Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

m20 Turbo 2.7L motor and setup

Guest FrantiC

I'm not 100% on this yet, But I have had enough of this project and I think I would rather have a solid daily driver rather than keep pouring money into this. Especially at the cost of it taking over my study which I keep neglecting due to this.

-1988 525e ETA bottem end. 10.2CR ETA pistons, ETA crank, ETA rods. Was at 66,000ks when I bought it, Have added atleast 3000km's in N/A, and about 50km as turbo.

-325i 885 head. Fully rebuilt, New valve guides, valve seats, valve stem seals, rockers grinded, acid dipped and cleaned.

-Cometic 0.120" MLS headgasket (With 885 head and 0.120" headgasket , compression ratio is around 8.7 - 8.8:1)

-325i intake manifold and throttle body. ICV and oil breather holes blocked off throttle body.

-Brand new Bosch Green top (Ford Racing) 450CC injectors.

-Stainless steel turbo manifold, External wastegate provision and screamer pipe.

-t3/t4 turbo, 0.63 exhaust and 0.50AR intake side (3" in, 2" out)

-38mm wastegate, Can be plumbed back or run with the screamer pipe.

-Full standalone MS1 V3 ECU. Adapter loomed to stock harness, Variable TPS, lc1 wideband o2 sensor, GM IAT sensor.

-6puk ceramic clutch and heavy duty pressure plate,

-2.25" dump pipe off turbo (heat wrapped), to full 2.5" back exhaust and 1 2.5" free flow resonator (14" long). Abit loud but not too bad.

-GM wasted spark coilpacks and 8 channel igniter box, running wasted spark setup.

-Turbo XS type BOV.

-600x280x10 front mount, 2.5" intercooler piping.

Runs a solid 12psi, Pushing atleast 300hp out the flywheel. No traction 1st or second gear under boost..

There is a slight oil leak coming from the rear main seal, or the rear of the oil pan. Just fixed one from the valve cover. I think I am at my wits end with this whole project..

How does $5200 sound?

Includes :

m20 stroker motor, with fresh rebuilt head barely 50km's on it.

exhaust manifold, turbo, wastegate, full exhaust to the back

intake side, intercooler, piping from the turbo, sensors etc'

Full loom and sensors, GM coilpacks and 8 channel igniters,

MS1 V3 ecu, all plug and play. has a very decent tune on there at the moment.

Edited by FrantiC

Guest Simon*

sh*t everyone's banging out of their turbo projects

I'd like to see and hear this before it goes John. We might have to do a quick Bay meet :)

Guest FrantiC

I'm so close to being finished with it. All I need is a gear boot, which I get tomorrow and fix the speedo and swap in a new rear axle and it gets the cert..

Forgot to mention the reason that pushed me to it is a no start issue now, I removed the spark plug wires to fix the valve cover leak and it was misfiring. Now it won't start at all. Things like this just drive me insane. Either I fork out more money tryna figure out what's wrong now (real tempted to just leave it at an auto electrical) or sell it off to someone who has the time for it..

Everythings the same, Nothings changed since last week when it was running except my suspension. trying to figure it out now though, it is sparking and there is fuel i think it may just be flooded to hell and back... It won't be anything serious holding it back, It's always something really obvious and I won't know till I waste time going through everything else...

Too much frustration.

Woaaah another seller!

Glad im stil driving round in my old clapped out standard m20b20 hah.

Never misses a beat.

good luck with the sale John

Edited by _BRS_

Whaa? Everyone is deciding to sell their mint projects!

Good luck with the sale, one awesome kit.

Damn, My favorite project on here...

Good luck with sale man!

Guest FrantiC

Yeah I have done most of the hardwork, assembling everything far and wide for this setup..

Still very very unsure if I want to ditch it, Unless anyone shows interest in it....

I think I am going to ditch the wasted spark as I think that is my issue. Fuel injectors are all spraying fine, Spark plugs are all sparking fine, they are brand new NGK bpr7es , 1 step colder than stock.

you need to arrange a beer and pizza sesion with some of the more tech people here...

don't sell...

