Sign in to follow this  
Shady

P/S convert to Manual

I didnt want to thread hijack, as I've already done that before by mistake so dont wanna get in trouble for doing it again.

So, how do you convert to Manual steering...

Remove pump. Hoses?...What else? What needs to be swapped over to make it Manual?

I would think you'd need a Manual steering rack?

could be wrong though.

I didnt want to thread hijack, as I've already done that before by mistake so dont wanna get in trouble for doing it again.

So, how do you convert to Manual steering...

Remove pump. Hoses?...What else? What needs to be swapped over to make it Manual?

Take the belt off....

If you want to do it right to get the benefits of a manual rack, you'll want to swap in a manual rack. The power racks are designed to be lubricated by the fluid, so just removing everything is going to mean you'll wear your rack out fairly fast. Plus, the power ones are fairly heavy without the pump connected so you'll lose a lot of steering feel.

Unless you buy a manual rack, you're wasting your time.

Although Foxy seems to have had no probs:

No, seems to run fine, we've been running a dry P/S unit in one of the race cars for 3 yrs now with no problems.

You are frustrating like a poorly designed pair of sizzors Shady.

I was said in the other thread what to do, plug zee holes and Voilà!

From research it is found that the power racks feel just like the manual racks when this is done.

Don't do it if you have a street car, your puny arms will not be able to avoid children who appear on the road suddenly and the resulting under-correction from swerving will result in flaming death.

You are frustrating like a poorly designed pair of sizzors Shady.

I was said in the other thread what to do, plug zee holes and Voilà!

From research it is found that the power racks feel just like the manual racks when this is done.

Don't do it if you have a street car, your puny arms will not be able to avoid children who appear on the road suddenly and the resulting under-correction from swerving will result in flaming death.

The e12 and hilux don't have power steering, I have no problems getting or missing children

If you drive a Hilux, you have big arms. So you can then crush the small children in your hand if you miss them with the lux.

(Also E30's have massive castor (like 8-9degrees) so the steering gets very heavy around town at big steering angles, on a racetrack there's no big steering angle and the speed is much higher to make it easy)

bollocks, manual steering is fine around town. and I had extra castor and wider tyres.

Why do you want to remove the p/s? It makes no sence. If something is wrong with the rack in the car its far easier to put a new p/s rack in

Honestly don't know why you would bother taking it out unless you have a race car.

I had manual rack in my old car, would never go back to a non power steer rack in a street car

Weld the doors shut, take out your power steering. It will make your car more practical for the every day normal driving that you do. Why dont you invent some square wheels while your at it?

Turn your wheel to full lock and keep it there until your power steering pump finally explodes.

Easy Peasy :)

typically power steering racks have a better lock to lock ratio than non-power steering racks. It's very common for people to replace non-power steering racks with power steering racks that have the ports blocked off so they arn't fighting the fuild in the lines and in the pump when turning the wheel as you would get if you where to jsut remove the belt.

Keep the power steering rack, block off the ports, remove the hoses, loop the pump curcits if you need to keep the pump for what ever reasons. Or remove the pump...

What is the differance in the rack ratios?

i know with the pugs it's a fair differance with something like 3.6 for non power steering and 3.2 for power steering... or something like that... i can't remember exactly... the quaife manual rack is 2.7 lock to lock...

Edited by DRTDVL

OK guys, settle down. Was just asking. You guys get so upset so easily over nothing?

So I guess I'll go take it to a BMW Repairer then and get the steering system checked, see whats buggered & what its gonna hit me $ wise.

Weld the doors shut, take out your power steering. It will make your car more practical for the every day normal driving that you do. Why dont you invent some square wheels while your at it?

Why not aye? If I do, would you buy some? :rolleyes:

Try replacing the 21 year old power steering fluid with some 4 week old stuff if it's not working. (I think it's ATF)

I had the same problems you described in one of your previous threads (about the steering locking a bit)

As i don't know much about p/s and did not want to do it wrong and jepodise (sp) safety i took it to my mechanic and he had to flush it 3 times completly to gt the fluid nice again,

He told me to drive it for a while and bring it back and he will flush it again , will be getting it flushed again this week, but so far it has solved all the steering problems,

This will probly be your best bet, it cost me $70 ( but that also included a few other bits and bobs i had him do while it was on the hoist)

P.s I would be keen on some of those 16 x 9's mentioned above :rolleyes:

Would you mind giving me his business name, so I could go see him about doing mine?

I have put new fluid in it. I just pulled all the hoses off, drained it, cleaned the resevoir but not the pump, then put it back together with new fresh ATF. A day later the fluid was black again lol obviously the pump is full of crap. Hopefully a good flush will sort it. If not, then will look at getting the rest of it looked at....

(Also E30's have massive castor (like 8-9degrees) so the steering gets very heavy around town at big steering angles, on a racetrack there's no big steering angle and the speed is much higher to make it easy)

False. I'm having to daily my car car once or twice a week from North Shore to East Tamaki and/or Town

Wide fronts, max castor, loop PS rack - it's not really much heavier than the E46 unless you're stationary.

I also find there's more feel compared to PS.

My 2c.

I will report back on a looped E36 rack once I have spare time to put it in.

False. I'm having to daily my car car once or twice a week from North Shore to East Tamaki and/or Town

Wide fronts, max castor, loop PS rack - it's not really much heavier than the E46 unless you're stationary.

I also find there's more feel compared to PS.

My 2c.

I will report back on a looped E36 rack once I have spare time to put it in.

Yeah I have no practical experience here, just from what I've read.

But your experience seems more reliable.

I understand how it would be great in the E30 series for that wee bit of extra power, but as a DD and a cliff road car, the steering 'easyness to turn the wheel fast' is a good thing i reckonz.

The the rally boy trick, rip an electric power steerng pump out of a later model and just use that.

As long as they are 16 by 9s

Don't you mean 16x16x9? :wacko: