Sign in to follow this  
dirtydoogle

The e12 project

This is the e12 project :) I have done a few of the dents in my spare time. Still trying to decide what colour to do her.

I just scored another motor and box for her. I have had to make two patches, one on the right passenger door and one under the bonnet. Apart from that there was sweet f.a rust

The gearbox is shagged, I would think input shaft bearings are rooted

post-4655-1251522874.jpg

post-4655-1251522968.jpg

post-4655-1251522990.jpg

post-4655-1251523001.jpg

post-4655-1251523039.jpg

post-4655-1251523064.jpg

post-4655-1251523086.jpg

Hmm jacked her up today to see why I was getting a wee knock in the back, turns out some dumb f%^k has cut the rear springs. I hate cut springs

Stink. I am watching this project with interest by the way, coz some part of me really likes e12s.

Stink. I am watching this project with interest by the way, coz some part of me really likes e12s.

Will have new springs very soon I hope and I have two gear box offers to consider :D People around here are extremely helpful

Got the ugly bog primed and flattened. Found another cute rust spot in the left rear door, looks like I will be making another patch for her....Will get a picture of the bit I cut out of the right rear door too.

Slowly making progress.

New springs and gearbox/clutch to be in soon. Nothing is worse than cut springs and poorly hidden rust....reminds me of mates cefiros.....

Quick update, new springs are in the rear. Engine and box are out, I'm sick of the smoking. Diff has new seals in her :D

I have a sh*tty 202 and trimatic floating around, that will be going in until I have the real motor sorted.

All of the body work is done, now to prep for paint! I do love a long term project, it lets everything be perfect.

Will post up pics when I manage to get the new camera to work.

Any suggestions on color choice?

+1. Yeah a nice orange could look good. Else maybe a light bluey-grey colour? Just my suggestion anyway.

EDIT: Just saw a really nice maroon coloured e12 which suited it also.

Edited by Kaz

+1. Yeah a nice orange could look good. Else maybe a light bluey-grey colour? Just my suggestion anyway.

EDIT: Just saw a really nice maroon coloured e12 which suited it also.

The orange one is an E28 isn't it?

I'm in love with the maroon one and that is one of the top colours on my list, it's bloody yummy

The orange one is an E28 isn't it?

I'm in love with the maroon one and that is one of the top colours on my list, it's bloody yummy

Yeah it kinda looks like it although the caption under it was "The E12 BMW 5-series is also a rare sight on a drift course anywhere in the world." I was more showing the colour.

Yeah that maroon looks so good!

I thought so, as it had big/little lights like an E28....

I was thinking about gunmetal grey.

But I have to think of something that will look nice on the car with standard wheels and bumpers

The burgandy is really sexy though.

^^ This would be good with the V8.

Sleeper style.

I agree, should be a barrel of laughs too with 14 inch wheels. I'll throw the 202 in within the next few weeks [and get depressed with it's lack of power/torque] and finally have a mobile, rust free and straight bodied E12. Then the V8 parts buying starts.

I have a friend with a 350 chev block I could use, it has a small scar in one bore, so, a 383ci kit may be something to consider. It's either that or buy a "grease pack" 350 and throw new pistons, rings etc into it. Will only cost me $400-500 depending if I go with new pistons or not. Good cheap power!

210kw 286hp 400Nm

and they rev to 6500rpm .

and weigh a lot less than a cast iron push rod v8 .

good bang for buck i reckon

This is gonna be so badass, keep up the updates mate :)

Cheers! :D

210kw 286hp 400Nm

and they rev to 6500rpm .

and weigh a lot less than a cast iron push rod v8 .

good bang for buck i reckon

Not much grunt as I say sorry :P . I can get a 350 revving higher than 6500 if I wanted, I want some real torque. A 350 is going to cost less to build unless I decide to go with 75cc heads. The weight isn't too much of an issue to me. Nothing wrong with pushrods :P:)

There is no doubting the m60 is a brilliant motor, but not my choice in this case, if I had an e21 it would be a different story

I had a 186 Torana once. That was depressing.

Ya cant beat 5.7 litres of cast iron grunt, and I be surprised if the weight was that different.

Needs a 5 speed manual though. That would be fun.

I had a 186 Torana once. That was depressing.

Ya cant beat 5.7 litres of cast iron grunt, and I be surprised if the weight was that different.

Needs a 5 speed manual though. That would be fun.

The 186 and 202 are both terribly depressing, I got the 202 I'm throwing in the E12 [temporary measure] for $180 with a box.

I must agree, the Chev isn't as heavy as people expect, it may have alot of iron, but, the cylinder heads are very compact because it hasn't got over head cams and the wiring is actually less than a m10 that came in the e12! Brilliant if you ask me. Manual is nice =D

Quick small update, car is looking somewhat sad in the shed. I pulled the rocker cover off the 202 and almost vomited...a bit greasy looking in there.

And a few nice toys from where I am working currently.

I'm hoping the photo's aren't too large.

Geuss the cars

post-4655-1258248667.jpg

post-4655-1258248741.jpg

post-4655-1258248808.jpg

post-4655-1258248838.jpg

There's a Mk2 Cortina front in the background of the first pic & the back in the 2nd :P

There's a Mk2 Cortina front in the background of the first pic & the back in the 2nd :P

Certainly is, has a new drivers side front on it too, poor beast was a bit smashed.

Here's an easier one [note all these lovely beasts are from the same collection and there are many, many more]

post-4655-1258255786.jpg