Sign in to follow this  
sdavies51

Koni vs Bilstein

Im looking at looking at building an e30 daily driver/weekend track slut and was wondering wether to go with bilstein sport shocks or konis like the race series guys run, any advice, experience or help would be appreciated

Can only say that I run Konis similar to the race series ones, and they are damn good, I have them valved to match my spring rates and they have road holding ability like nothing I have every experienced. And I love how easy they are to adjust.

I have the race series Koni's in my road/track hack. They are worth their weight in gold, transform the car with the added bonus of adjustability.

I had the older model Internal adjustable Konis in my old E30

There were totally freaking awesome I can imagine the newer version are even better.

About $400 a corner retail (I think), mine were suitably less than that though.

I've always had Bilsteins and found them good, but I am sure that Koni's are at least as good (I always got the Bilstein/H&R package, and that's why I had Bilsteins). I've had them in both my 2.7 E30 and an 328i E36 (when I actually owned a BMW).

Cheers

Grant

Call John at the worx 8135460 he'll explain to you indepth why Bilsteins are superior, he used to build them.There are too many internet mechanics on here for me to say my bit.

Call John at the worx 8135460 he'll explain to you indepth why Bilsteins are superior, he used to build them.There are too many internet mechanics on here for me to say my bit.

Bilsteins are superior in a couple of ways:

A: All their dampers have the same internal cartridges, from bottom of the range, to their Nascar dampers.

B: They are user serviceable. Koni's are not, have to send them away.

Now, what were you going to go into?? Those are the only advantages ^

I think in most cases the question is not durability or reliability as they are both quality proven products.

It is a matter of how much you have to spend and do you require the adjustable rebound of the Koni dampers or not.

They're probably just another one of them things where some people like one kind and some people like the other,

Like Ford and Holden.

Bilsteins are superior in a couple of ways:

A: All their dampers have the same internal cartridges, from bottom of the range, to their Nascar dampers.

B: They are user serviceable. Koni's are not, have to send them away.

Now, what were you going to go into?? Those are the only advantages ^

I think you'll find that they're certainly not user serviceable as they would need to be regassed once pulled apart. It is a bit like the Holden vs Ford thing though, and for road cars you could argue that they're pretty much even, however for RACE CARS it's a bit different.

One of the key components for dialling out understeer / oversteer is shock adjustment to control speed of weight transfer. Pretty hard to do if your shock has no adjustment!

Bilstein = $160 ve-valve to fix Koni = 20 seconds to adjust.

Bilstein manufacture Mono-tube only. Koni both Mono and twin tube.

In some light applications eg rear of an E30 a monotube can give a "lifting effect" on cornering due to them having around 200 - 240 psi gas pressure. Koni supply options to remove any compromise.

Motorsport NZ control classes

Koni = NZV8 touring cars, Mazda Pro7 plus, BMW E30 series

Bilstein = 0

Then you could say that I am a bit biased!!!

Koni's, because yellow/red looks so much cooler than yellow/blue

I think you'll find that they're certainly not user serviceable as they would need to be regassed once pulled apart. It is a bit like the Holden vs Ford thing though, and for road cars you could argue that they're pretty much even, however for RACE CARS it's a bit different.

I have found nice write ups of people in their garage replacing seals etc. They had gas on tap however..

But yes, Koni's for the win?!

Then you could say that I am a bit biased!!!

Noooooooooooo... :rolleyes:

How much are we looking at for a set of konis?

Try ringing George Stock & Co Ph. (09) 2763838