I've been through the same things with the 205, fix one thing to find 200 more unknown things...

I've spent many a weekend wondering what the 205 will look like crushed as a bird bath...

I don't think you should sell it. I think you've done a great job to get where you've got to, you've almost inspired me to do something with the B25 engine I have in the garage!

Park it up for a while if you have to and come back to it when you have more money and enthusiasm for it again.

Have you checked your spark plugs? could easily be fouling if they're too cold and your not giving it heaps.

Also, dont sell. Just park it up and buy a shitter. Come back to it when your ready. (Just my experience)

I honestly don't know how anyone could do this.

If i'd spent all my time and money on some f**kin mint, special, one of a kind (in new zealand) beast the last thing I would do is sell it. Especially when its pretty much done. Of course you guys have your reasons. But IMO its CrAzY!1!

Finish it mate, drive it, enjoy what all your hard work has lead to, then if you must sell it, let it go. Sooo close! I think you'd regret it after its gone.

My 2c

i agree to be honest, keep it and finish it.

However would you be interested in taking a m20b25 complete conversion as part trade? my mate just bought a 325i of a dealer and wants to turbo it. motor is mint just had full service etc etc

woa dude don't sell it man your too close. do what mike suggested u wont regret it even tho the frustration seems immense about now

KEEP IT AND FINISH IT !!!

Dont let it become a massive regret once its sold. being so close after doing so much just to sell it for someone else to enjoy? Silly ...

Wow. The "modify it" bug bites... then a lil bit to go til finished and than the "sell it" bug bites? Damn. So many projects just getting sold? You never get what its worth when its not finished. Finish it, enjoy it, then if you still feel you need to sell it then you know you gonna get its worth cos its complete...

Same with BoostJunky...finish it then decide if you wanna sell it.

I bet, once they are mint, you will NOT wanna sell it cos you will enjoy it too much...

So sad :(

EDIT: It has to be said....GOOD THINGS TAKE TIME (and ALOT of $$$)

Edited by Shady

My bad I started the "lets all be realistic and sell our e30 projects disease" :(

Guest FrantiC

My bad I started the "lets all be realistic and sell our e30 projects disease" :(

I have thought about it heaps, I had the whole e30 offered out for a trade for a running car + cash, as an unfinished project back when I was frustrated with the ECU and all that.. It's more a "cut your loses" kind of thing.

I'm an 18 year old student, I have pretty much flushed this year down the drain spending way too much time on the car. I have nothing to show for all the hours I have worked, nothing saved, nothing gained from my year studying. Just makes me think. Is it worth it in the long run? Will this be something I can maintain or will it be something I will need to have heaps of $$$ towards everytime something needs fixing?

To be quite honest I fully regret this project, The $$$ could have been spent elsewhere, it would have been sweet blue with the m-tech2, how low it used to be, 2.7 stroker and LSD was perfectly fine.. Mint cruise and never gave me trouble. Now it's just way too high maintenance not to mention the amount of frustration spending hours everyday working on things and hitting dead ends constantly.

I've changed the headgasket 3 times.

gearbox has come off twice

Front control arms

pulled front struts and springs 3 times

valve covers come off atleast 5 + times

1 sump job with the block in the car

pulled the engine loom in and out about 4 times

radiator atleast 3 times (every headgasket job)

turbo manifold, which i add is a c**t to get in and out with the wastegate provision, and the down pipe can be a pain to install

Like seriously, thats only some of the pain in the ass sort of things, too repetitive and some of the jobs are pretty full on.

I did ALL the work myself, Never once has anyone helped me on anything to do with my car (other than outside jobs, like welding etc). But I assemble and do everything myself, self taught and very proud of what i have achieved. Just not sure if it is something I wanna keep persuing, but definitley will give it more thought.

To Sammy J, yes I would consider that as a part trade possibly. Make my life easier I would just do another 2.7 stroker and keep it N/A.

