Sign in to follow this  
lidistick

Mechanical warranty and their exclusions.

I just received my Autosure Essential cover mechanical warranty.

OMG the exclusions are huge.

Exclusions:

4) Batteries, exhaust systems, shocks, air bags or componentry, sunroofs, catalytic converters, tyres, seat belts, audio and entertainment systems, GPS, seats, lights, comms system,fuel tanks, air bag suspension, keys and remotes.

For me those 2 exclusions in bold(my emphasis) are enough to ask for a refund and find another supplier.

I understand Protecta do some sort of comprehensive mechanical and electrical insurance, is this correct?

I paid $1200 for the 3 yr autosure warranty with $350 excess and a limit of $5000 per claim.

Cheers.

Edited by lidistick

Marcus, These insurance covers are bloody good at excluding plenty of possibles to go go wrong with a car.

Fair call on consumable parts but there are also a host of non consumables that they won't cover & they are also good at covering things that DON'T fail.

Makes me laugh when I have seen in "covered" Clutch, but excludes wear.

In reality - normally, what the hell else goes wrong with a clutch but for wearing out?

Don't know specifically but from experience - all are pretty similar.

I would have thought the ones you were worried about were minor? They all try and wriggle out, but my Toyota/Lexus one is gold.

Protecta warranties have similar exclusions. At the end of the day it is a "mechanical" warranty, and as such it is mainly engine and drivetrain problems that are covered.

You have purchased one of the best mechanical warranties available. These warranties do not cover maintenence, corrosion, pre-existing faults or wear and tear. They cover the unforseen failure of a mechanical component only. From a repairers point of view I find them very easy to deal with and fair.... and sometimes I feel they pay out for more than they should. If you want total guarantees... buy new and not second hand.

I would've thought that suspension and sunroofs were mechanical.

I'm ok with things wearing out and me replacing them as I'm fanatically anal about maintenance.

After going through all the exclusions, it seems like the only thing it covers is Engine, gearbox and cooling. So if I kept the car fully maintained, I really shouldn't need the cover. Heck, even the plastic impeller is not covered as its a plastic bit!

I don't want a total guarantee and I know i've bought a 2nd hand car but if you read the exclusions thoroughly, they limit the amount of cover to the point of being pointless.

I'll have to mull over this one but thanks for your views.

Cheers.

Some stuff like the engine electronics are covered I think. I frequently heard things like the ICV, Cam sensor, crank sensor, ignition coil, etc... They would have been covered. These are not exactly maintenance item but can fail.

Some stuff like the engine electronics are covered I think. I frequently heard things like the ICV, Cam sensor, crank sensor, ignition coil, etc... They would have been covered. These are not exactly maintenance item but can fail.

Yeah, and a cam sensor is about $450 to fix. Just had this done.

But if you think about it, unless your a complete muppet and you drive your car till the death if you find a fault soon enough the part to replace shouldn't be a hell of a lot more than your excess. As you said you're pretty pendantic about maintenance.

I dont see the point in the excess cover TBO.

Edited by Mavrick