Sign in to follow this  
1rotty

Reverse light mystery

All the threads I've read indicated there are 2 wires to the reverse lights under the centre console which need to be reconnected to the yell/green/black which are also there.

Well they aint & I'm stumped.Sorted the inhibitor switch & she's all go-just no reverses(or rear fogs for that matter but I doubt thats connected to this little prob)

Definitely not fuses & dont laugh but I'm assuming it had reverses before-I've never driven it at night LOL.

Car is 90 f/l e30 SA

And by the way,the 5spd & new diff is just frickin awesome

sa cars are all up the s**t man worked on once same thing and NO PLUG whats with that ?

Yeah mate,thats what I'm trying to figure

So happy with the gearbox and diff mate? that's good to hear :D

As for the two wires when i did mine it was just like in the other write ups but i still sent it off to an auto sparkey as it had the electronic trans and wouldn't run properly adn he sorted the lights too

and +1 to kerrys comment, been working on my mate kerrys 325i SA and some things are just WTF when comparing the two

Edited by Sammy J

So happy with the gearbox and diff mate? that's good to hear :D

Hey Sam,I know you & your Dad said I'd be impressed when I picked the gear up but the difference is waaay beyond my expectations-totally different car.

And by the way big ups to you.The box & diff are sweet.Thanks heaps.

Hey Sam,I know you & your Dad said I'd be impressed when I picked the gear up but the difference is waaay beyond my expectations-totally different car.

And by the way big ups to you.The box & diff are sweet.Thanks heaps.

thanks mate im glad to hear.

Guest Simon*

Awesome Mark!

Just flag going backwards for a while. I've got some tyres that need wearing out, might be time for a wee drive :ph34r:

Guest FrantiC

They aren't a WOF requirement btw.

I have to disconnect mine from the gearbox or else everytime I pop it in reverse, it blows fuse #10 and if the car turns off it won't start until fuse 10 is replaced.. Took me ages to figure out it was caused from going into reverse and that the reverse lights were doing it hah...

But WOF and cert didn't seem to mention it. The wires are just dangling by the side of the box too. Lol.

Awesome Mark!

Just flag going backwards for a while. I've got some tyres that need wearing out, might be time for a wee drive :ph34r:

Ha,I only go backwards at trackdays LOL

Hows the new abode out at Tsunami Central?

John, I think you're right about the WOF thing but things that dont work or I cant figure out just p**s me off.

Mind you probably not enough to pay a sparky :unsure:

They aren't a WOF requirement btw.

I have to disconnect mine from the gearbox or else everytime I pop it in reverse, it blows fuse #10 and if the car turns off it won't start until fuse 10 is replaced.. Took me ages to figure out it was caused from going into reverse and that the reverse lights were doing it hah...

But WOF and cert didn't seem to mention it. The wires are just dangling by the side of the box too. Lol.

Sorry, not true.

If a light is fitted - it MUST work. They are part of the light cluster so rule applies.

On that note though - not all inspectors check them - hense not getting pinged

All the threads I've read indicated there are 2 wires to the reverse lights under the centre console which need to be reconnected to the yell/green/black which are also there.

Well they aint & I'm stumped.Sorted the inhibitor switch & she's all go-just no reverses(or rear fogs for that matter but I doubt thats connected to this little prob)

Definitely not fuses & dont laugh but I'm assuming it had reverses before-I've never driven it at night LOL.

Car is 90 f/l e30 SA

Regarding reverse wiring, yes the SA cars differ in many aspects but Im not sure the reverse light wiring does. (Don't quote me though) The switch is still on the box as usual & still requires connecting to the car so wiring must be there somewhere. Inhibitor switch is same in both cars.

How many wires were in the plug for the inhibitor switch?

Regarding reverse wiring, yes the SA cars differ in many aspects but Im not sure the reverse light wiring does. (Don't quote me though) The switch is still on the box as usual & still requires connecting to the car so wiring must be there somewhere. Inhibitor switch is same in both cars.

How many wires were in the plug for the inhibitor switch?

Hey Grant-just 2 on the inhibitor.

Heres what I've done;

2 black,1 yellow looped together-connected to nothing else altho threads say this is where 1 reverse should connect.

Part of the same "harness": blue-connected to brown(inhibitor)(also where threads say 2nd reverse should connect) & the purple (inhibitor) is not connected to anything.

brown-not connected to anything

I suspect we may not have the connection from the box-my mate may have pulled it thro when the auto came out-is this possible?

