Sign in to follow this  
GLIDN

E46 Owners

what kind of mileage do you get on a tank of gas and how big is your gas tank?

M318, M320, M325, M328, M330,

Also which models have cambelts and which have chain?

I know the 330 has Chain, what about the rest?

Decided i'll be looking at E46's in the next week or two. If i like them i'll narrow i down to which model and pec i want.

I had a e46 318Ti and now own a 330Ci. Surprisingly, the 330Ci is slightly better probably due to having a manual gearbox (SMG is based on manual box). I get approx 530-550km per tank when the fuel light is on.

Would be interested to know too, I'm desprately trying to get my mother to look at them for her new car :)

Trying to find a 325i+ Touring/Sedan... Touring would be hot though.

what kind of mileage do you get on a tank of gas and how big is your gas tank?

M318, M320, M325, M328, M330,

Also which models have cambelts and which have chain?

I know the 330 has Chain, what about the rest?

Decided i'll be looking at E46's in the next week or two. If i like them i'll narrow i down to which model and pec i want.

All of the E46 motors have chains

Most production BMW's are designed to do approx 500 Km on a tank full of gas. Engine and tank size determines how much its going to cost you to get that 500km out of it. Only use high octane fuels.

Driving style will also determine how economical it will be also. Maintanence is also a determining factor as well

Edited by *Glenn*

I get 380 - 450 for city driving

550 - 750 open road

m54b30 on 98 RON

I geta average of 10.1k/ltr runing on 98.

330 auto.

Edited by David

My average consumption is 11.5l. Mostly drive around city.

thanks for the reply's

Glen - they make something other than Diesel or 98? lol, yeah know about higher octane

Ok so what is the size tank on these cars. I'm really trying to dedermine which model i should go for. 325 - 330.

I would prefer a wagon, I meant to say Touring (sorry).

But just curious, i had a modified GTI golf cost me around $85 to fill around town i got 480 - 550 on the open road i got 650ish.

So just trying to work out which one i should go for. I would prefer manual but it does appear to come with a premium.

Think mine is a 65 litre tank (so close to a C note to fill). Around town I can get up to 600, and anything up to 800 on the open road depending on speed and terrain. I don't think that is too bad given the weight, engine size, A/C load etc.

I went through this process 2 years back but couldn't find a decent touring and preferred the coupe shape in the end. I actually think I preferred the 325 over the 330 - it was down on power (obviously) but seemed to be a bit smoother.

Good luck with the search.

thanks elmarco.

yeah cant get the coupe, i like them the most just not practical.

Hence i'm trying to get a touring over anything else, but if the right 318, 325, 330 then i will most likely get it.

Using 95unleaded, my 328ci gets about 14L/100km in lots of stop/start driving and 9L/100km on highway with lots of overtaking.

Looking at others with 328 & 330, they seem to do a lot better than mine with city driving, I wonder if there is something wrong with mine or is it that most don't floor it when getting off the line or after a corner.

I always tell myself, smaller engine ref harder to get up to speed, and at 100km the ref are much higher too; therefore I go for the larger engine which keeps the fuel consumption down :)

More torque is good, so get a larger engine, these cars are heavy and need all they can get to get moving :)

FYI, The earlier e46 are 323 & 328 (around 1998-2000) then it was upgraded to 325 & 330 (around 2001-2005).

These 6 cylinders have a 60-65L fuel tank, not too sure exactly how much they will hold.

Since this is an E46 discussion, I hope the author won't mind if I mention another issue related to E46 with the M52TU engine.

Has anyone noticed when they start their car in the morning and let it idle for a few mins, at the end of the warm up period, the car starts to shudder. RPM would drop sharply, shudder briefly, RPM recovers and idle normally for several second, this would repeat a few times. On occasions, it would stall when RPM couldn't recover fast enough.

The M54 & M56 are very similar engines with the same double-vanos. Has anyone else experience this?

I doubt anything wrong. I added cruise control to mine (New MF Steering wheel) and it made a world of difference to my gas consumption.

See my write up on it here i did a year or so ago.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=13689

Thanks, I've seen that early 2008. I have the triangle-shape airbag and have not seen any of those MF steering wheel for sale. Didn't want to spend on steering wheel + airbag for functions I rarely use.

The trick is (as with all e46 parts) is not to look in NZ. orrrr phone Ray from HellBM. 99% sure he still has one for sale ;)

You guys are getting pretty good mileage - my e46, a 1999 323i according the the car's computer averages about 8.6 Ltr / 100km around town - and that's driving it like a little old lady.

I get it serviced every 10,000kms.

Thanks, I've seen that early 2008. I have the triangle-shape airbag and have not seen any of those MF steering wheel for sale. Didn't want to spend on steering wheel + airbag for functions I rarely use.

I have a new Genuine MF kit that suits the 3 spoke wheel. $200 + GST if you are interested. Pretty straight forward upgrade for E46 with fly by wire throttle. (06/2000on)

You guys are getting pretty good mileage - my e46, a 1999 323i according the the car's computer averages about 8.6 Ltr / 100km around town - and that's driving it like a little old lady.

I get it serviced every 10,000kms.

Hey, that's probably the best consumption 8.6L/100km, somehow it looks too low to be city driving or is it 8.6km/Litre which equates to 11.6Ltr/100km

It's too hard for me to drive like a little old lady, i just use 95 rather than 98 unleaded :)

The trick is (as with all e46 parts) is not to look in NZ. orrrr phone Ray from HellBM. 99% sure he still has one for sale ;)

Thank you, unfortunately someone else bought it before I got there.

I have a new Genuine MF kit that suits the 3 spoke wheel. $200 + GST if you are interested. Pretty straight forward upgrade for E46 with fly by wire throttle. (06/2000on)

Thanks for sending the pic, mine is actually 11/1999 with the triangle-shape airbag wheel so it won't fit.

Hey, that's probably the best consumption 8.6L/100km, somehow it looks too low to be city driving or is it 8.6km/Litre which equates to 11.6Ltr/100km

It's too hard for me to drive like a little old lady, i just use 95 rather than 98 unleaded :)

lol yeah sorry - it is 8.66km / Litre ;)

10L/100km's combined cycle (indicated) ==> About 40% city, 10% rush hour, 45% highway, 5% twisties (long way home).

Managed 8.6L/100km from Auckland to Taupo, driving fairly enthusiastically. 6.9L/100km with cruise control on the way back :)

edit: Should mention, it is a 328i Sedan with 5 speed auto. Climate control is never off :lol:

Edited by JiB