Sign in to follow this  
nolimitsoldier4

m30 manual gearbox

i need a M30 big six manual box+front half of drive shaft+non dual mass flywheel, and a E28 radiator if you have any of these please contact me on 09-266-6948 or email me on nolimitsoldier4@hotmail.com

cheers :D

i need a M30 big six manual box+front half of drive shaft+non dual mass flywheel, and a E28 radiator if you have any of these please contact me on 09-266-6948 or email me on nolimitsoldier4@hotmail.com

cheers :D

im putting the motor in to my e30

Guest FrantiC

What engine mounts are you using ?

You should still be able to use the e30 manual driveshaft, it fits up fine and is the correct length. But that is if you are using the e30.de m30 mounts, with the motor mounted in position 3.

If you are using custom mounts, you may want to check how the e30 driveshaft fits.

What engine mounts are you using ?

You should still be able to use the e30 manual driveshaft, it fits up fine and is the correct length. But that is if you are using the e30.de m30 mounts, with the motor mounted in position 3.

If you are using custom mounts, you may want to check how the e30 driveshaft fits.

ill be making custom mounts but im going to make them so the drive shaft fits thanks for the info it helps heaps

Guest FrantiC

FYI, The e30.de engine mounts 'position 3' requires you hammering up the firewall so that the motor and bellhousing fit in there. But it does give you room to fit the e28 radiator. Even with bashing the firewall and having the engine sit further back, it is still a tight fit for the radiator.

So make sure you have it sussed before you mock up mounts.

I would maybe buy the ones from e30.de IMO, Lets you use the same linkage, e30 driveshaft and fits the e28 radiator. But will require firewall smashing.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by FrantiC

FYI, The e30.de engine mounts 'position 3' requires you hammering up the firewall so that the motor and bellhousing fit in there. But it does give you room to fit the e28 radiator. Even with bashing the firewall and having the engine sit further back, it is still a tight fit for the radiator.

So make sure you have it sussed before you mock up mounts.

I would maybe buy the ones from e30.de IMO, Lets you use the same linkage, e30 driveshaft and fits the e28 radiator. But will require firewall smashing.

(edited for spelling)

how far do i need to go back on the firewall??roughly???

Guest FrantiC

how far do i need to go back on the firewall??roughly???

No idea mate, are you following any DIY's?

I looked into this a while ago.. I'm sure there is a way you can fit it without smacking up the firewall. Drop the engine in and see I guess.

If you can't get the e30 driveshaft to fit, You can use the Front half of an m30 manual driveshaft and fit it to the e30 rear half and that will mate up properly, as the m30 driveshaft is slightly longer. Just note you will have to put a e30 center hanger bearing on the front half m30 driveshaft piece.

Just drop it in and see how you go from there, with fitting the radiator. If you need the engine to sit back more, then the firewall will need some smashing up. I am sure you could do it without that though. You won't be able to fit a fan on though, probably need an electric fan on the front side of the radiator. But solid mounts are a must.

No idea mate, are you following any DIY's?

I looked into this a while ago.. I'm sure there is a way you can fit it without smacking up the firewall. Drop the engine in and see I guess.

If you can't get the e30 driveshaft to fit, You can use the Front half of an m30 manual driveshaft and fit it to the e30 rear half and that will mate up properly, as the m30 driveshaft is slightly longer. Just note you will have to put a e30 center hanger bearing on the front half m30 driveshaft piece.

Just drop it in and see how you go from there, with fitting the radiator. If you need the engine to sit back more, then the firewall will need some smashing up. I am sure you could do it without that though. You won't be able to fit a fan on though, probably need an electric fan on the front side of the radiator. But solid mounts are a must.

so i use no rubbers when i solid mount it aye???, would you know anyone selling a e28 rad and a front half of a drive shaft???

Guest FrantiC

Nah , I pressume someone on here would have one though.. Driveshaft will be harder to find though.

By solid mounts I mean using Urethane or nolathane mounts, instead of rubber ones. They're still the same just much stronger.

Nah , I pressume someone on here would have one though.. Driveshaft will be harder to find though.

By solid mounts I mean using Urethane or nolathane mounts, instead of rubber ones. They're still the same just much stronger.

do you think an e30 auto drive shaft might work as in length wise????

thanks for the info

Guest FrantiC

do you think an e30 auto drive shaft might work as in length wise????

thanks for the info

Nope no way, the auto driveshaft is way shorter than the manual one.

Nope no way, the auto driveshaft is way shorter than the manual one.

ohk, i just checked to day i layed the m30 auto shaft i got next to my m20 one and they are the same length, my m20 shaft can still be moved quiet a bit on the spline shaft still, would the m20 rubber mount bolt holes be the same as the m30s one???? i cant check it on the auto as the auto shaft has a four bolt patten like on the e30s diff side of the drive shaft, holding it to the auto box(M30) Edited by e30325i

ok just read what you are up to.

I've done these conversions and can provide engine mounts (with the nolathene mounts too) that will prevent you from smashing the firewall.

I have used 262 getrags and the selector lines up pretty much with the existing E30 shifter hole in the body and the mounting of the transmission is very easy.

I beleive this is called position 1

I see discusion about drive shafts, to clear some things up and help

M20 flange is different and so will be the rubber donut coupling

you will require the front half of a manual M30 drive shaft and connect to the E30 Hanger, as the M30 / E30 hanger splines are different, also forget about using the auto M30 driveshaft

the next part is the sump...what car was the motor from

I suggest you write an extensive list of things to do and get, to make sure each step is covered

good luck

Jon

ok just read what you are up to.

I've done these conversions and can provide engine mounts (with the nolathene mounts too) that will prevent you from smashing the firewall.

I have used 262 getrags and the selector lines up pretty much with the existing E30 shifter hole in the body and the mounting of the transmission is very easy.

I beleive this is called position 1

I see discusion about drive shafts, to clear some things up and help

M20 flange is different and so will be the rubber donut coupling

you will require the front half of a manual M30 drive shaft and connect to the E30 Hanger, as the M30 / E30 hanger splines are different, also forget about using the auto M30 driveshaft

the next part is the sump...what car was the motor from

I suggest you write an extensive list of things to do and get, to make sure each step is covered

good luck

Jon

the motor is form a e32 735i the motors got the sump bowl at the very front, thanks for the for help info

i still need to get/buy:

m30 manual flywheel

e28/e36 radiator(i use my e36 325is radiator the see if it fits and it does)

m30 front half of manual drive shaft

ive got a gearbox but i will have to check numbers on it when it arrives

motor mounts

its hard to get hold of the bits :lol:

I would suggest that you either listen to someone who has actualy done this. Or research it more..rather than gather alot of misinformation. I was also going to do this and have some info if you need it.

the motor is form a e32 735i the motors got the sump bowl at the very front, thanks for the for help info

ok

post mail me,

i still need to get/buy:

m30 manual flywheel

motor mounts

can supply motor mounts,

edit...can also supply strengthened E30 crossmembers too, if you are interested

Jon

Edited by Jono51

can supply motor mounts,

edit...can also supply strengthened E30 crossmembers too, if you are interested

Jon

Jono, I thought you were going to write up your project step by step, looks like it would help several others too.

Jono has done a very neat conversion of a 635 M30 into his E30 race car.

First day out last Sunday - How did it go?

i still need to get/buy:

m30 manual flywheel

motor mounts

Heres a useful link

http://www.jaredsquires.com/ndp/335i/m30/page20.html

Were getting a bit off topic with this thread e30325i. Why not start a new one under projects?? Show us what youve done so far and ask for help with your project there.