Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Noisy cams

Ive had a couple of people mention the cams are noisy on the 318is, so does anyone know what Im likely to be in for to have this sorted?

Anyone have any links on whats involved in sorting this or a rough idea what it might cost? Im just keen to learn a little more about it before I take it in thats all.

My cam was just over $200 to have reground when I did mine. I guess since you have two it will be twice that?

I'll dig out the itemised bill from when I had all my head work done on the M20, may help to give you a rough idea.

As always, prepare for the worst when the head comes off. I was initially quoted 2k, ended up being 3.5k.

You sure its the cams that are noisey Martyn ? or is it the hydraulic lifters ? Has somebody with the right experience actualy checked it for you ?

Thanks Glenn, Im aware this is pretty much a stupid question as its all a matter of interpretation on the noises being made. The first person who mentioned it is someone who is after my money and has said the same about all three e30's Ive taken in there. I know its common but I surely cant have had three noisy engines ! Im just after a bit more information about what to listen for really as this is something I know nothing about. So Im greatfull for any pointers.

You also have to remember Ive been driving v12 and v8's for the last ten years or so and so the 'is' already sounds like a sewing machine to me.

Basically when it starts up from cold it sounds like a tractor. There is a knocking/clatter/tapping sound thats not fast but a perhaps a couple of taps a second. It doesnt appear to change much but it does appear to quieten down when the engine is warm. Its due for a service, so Im planning on doing that sooner rather than later.

Ive read a bit about the m42 and the noises it can make and have also read they do make noise especially when cold. The chain tensioner seems to be a simple fix to try first, but Im not really into trial and error if I can help it.

Its also a little shaky on idle to start with but is fine when warm.

The other thing Ive noticed recently is when in the car there is a sound a little like marbles being swirled around a metal bowl. Sort of a constant swooshing sound, almost like the sound you get when a stone is lodged in the brakes, so Ill get the wheels off this weekend and have a look around there too.

I hate it when you hear sounds your not used to. Its fine when youe in a car you know, but when you dont know it all sorts of things come into your head !

The trouble is with noises, they can be perceived differently by people. What one hears another doesnt. It could be a number of things. Have you tried a stethescope on the engine ? Timing chain tensioner just one of them. Could also be hydraulic lifters, idler or water pump bearing.

Yeah, thats what Ive figured Glenn after reading what I can find on the web.

Too many variables so probably worth just taking in to see what can be done.

Thanks mate.

M44 timing chain tensioner is a good upgrade. Everything else I have in good used cond.

Regards Ray