Edited by 1rotty

Have you tried checking the sensor? The resistance/circuit on the reverse light wiring? Also cheat and put power to the reverse light wires to make double sure there is a circuit [don't cry if a fuse goes pop]

Sorry, not true.

If a light is fitted - it MUST work. They are part of the light cluster so rule applies.

On that note though - not all inspectors check them - hense not getting pinged

I passed a "Pink Sticker" WOF with non-working reverse lights -- which is meant to be one of the hardest WOFs to pass. :) As they check EVERYTHING thouroughly (more than your normal garage does anyway).

Edited by Shady

You don't need reversing lights for a WoF, I diddn't have any for two years :P

then I eventually bought the 50 dollar replacement switch, I thaught it was going to be Hundreds.

You don't need reversing lights for a WoF, I diddn't have any for two years :P

then I eventually bought the 50 dollar replacement switch, I thaught it was going to be Hundreds.

Check the LTSA lighting rules.

Like I said - maybe they omitted to check reverse lights - often the case but doesn't change the ruling

Hey Grant-just 2 on the inhibitor.

Heres what I've done;

2 black,1 yellow looped together-connected to nothing else altho threads say this is where 1 reverse should connect.

Part of the same "harness": blue-connected to brown(inhibitor)(also where threads say 2nd reverse should connect) & the purple (inhibitor) is not connected to anything.

brown-not connected to anything

I suspect we may not have the connection from the box-my mate may have pulled it thro when the auto came out-is this possible?

Mark,

Can't remember on car but from BMW wiring info:

Green/yellow is ign in

Green/Black is start out

Blue/White is reverse out

Meaning: Join Green/Yellow to Green/Black for inhibitor bypass

Also connect Green/Yellow to one wire to reverse switch & blue/white to the other

Brown is earth & not used for start/reverse circuits but is earth for auto shifter illumination - now not used.

SA colours may vary (can't remember) but wiring configuration should be the same.

If this is the case - Confirm 12v wire (ign), join to start wire & also to one reverse switch wire & the other switch wire to the third one

Hey Grant, Reversing lights are in section 10, under optional lights in the regulations, I just had a look.

10.5 Fitting and performance requirements for reversing lamps

10.5(1) The light emitted by a reversing lamp, when operated, must be substantially white.

10.5(2) A motor vehicle, other than one in <a href="http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/rules/vehicle-lighting-2004.html#1054">10.5(4), may be fitted with one or two reversing lamps that operate only when:

• (a) the reverse gear is engaged; or
  • (B) the headlamps are extinguished.
10.5(3) A reversing lamp fitted to a motor vehicle must emit a diffuse light or a dipped beam of light;

http://' target="_blank">10.5(4) A vehicle of Group A must not be fitted with a reversing lamp.

Hey Grant, Reversing lights are in section 10, under optional lights in the regulations, I just had a look.

10.5 Fitting and performance requirements for reversing lamps

10.5(1) The light emitted by a reversing lamp, when operated, must be substantially white.

10.5(2) A motor vehicle, other than one in <a href="http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/rules/vehicle-lighting-2004.html#1054">10.5(4), may be fitted with one or two reversing lamps that operate only when:

• (a) the reverse gear is engaged; or
  • (B) the headlamps are extinguished.
10.5(3) A reversing lamp fitted to a motor vehicle must emit a diffuse light or a dipped beam of light;

<a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>10.5(4) A vehicle of Group A must not be fitted with a reversing lamp.

Yep agree but this will be when fitting aftermarket

There is still a lighting requirement: - if a light is fitted - it must work

In this case - they are part of the light cluster

Reverse lights are policed by VT here - generally

Front fogs - again - if present - they must work & to specs. They can however be removed completely - often the case where one is damaged

So this means you could remove both bulbs and paint the lens red?

Thanks Grant,

Now I just have to locate the reverse wires-could we have pulled them thro?

Guest Simon*

Ha,I only go backwards at trackdays LOL

Hows the new abode out at Tsunami Central?

Yeah it's bloody good. Still got some Tui left if you feel like bringing the E30 out over the weekend ;)

Simon!! I couldnt possibly drink & drive :rolleyes:

Tui's not like wine -you dont want it to age.

Thanks Grant,

Now I just have to locate the reverse wires-could we have pulled them thro?

Wouldn't have thought so, have you still got the auto box? If so -where is the reverse switch wiring on it & where did that wiring connect to?