Sign in to follow this  
RMC

Are MBs generally more confortable than BMWs?

I have tried BMW E36, E46 AND E39....

They all handle like a dream,however I prefer comfortable cars and have never had a chance to try a MB...

I have been looking at S-Class and E-Class 2001 or newer models lately....

Anyone here used to drive/Drives one of above? Any recommendations?

When I purchase a car I consider these factors.

1. Comfort.

2. Reliability.

3.Running Cost.(Including service and parts)

Cannot help you with the MB but must ask what comfort level are you looking for and what e46, e39 level have you driven?. As a E39 is a comfortable car IMO not only to sit in but space wise also a seven series may be able to top it but this would depend for both cars what seating options each has.

Cheers Allan

745i is where its at, dynamic as well as comfortable. why two topics on a the whale car?

Just go out and drive one buddy... I'll come ^_^

Gidday Mate,

I work for a MB dealer so have driven quite a few E and S classes over the past few years..

What I can say about the post 2003 E class (W211) is they are absolutely beautiful to drive. Very comfortable ride, it feels like you are floating. The equivalent 5 series is a bit more solid, grounded. And I think this is the key difference between the two series - the E class is dressed to impress and floats along as so, whereas the 5 series is an executive performer. The W211 is my fave MB of all time, (my workmate and I even nickname the E500's!) what engine are you looking to go for? Personal I'd reccommend an E350, E500. The E280's are ok but to be honest if you are going to spend decent money on a MB, why not go all out? The E class is as reliable as any other Euro. It's how you treat it as well.

The S class has always been reputed to be the classier of the S and 7. Personally I'm not much into that class of car. The S class has a lot packed into it, so I'll leave it up to your imagination regarding reliability...It is a buyers market at the moment for the S, they seem to be lurking around yards for a while..

Gidday Mate,

I work for a MB dealer so have driven quite a few E and S classes over the past few years..

What I can say about the post 2003 E class (W211) is they are absolutely beautiful to drive. Very comfortable ride, it feels like you are floating. The equivalent 5 series is a bit more solid, grounded. And I think this is the key difference between the two series - the E class is dressed to impress and floats along as so, whereas the 5 series is an executive performer. The W211 is my fave MB of all time, (my workmate and I even nickname the E500's!) what engine are you looking to go for? Personal I'd reccommend an E350, E500. The E280's are ok but to be honest if you are going to spend decent money on a MB, why not go all out? The E class is as reliable as any other Euro. It's how you treat it as well.

The S class has always been reputed to be the classier of the S and 7. Personally I'm not much into that class of car. The S class has a lot packed into it, so I'll leave it up to your imagination regarding reliability...It is a buyers market at the moment for the S, they seem to be lurking around yards for a while..

I have been looking at the E240 model...which the price is more reasonable.....E320 and E500 are awesome but the considering the price range......$50000+.....if i spend more than that I would go for a SUV.....

I would not consider a imported E200.....1.8 engine for such a big car would be ridiculous.....

Hey lucky you can try all the dream cars that every man wants.

Cannot help you with the MB but must ask what comfort level are you looking for and what e46, e39 level have you driven?. As a E39 is a comfortable car IMO not only to sit in but space wise also a seven series may be able to top it but this would depend for both cars what seating options each has.

Cheers Allan

Thanks Allan....

I have tried a 525i.....a 330i and 318ti.....

525i is good but I just wondering whether the E-CLASS can be better than that.....I personally think E-Class looks a lot better though..

745i is where its at, dynamic as well as comfortable. why two topics on a the whale car?

Just go out and drive one buddy... I'll come ^_^

I always search before I try and buy.....when I jump into a car for a test drive I can be easily fooled by the fancy talk from the dealer....

I believe people tell more truth on the forum....lol....

When I purchase a car I consider these factors.

1. Comfort.

2. Reliability.

3.Running Cost.(Including service and parts)

Sounds like you want a Lexus.

I buy a car for the way it drives not for what people think or how it looks, they are down the list, without a drive a car is worth nothing to me, people on forums like these are filled with fan boys that will have driven very few cars and actually believe the car or brand they are driving is the pinnacle of motoring and are completely closed minded to any other options.

From a performance and driver enjoyment point of view I can tell you that the E65 is the best drive in its respective category, we drove five or six of the E65 last year as well as the Lexus LS430 and Mercedes W220 S430 and the 745i came out trumps, lots of go for a big car and designer interior to match the quality feel. Maintenance, running costs and part failure costs could be catastrophic though.

As Crockett sais and Looking at what you want, a luxury cruiser with high quality and low maintenance costs you cannot go past the Lexus GS300, I am a massive fan of these cars, and they are well worth a drive.