Sign in to follow this  
no_fat_chicks

would u drive a convertible?

That ride looks pretty good... but sure as sh!t isn't in NZ based on the license plate. Aged soft top expect problems with leakage.

In my most humble opinion convertibles are SO not worth it in NZ, we just don't get enough nice weather days to justify it. Unless its a 2nd/3rd car (ie- have something different for your everyday ride).

the car is going for 6and half grand, so does fall into my budget, with 117miles on the clock and the car in the pic is not the one for sale (I wish and that too for 6500, lol)

Edited by no_fat_chicks

6500 in my opinion is probably too cheap for a convertible E30 325 - everywhere else that i have seen them they go for a lot more - even those early 90s toyota celicas go for more than 10g, so for 6500 there are probably a few things that need a lot of work - like a soft top that needs replacing or the mechanisims that make it all work could be a bit tierd etc... and rust - a few people here have been stung by buying a car to find rust, i personally dont own an e30 and never have so ill leave the rust and where it hides to someone who knows what they are talking about. I would take that car for a VERY thorough pre-purchase inspection and then go over it personally with a fine tooth comb lifting carpets and the like... because if you buy cheap, it usually ends up costing a lot.

Just my 2 cents, and as for guys in convertibles, i dont have an opinion, all I can say is that when i finally roll my e36 ill be glad that its hard top! and as shadow ninja said, we dont get enough nice weather to justifiy a convertable!

Guest Andrew

No one has picked up you said Baur - which was a company that made them convertable for BMW.

They are just plain ugly - say no.

The car for sale will look nothing like the one in the pic - at all, even remotely.

AHHH I know the one you mean, yes they are hideous - they look like they have standard e30 doors (with the window frames etc) and almost a roof... i would not hit that!

i dont think id mind driving a bmw convertible

but i would if it wer a baur they are just so yuk

i was offerd a 79 i think baur .. i said no

by the way

u do know a baur isnt a normal convertible as it was a conversion done to a normal E30 coupe... correct meif im wrong

post-2-1103963667.jpg

Edited by bimmer boy

If theres a hardtop version, no thanks. I could drive an S2000 or MX5 though.

When my old man bought his Holden, the salesman took him for a drive in one of those new SAAB convertibles. I know what I would be thinking if I saw them driving thru town in it with the roof down :gay:

i wouldnt have a vert any way

wouldnt b too impress wen it starts leaking which it proberbly would!

and plus even on a new car they fail my mums friends one in her CLK stoped workings and was leaking hardcore and its only 2 years old

Yeah, my old man has a pre-facelift baur. 323 with manual and an LSD. Agree re: ugly, but his is white and with momo 5-spokes, and with him as a going-grey 50 something, it looks quite cool (mid life crisis thing).

He wanted to swap me for my 320i 4-door facelift when I bought it, and I just about fell off my chair laughing - he looked at me and said "what? mines worth more than yours, manual bigger engine etc, and its sooo cool!" - Yeah Dad, right! Have another Tui.

I'll just wait till it rusts apart, and then scavenge the gbox and engine off it.

I'll post some pics, but dude - don't buy a baur.

IMHO spend the dough buying a better sedan or coupe.

haha...get the LSD....worth more than everything else put together!

I would however own one of these...

damn straight.

The Baur - top up.

Note that on a baur, the rear windows don't wind down, and the central pillar remains, and a roll bar joins the two central pillars. Esswntially, the rear roof and windscreen is replaced with a fold down canvas and perspex jobbie, which on this car folds almost away entirely unlike the gold car above. The main roof is a canvas over the original roof making a removable panel which is stored in purpose-built racks in the boot for top-down motoring. There are some cool featrues - you can partially raise the front of the main roof without removing it like a massive sunroof, or just remove it and not put the rear down like a targa top. The car doesn't feel like a real convetible, but is still quite fun to take down the beach. I still prefer a hadtop though, or maybe a Z4.

post-2-1104141819.jpg

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

I agree with sparkle on E30 cabs, good condition ones with Mtech2 look awesome and not at all like an almost 20 year old car. I'm also pretty sure most have got tan leather

I agree. e46 m3 con. = one of the coolest cars around.

e30 con. = I like, if its the right one.

Baur = pretty rude.

I have never owned a con. Apart from the leaking what disadvantages are there? I know my sunroof is a dream. A convertible must be better?

Nothing wrong with an old convertible, if it's not your only car. Or you live in Brisbane.

We had one and it was loads of fun, it was a VW Beetle conv (original one).

I'm looking for another convertible option in the future, they just aren't serious drivers cars. Unless you pay megabucks for a great one.

Guest Andrew

Nothing wrong with an old convertible, if it's not your only car. Or you live in Brisbane.

We had one and it was loads of fun, it was a VW Beetle conv (original one).

I'm looking for another convertible option in the future, they just aren't serious drivers cars. Unless you pay megabucks for a great one.

Yeah i'd handle a topless Zonda

no no, um no.

get a honda s2000 if you want one.