Sign in to follow this  
User Name

e28 Body Roll + Lowering

Hi Guys

Just wanitng to get peoples Opinion on how to decrease the Body Roll and Maybe lower the E28.

Honestly i dont have much money and ill prob n the long run buy a new shell and upgrade Suspension to Coil overs and Get new Sway bars

but as a cheaper option i need a Drop of about 30mm to look good on my current 17's and something to decrease the roll maybe new brushes but dont know.

Also i know my Tyres are rubbing on the Bottom Suspension mounts - being advised to just grind a few mill off and paint it bit weary to do that.

best thing i did to my e28 was stiffen up the bilstein shocks and fit bigger antiroll bars .

don't go cutting into your suspension. get spacers for the back wheels it they rub. Or sell your front wheel drive offset 17s and get some 17s off a later model BMW that will fit (Thats what I did and they only cost me $500). As for lowering and stiffing the car, what sort of budget do you have? Anti-roll bars will cost you around $350 for front and the same again for the back and bushes aren't cheep either. There are a few good spring options out there (check out the H&R guys on this site) but again springs and shocks aren't to cheep either. If you want to go super budget just cut a coil off your springs, just don't whack off to much and don't tell anyone I suggested it...

a picture of what i had done in the rear of my e28

post-279-1253784467.jpg

Hi Guys

thanks for Thourghts on what to do, if i was going to get them cut i would get it done porfesional as im not going to take any risk on a car that my son goes in :)

dont have a big budget at all - its all getting saved up to pay off debt and do turbo conversion and fix my 4g63t engine for the misus lolz,

its really only rubbing on the front im runnig 245/60 or 65/R17 so i figure simple option seen i need to get new tyres before a wof lolz is to get something like 230 or 235s so i have some more clearance which i reakon should be ample

i could just go back to my stock 15" low profiles that came with the car or my 15" standards off my old e28 they just all passed last wof haha but its a few burnouts later.

I like Brents Idea of New Roll Bars front and rear with new Brushes an the options from H&R are very limited for the E28's same everywhere but think im going custom K Sport Coil overs for $2300nz shipped to nz when i get the cash..... maybe next year haha have seen what local shops offer and its the same price for standard suspension setups that ive being quoted unless people in welly rippn us off

Where did you get those nice sway bar end links from Brent?

And Re: Lowering a E28. Get some lowering springs and some new sport shocks, and bushings like Brent has done. Will make a night and day difference over the 20 year old stuff that is in there.

Where did you get those nice sway bar end links from Brent?

And Re: Lowering a E28. Get some lowering springs and some new sport shocks, and bushings like Brent has done. Will make a night and day difference over the 20 year old stuff that is in there.

the links came with the sway bars .

white line brand i think from oz

Well I'm confused, I have Whiteline bars ready for me to pick up (once I pay for them) at Repco, and I'm sure they don't come with the end links. Maybe they are hidden well in the packaging. Must have a closer look.

I have used vogtland springs and bilsteins all round and is has transformed the car. 245/60/17s are way to big, no wonder your fouling the fronts. I have 225/45/17s on the front and 235/45/17s on the back and theres plenty of grip. If you can afford 2.5g for suspension the H&R boys should be able to help, if not try Chris at Suspension tech, he sorted my suspension for me.

I have finally replaced the rear bushes in my E28 and upgraded to the later model subframe with the dog bone links. Now my car is very very stiff in the rear. It doesn't feel like anything is binding, it actually feels like the shocks have bottomed out and are no longer working. Nothing has changed in the suspension geometry and the ride height is the same. The car has become very bouncy in the back and now, instead of squatting in the corners like a BMW should, it bounces in the back mid corner and feels very unsettled. I figured the shocks must have been valved to stiff and I didn't notice before due to the bushes being so flogged out but my suspension guy recons the dog bone links are fighting the lower arms and I should try removing them... Its becoming F&$%ing frustrating as I just spent all this time and money UPGRADING to the latter model rear end to get those extra links to eliminate the toe in I was getting under acceleration. Has anyone had any similar issues? At this point I'm thinking of letting every thing settle for a bit and if it doesn't bed in properly then I'll be taking it to someone else from now on.