Sign in to follow this  
antil33t

Rear Sway Bar Opinions?

Hey there,

The other day, I thaught I'd ask the local wrecker for a rear sway bar, as I'd heard from a couple of people that'd it'd help my cars love to roll in the corners.

The car would roll enough to make the mudflaps scrape.

He talked me out of buying one, as if you corner fast enough the sway bar can cause one of the wheels to "lift" - whilst this sounding correct, I'd still like some more opinions,

His suggestion too me was buy stiffer shocks/springs. - More expensive than a RSB.

What do you guys think?

On good road tires and stock E30 sway bars you won't be lifting any inside wheels. I've tried haha.

Springs are the way to balance handling for sure. Big thick sways can take feel away from the car, and make it have less traction on a bumpy road, big bars are great for the track however.

I guess your car doesn't have a rear sway? If you put one in you would add a nice dose of oversteer to the handling. Fun :)

I reckon shocks/springs would be the first thing to get as its the primary component in suspension, If you already have a decent shock/spring package then upgrading bushes and sway bars would be your next best bet..

Just fit one, you'll be wanting new bushes for it also, I had some made from Nolithane, didnt cost too much and was well worth it.

An anti roll bar or sway bar will aid turn in, reduce under steer making the cat a lot more neutral.

Apex How much did the bushes cost you ? have you got a number or company name ?

Its in my showroom thread, im on a MacBook and have no idea how to cut and paste... sorry.

Its in my showroom thread, im on a MacBook and have no idea how to cut and paste... sorry.

Tap the touchpad with both fingers.

Or Command C then and Command V

Edited by antil33t

Rear sway bar did wonders for my E30 320i

But it ALREADY had stiffer shocks & springs fitted

Well right now, I've got factory springs, shocks and rims.

The entire car is factory :)

The first thing I'm wanting to upgrade is suspention, make it fun in the twisties. It's my first RWD car, So not so keen on going overboard on power.

RSB sounds like it would make it a bit more fun.

Question: Do all 320s not come with a rear sway bar? I thought it was just 316 and 318's Noobness

I better check mine then. Lol what is standard RSB sizing 12mm?

I thought only 325's and m3's got the rear bar? Could be wrong though.

Realoem (not 100% trust worthy) says that a rear stabiliser bar came on vehicles with "sport suspension" and "M Technic " cars.

However using the part number it appears that if you got any e30 with sports/bilstein suspension(was this an option on all e30's?) you got a rear stabiliser bar. Some were 14.5mm and others 12mm by the looks of things.

The M3, M325i's and I think the 'verts came with the 14.5mm bar. The rest are 12mm.

Here's a good chart to look at if you are intending on upgrading. A lot of other factors come into play though then just thickness. Such as the movement ratio, material of bar, design etc.

http://www.selbys.com.au/docs/products/ConversionChart.pdf

Edited by Incary

the race car i own was originally built for the e30 cup series so the rear sway bar had been disconnected I didnt even realize until i my second track run in the car.

Noticed a massive difference once i reconnected it. Especially under braking, Far less lift in the rear end.

Just had a crawl under my 320 and yes no sway bar, but i do have one on the way now. Would it be advisable to change the bushes ?

Just had a crawl under my 320 and yes no sway bar, but i do have one on the way now. Would it be advisable to change the bushes ?

If you don't mind me asking, what did that cost you?

I have a spare 12mm one if anyone wants one. The 325i convertible one on my car is awesome :D

Just need some links for bar -> trailing arm mounts as I broke one.

Maybe some new OEM ones, the bar is pointless without good bushes and links..

If you don't mind me asking, what did that cost you?

Got it off a forum member here for $35.

I have a spare 12mm one if anyone wants one. The 325i convertible one on my car is awesome :D

Just need some links for bar -> trailing arm mounts as I broke one.

I should have got you to send it down with the front, lol would have been good to put one in the 316's rear.

Maybe some new OEM ones, the bar is pointless without good bushes and links..

I guess it would be better to get them changed all at once while its out of the car. I found the quotes of prices for your Nolithane bushes but where did you get them from ? Ive also heard powerflex is really good but hey are a tad bit expensive.

There shouldnt be much difference in quality between brands right?

yep! I got good stock springs & shocks and chucked one in, 12mm i think.... pretty light, still it made difference to cornering, surprised them leave them off cars! )