Sign in to follow this  
Shady

E30 Headlights

Just wondering, are the headlights for the E30s with the small curve shaped hole at the bottom on the inside common or rare? What E30s do they come in? I noticed on FrantiC's photos on his spring & shocks FS thread that his headlights have the curved hole in them. I think they are called "smilies"...? Where do I get these from?

Or would it be best to just cut a hole in that plastic sheild part...as I have fully dismantled my headlights to do the "Hella Smoked headlight" mod.

I hope someone knows wtf I am on about :lol:

Im referring to these http://www.speedstersource.com/REDCOMETM3/..._BMW_E30_05.jpg if you notice that hole in the inside sheild part.

Edited by Shady

I broke mine in an altercation with a toyota corolla <_<

They are what I really want to put in my car atm

So the chances of me buying some are pretty low? What E30s do they usually come in?

I think I might just try make some on mine...just cuta hole, carefully..

OH AND before i go ahead cutting mine...what are they for? Is there a purpose for them or just for "looks"?

So the chances of me buying some are pretty low? What E30s do they usually come in?

I think I might just try make some on mine...just cuta hole, carefully..

OH AND before i go ahead cutting mine...what are they for? Is there a purpose for them or just for "looks"?

No, they project more light towards the road or something. I dont think cutting a hole would look that good..

also common on e34 models

post-279-1252216532.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Mine where factory in a late (91) facelift.Brent, are e34 ones exactly the same size?

Edited by Forrest

Mine where factory in a late (91) facelift.Brent, are e34 ones exactly the same size?

yes same size etc

Yeah, I dont know if I wanna bother cutting it...probably turn to sh*t. I'll just leave as it is & paint it all black, will post photos when I finish (Im not doing the crosshairs though).

For anyone not sure what I mean by "hella smoked mod" go here:- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread...ighlight=smoked

Unless I come across someone who has smilies, would be good to have 2 pairs of lights (smilies & smoked).

Guest FrantiC

Check out wrecker yards.. I picked mine $20 per side with the full brackets aswell, so they popped the high beam lights out and gave me entire headlight brackets with the smilies.

They were off a facelift 318i auto..

Oh true.

Yeah. Might as well just go to my locals this week (hoping I get some time) and take my shopping list haha & add the Smilies to that list.

Since the E34's fit, might just see if they got any of them also!?

My 89 e30 had em. My 83 now sports one of them. They aren't that rare and tbh I wouldn't go busting your balls trying to find some they aren't that big a deal! They pop up on ebay, might even be some there now, but your probs better off haunting pick a part.

note, if you somehow find a smiley on its own (like, not in the bracket with its buddy), you can not swap it with the low beam in your regular light bracket. The smiley is wider and will not go in the hole, and even if you enlarge the hole there will not be room for the mounting points. Found this out yesterday.

yes same size etc

Hey Brent can you confirm this 100% ? Cause I read somewhere yesterday that e34 ones have bigger lenses.

Guest FrantiC

If your doing the smoking lens mod... Make sure you don't leave the housings in your oven too long they melt real easy if you forget they are in there rofl.

Also dont pry the glass off the glass chips and cracks and you damage the housing as it gets all soft. Get a flat head and dig out the glue around the glass and it will slowly becoming to come off. Patience is key.

I did only my outers too, Didn't wanna do the crosshairs for the high beams. Looks alright,

post-3156-1252217386.jpg

190 degree oven, bake for three min + craft knife cutting the glue at 90 deg to the edge of the glass = win

Already done. Lights are completely in bits now. I left one in there a bit too long and the plastic casing "slightly" melted but I checked and it will all go back together all good. You wont see it from behind lol.

Just need to buy the paint & some silicon (or what would you recommend to glue it back together?) and then reassemble.

OH and I was thinking, with the Highbeam...if I painted the inside Black like the Lowbeam, would it make the H/B look like a L/B when on?

Selleys Polyurethane Adhesive + Sealant, brought it from mitre 10 mega, like 12 a tube.

Guest FrantiC

Nah nah nah, The high beams work by reflecting light off the shiny surface in the high beam housing. You cannot paint those black or else all you will have a dull bulb in a housing that does nothing. What the black crosshairs do is make it APPEAR as if the housings are black by reflecting black light against the reflective surface you see. So they are not actually black but appear it.

The low beams do not use that reflective plate in them, so that is why you CAN paint them and without effecting the light output as they are just projected out before that thing which is pretty much a shield to guide light out the hole, (thus smilies with the lower cut out allow more light to come out)

I used RTV Silicon to put my glass back on the housings. Make sure you hold them down, They need to be sealed nice and tight or else they fog up and look stupid.

Also paint your rings around the headlights too.

Oh aye. So if I painted the highbeams its just going to be a normal light, not high? Bummer. Oh well, if I do just for the hell of it, I can drive with all 4 lights on, and not have to dim them?! :lol:

And yeah, decided I am going to paint the rings...was going to rechrome them but not worth the $.

Be cheaper to just buy brand new rings, which I will...

Have a set of Black and a set of factory Chromed rings...

A set for whichever mood I am in hah! Am going to repaint the black plastic grills too, so it all looks fresh & shiney...but not the front Chrome, I like that. Having a nice black front may make me want to hurry up & repaint the car. May do a complete strip down & full body respray in Gloss Black with a Clear (of course). Including all sills etc.

Edited by Shady

Ray has some. Picked a set up from him for ~100 bucks.

Mike also has/had some.

May do a complete strip down & full body respray in Gloss Black with a Clear (of course). Including all sills etc.

That would make your car look 1000x better. Do it.

That would make your car look 1000x better. Do it.

Costs $ to do this. Need to sell my Honda first, clear some debts & raise some funds. But Im keen to do it...make it worth showing off. Will need a lot of prep work first, as have found a big rust hole under the rear bumper & bound to be more (also small bits in the boot). Gonna be a nice project.

Edited by Shady

FrantiC, what kind of paint did you use for the plastic shield & the metal rings? And did you primer them first or just straight paint?

Guest FrantiC

I just used cheap as black paint from Supercheap. Doesn't really matter, No I didn't primer them either.

Just clean the plastic shield things with alcahol first, then paint..

Give the rings a light sand so they paint sticks on.