Sign in to follow this  
e30plz

E30 Help Needed..

Anyone got any tips on putting a headunit in an E30 with no wires, Everything has been ripped out inside it.

Have a loom just nothing to connect to.. Sick of having no music :(

Chances are the wires are still there somewhere....

Pull out the Dash?

I'll try find that colour chart I made up when I installed mine... Might be Helpfull?

Edited by antil33t

Hmm, Mechanic removed the dash previously due to a small fire, Lulz.

I'll ask him if he saw any but i'm pretty sure there's none..

Just wondering what I could do..

There's no existing loom in the car, I just made a loom out of old ones but there's nothing to connect it to :wacko:

I might have what you need James.... I have the majority of a loom sitting in my garage, which includes stereo loom, I will have a look for you tmoro, the maroon missile lives on :P

Nah no factory headunit, but I think I still have what the stereo wires connected to, to the rest of the loom.

tapedeck FTL.

Tapedeck + Fleetwood Mac greatest hits tape FTW

Or you could run your own wiring James. I always run new wiring for the stereo in my cars.

Buy a couple of reels of red, black, yellow, blue, and speaker wire and an inline fuse holder and fuse suitable for the red wire.

Run a red wire from the battery or the positive terminal on the car's distro block to the fuse then through the firewall to the stereo. This is your constant power.

Run yellow from the ignition connector plug (I can tell you which plug and wire once I get out my Bentley) to the stereo. This is your switched power.

Run a black wire from the stereo to an earth point behind the glovebox trim. (There are around 3 decent earth points there in an e30).

Run a blue wire from the stereo to the boot - this is your electric aerial and amp switching wire (run two if your stereo can control the amp and aerial separately).

Run speaker wire where you need to.

Done, and all new wire (not 20-year old stuff), and should only take you an hour or so, and you'll know exactly how to fix it all if you ever have a problem.

Solder all your joints and protect with heat shrink for a tidy, professional job. Use either bullet connectors, strip connectors, or buy and butcher a stereo connector adapter to plug the stereo in with.

Cheers bravo. I might go do that myself sometime this weekend/week. Give me something to do.

Does your e30 have the fader control above where the stereo was. If so you can get your speaker wires from that and save your having to run new wires.

Bravo, not to be a prick. But the colour for constant is yellow, and the colour for ACC is red. Just so no one gets confused later on down the track when it all gets pulled apart again