Sign in to follow this  
offset

318ti compact problems .. ..

hey all,

got a friend of mine whos starting to get some small problems with her bimmer 318ti compact. its the e36 shape like 95 ish maybe?

seems the drivers side electric window doesn't work, hasn't worked for ages, but she hasn't had the money to get it fixed, and seems every now and then more things seem to pop up, so I've decided to do some research and try pull a few strings to help get some of this stuff out of the way. Im no geek on bimmers either, so I don't know a hell of a lot about htem or trying to resolve problems.

seems the intake pipe has split/cracks in them causing the car not to run too well, and gas economy down the drain, but she showed me and so I've diagnosed this to the fact that the pipe needs replacing. if anyone knows where i can get one on the cheap (feel free to flick me a pm).

so yeah, the drivers window doesn't work, i know its a common problem with bimmers whatever the model, so what would be involved in fixing this and what kind of pricing we looking at parts + labour?

also, the drivers door stopped opening from the outside a few months ago. the door opens when opened from the inside handle but not the outside? what would be the problem with this and would it be hard to fix? any new parts needed or need replacing or has something just unattached itself or something? (is it a common problem?)

thats all i can remember for the moment.

please give me any advice possible.

Where abouts are you and her from Ben ?? If your in Auckland I could have a look and offer the right advise. The split hose is easy...replace it. The window and door problem would need to be looked at properly

Easy fixes. Have all parts at the lowest prices.

Regards Ray

Ben, replace the intake pipe with one of Firas's old tint rolls :D

Otherwise Ray or Mike will have all the bits you need. Is there power going to the window at all?

both located in west auckland, shes absolutely clueless when it comes to cars, its just not her thing, but i see her complain and stress about it along with all her other stresses from day to day, so i thought i'd give it ago seeing as I found this very good resource of information and helpful people who know their sh*t about bimmers...

yeah i figured i could sort the intake pipe problem out pretty easy, just gotta get the right part and it looks to me like to clamps and removal? if not much more.

other problems have me a little less confident. would be good if i can get someone whos in the know to check it out.

Glenn - sorry im still a noob on the forums, and have since given up on the idea of purchasing a bimmer for my personal use (since i first joined the forums), so excuse the n00b question, do you have a workshop? I could definitely do with the advice or atleast someone to confirm what hte problems are and how to go about it. just gotta think about financial situation too though.

times a bit of a worry, but im sure i could organise to pinch her bimmer for a day when im not working and she doesn't need it (shouldnt be too hard to organise that part).

HELLBM - will send you a text now.

Glenn- Botany Motor Works-forum sponsor,BMW guru & all round great guy-He'll help you out.

With regards to the window problem: First check it's not a faulty switch by swapping it with the passenger window switch. They pop out easily with a flathead screwdriver.

will try the switch checking when i get around to fixing the intake pipe.

after that i think it'll have to be a visit to glenn!

glenn you got a pm bud.

will try the switch checking when i get around to fixing the intake pipe.

after that i think it'll have to be a visit to glenn!

glenn you got a pm bud.

Yes I got it. However I definately don't work on Sundays and we don't open on Saturday. If you want it looked at I suggest you make arrangements to drop it off so we can have a look at it. Our hours are 7.00-4.30 Monday to Thursday and we close at 4.00 on Fridays. You can call me at work on 2722546