I need to give this some thought though :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I'm an 18 year old student, I have pretty much flushed this year down the drain spending way too much time on the car. I have nothing to show for all the hours I have worked, nothing saved, nothing gained from my year studying. Just makes me think. Is it worth it in the long run? Will this be something I can maintain or will it be something I will need to have heaps of $$$ towards everytime something needs fixing?

Story of my life right now, am in EXACTLY the same boat as you, except I am 20.

Hope you make the right decision, I blimin hope I am :wacko:

I think it's possible to have both. Except my car was off the road for 14 months, and even when it wasn't it stayed at home most of the time.

I've had my car for over 4 years, and it is far from perfect, and has costed a lot of money, which took a lot of 70 hour weeks at work in my holidays, but is better than a P addiction lol.

I'm taking a break from study to earn-save money for travel, so progress will still be slow.

I say keep it, its the best oppurtunity you'll have for a long time to do this. Maybe it's just time to slow it down a bit, as previously stated. But your sooooooo close :D

E: I'm 20 to.

Edited by antony

I have had this problem. Esspecially for the last term I've been slack as hell at uni, spending all my free time on my car and then doing my assignments in the last minute. This has been made easy because I live 5 minutes walk from class, so I had no temptation to sit in the library.. Decided to change this term, spending most of my day in the library doing assignments, I have 5 at the moment and they are all due in the next 6 weeks or so. I plan to spend just short evenings and weekends on my car.. I think it's a good balance, hopefully it works.

Just live in a flat with no garage, and only a cock ass angle street to work on.

You'll never be able to work on your precious car :(

I have thought about it heaps, I had the whole e30 offered out for a trade for a running car + cash, as an unfinished project back when I was frustrated with the ECU and all that.. It's more a "cut your loses" kind of thing.

To be quite honest I fully regret this project, The $$$ could have been spent elsewhere, it would have been sweet blue with the m-tech2, how low it used to be, 2.7 stroker and LSD was perfectly fine.. Mint cruise and never gave me trouble. Now it's just way too high maintenance not to mention the amount of frustration spending hours everyday working on things and hitting dead ends constantly.

I've changed the headgasket 3 times.

gearbox has come off twice

Front control arms

pulled front struts and springs 3 times

valve covers come off atleast 5 + times

1 sump job with the block in the car

pulled the engine loom in and out about 4 times

radiator atleast 3 times (every headgasket job)

turbo manifold, which i add is a c**t to get in and out with the wastegate provision, and the down pipe can be a pain to install

Like seriously, thats only some of the pain in the ass sort of things, too repetitive and some of the jobs are pretty full on.

I did ALL the work myself, Never once has anyone helped me on anything to do with my car (other than outside jobs, like welding etc). But I assemble and do everything myself, self taught and very proud of what i have achieved. Just not sure if it is something I wanna keep persuing, but definitley will give it more thought.

To Sammy J, yes I would consider that as a part trade possibly. Make my life easier I would just do another 2.7 stroker and keep it N/A.

I need to give this some thought though :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Shelve it..forget about it, get on the piss, don't even look at it and come back to it after a few weeks. Then decide.

Shelve it..forget about it, get on the piss, don't even look at it and come back to it after a few weeks. Then decide.

I've had to do that with the 205... stopped working on it for 3 weeks in feb after i missed the raceday i was aiming for after finding 2.5 grand of work that needed to be done.

When i was in my 18- 23 age bracket all i did was party... 6 nights a week... no money saved and nothing to show for it, not even a nice car, I'm now 28 and just starting to get some savings after paying off debts and such...

You say you "have nothing to show for all the hours I have worked, nothing saved, nothing gained from my year studying. " But you have, you have gained a vast knowledge of engineering, mechanics, and everything else you have learnt along the way... No doubt if you where to do this again you could do it in 1/3'd the time and far less $$$ from the problems you know you have faced.

You and Boost will sit there looking at the car in 4 months time running in the sun at a bimmersport meet with everyone drooling over it... You can decide if you want to be looking at it kicking yourself for selling it, or getting a big head thinking "Ya Bitches that shits mine... no you can't drive it"