Sign in to follow this  
no_fat_chicks

would u drive a convertible?

no no, um no.

get a honda s2000 if you want one.

But be prepared to ditch it after 6 months. Trying to keep it up around 8k revs to have some fun can become pretty tiring, not to mention the bashing your ears will get !

Anyway why wouldnt anyone drive a convertible ?

Ive seen the odd comment about being 'gay' or not wanting to look like youve got some money, but really, who gives a rats ar$e what someone thinks about you. If youve got money fcuking spend it I say.

If you like it go for it.

Cheers

Martyn

Clearly this really is a matter of opinion, and I'm fascinated by the number of folk who are prepared to express an opinion on a type of car of which they admit they have little or no experience - makes the results pretty shallow if you think about it.

I have an '88 320i convertible with 177k on the clock and it's a darned nice car, whch DOESN'T leak - no reason that they should if properly maintained - and the fresh air opportunities are just too good to be missed.

I love it, my wife loves it and no-one elses' opinion matters a damn.

We may be eccentric old farts (or so we've been told more than once) as we have two other open cars that are not convertible - that is there is no roof at all.

If you have ever ridden a bike (Beemer or otherwise) you'd realise that a drop of rain doesn't actually do you any harm.

Buy a tin-top by all means if you have to commute in the thing - but if you really want to enjoy the driving experience get out in the fresh air!

Interesting thread.

Lots of people out there that have never owned, or driven an open car of any type.

I have owned a soft top for years and would never part with it, Not BMW, but what it is does not really matter. If you like the fresh air and wind then it rates.

Napier e36 makes the comment about rollin the cabbie, Thats true. But how about all the motor bikes out there? I own a full race prepared BMW, with roll protection cage. That car was rolled over a bank at speed, and totaled with major damage to all corners. If that had been a standard e30 we may not have walked away.

Those out there that havent tried one out should. Great fun. I have had some experience with e30's and some with an e30 cabbie. The standard saloon's have had more rust in them than the 4 cabbies that i have worked on. They were more expensive than tin tops, so seem to have been better looked after.

Just my 2 Cents.

But try before you rubbish them too much :);)

cabbies are awesome...even mercedes ones :D

so pimp

OK, I finally found a good reason to get a Baur convertible.

We took the old mans one to Long beach near Russell the other day, and apart from the pick-up factor (and believe me it was there), when sitting on the folded down soft-top (with your feet on the back seat), the roll bar provides a perfectly placed ledge to rest your beer.

Now, if only they came with a built-in sober driver....

:Looks for younger sister and something to bribe her with:

:beer: :drunk: = :mosh:

Those out there that havent tried one out should. Great fun. I have had some experience with e30's and some with an e30 cabbie. The standard saloon's have had more rust in them than the 4 cabbies that i have worked on. They were more expensive than tin tops, so seem to have been better looked after.

Just my 2 Cents.   

But try before you rubbish them too much :)  ;)

Much as I hate to encourage him, I have to say that occasionally Hartage gets it right - this is one of those times. As a generality they are better cared for, because of the type of people that own 'em and because they just have to be properly looked after.

Convertibles are simply 'different' (in a positive way) and I'm more than happy to take anyone who fancies the experience for a trip around the block in mine; pick a good day - for obvious reasons - and call me. B)