Sign in to follow this  
brentf

320i E30 Race Car

Hey guys since you all have helped me out answering various questions so I thought that I would share with you my race car build do far.

Part one.

I got the shell from Ray (thanks Ray) a diamond shwartz facelift coupe. Then striped the shell down to nothing and then took to my part time job at Mitchell Race Extreme and started preping and building the roll cage.

Part two.

Once I finished that i bought it home and tipped it over and took off all the under seal.

post-2901-1252309347.jpg

Part three

Once I had done this I preped for paint and a mate of mine and i painted it on a hoist i painted the under body and the engine bay black and the inside silver. While the car was away i decided to attak the dash I decided to look into getting it flocked and it seemed a bit to expensive. So decided to get some fabric from spot light $3 per m and some contact glue and some thin alloy. I made plates to cover over the unused air vents and tray on top of the dash and made some plates to cover over the holes made to fit the dash around the roll cage. Then I used some contact glue and the fabric and covered the whole dash. Here are the pice of the dash and the painted car.

post-2901-1252309279.jpg

post-2901-1252309291.jpg

post-2901-1252309305.jpg

post-2901-1252309319.jpg

post-2901-1252309331.jpg

post-2901-1252309356.jpg

The next thing is putting the fuel system painted and back onto the car and paint the subframe make some new bushes for them and then finish the wiring.

I appreciate any comments

Thanks Brent

Edited by freemo

That Dash Looks Awesome, and loving the silver interior. Keep it up!!

Wow, that's shaping up to be a very well prepared car!

If you don't mind me asking - how did you paint the interior?

Dude that looks mint all painted inside and the engine bay. Makes me wanna strip my motor and interior out now haha.

nice work.

what is the intention for this car once finished? E30 series race car?

hey there thanks,

Yes Ollie this is hopefully destined for the e30 series. I have sitll not decided whether or not i will be the driver i may sell it before then. But we will see what happens.

Yes the cage is reasonably extensive but each bar has a purpose. It is my first cage i have built fully tig welded. I worked on teh theory that if it ahs to be a certian weight i may aswell try and make the car as rigid as possible. and put the weight as much on the diff as i can thats why the main hoop is further back than most of the cars. Haha whether these things will help will be interesting to see when it gets on to the track.

JiB The cage was painted by a freind of mine with a gravity feed spray gun (the spray guns with the pot on the top) I etch primed teh cage with a black etch from a spray can and i used a silver acrythane paint that came out really well. The wya he explained to me painting the cage and from what i saw was that each bar needs three sprays to cover over the bars Eg. at 120 degrees around the bar. he started at the rear working his way forward. He did teh bars rear parcel tray and rear seat then the roof and then once they had 2 coats the floor.

Thanks Brent

Cool, I'll be watching. Could you resize the pictures so we don't have to load the big boys every time we see theres been a new post and rush in? :)

Loving the dash. Got me keen to try do something like that... :) must of been a mish though!