around sensors. (just a general info for would be e46 owners)

So I took my 330 to Glenn today to hook up a scanner and what not. At first a fault came up regarding the exhaust camshaft sensor. Glenn cleared this and it did not return. We also did a driving scan and all was well. He then cleared all the adaptive data and on this test drive the car performed beautifully. Seriously its never responded so well!

Anyways after I left the workshop I drove to Remuera to pick something up and on the way the car went back to its old habbits. 'Sticky' pedal has returned and performance feels like its down again. :( I'll have to take it back to see if its because the camshaft sensor fault has returned. The outside air temperature did get alot hotter during the drive if thats anything to go by. Im kind of hoping when that when Glenn does scan it again the cam fault will come up. It could be the thing that fixes this!

Edit :Exhaust Camshaft...not crankshaft...lets keep our fingers crossed

Edited by *Glenn*

... and here I am bringing up this topic again. After firther research I think I might be onto a strong lead. BMW did a recall on certain fly by wire E46 models. (mainly the 330i/ci) Syptoms to look out for were a notchy pedal feel and rough power deliver at times, especially in high ambient temperatures. The solution is to have the pedal module replaced. This is something im definatly going to try and if this dosnt work then I give up.. Does anyone know where I can buy one. I guess i'll have to get one from an authorised dealership? Its probably going to be like a million dollars. :mellow: