Sign in to follow this  
kingkarl

Nicest sounding engine

You guys are gonna hate me for this one.....but my brother used to have one (rotary) and have loved them ever since!!!

Nah man rotas are mint.

Best engine sound for me would be a Small Block chev with a lumpy cam in a jet boat while on idle

If you have never heard this there is a very unique sound of a wet exhaust marinised v8

sounds so awesome.

edit Sounds like this

Edited by Jimmy

From 0:07 it sounds so... cant explain it.

Some nice sounds so far. Apart from the RX2 which sounds much the same as my leaf blower. Not kidding ether.

Not a car but I always thought the brute power of these Big Blocks was just insane. And the fact that cars with this much power only do short 1/4 mile runs. These boats do multiple laps at full noise.

My cousin designs and builds the boats for the Grand Prix. So I went down to have a look.

sh*t camera in video mode but shows how loud they are.

Start up

And full noise

BTW. You would need 3 M20B20's just to turn the supercharger. lol.

Edited by driftit

Better quality V16

My alltime favourite sounding engine

Yes!!!!!!! The H16 was also a yummy engine. It's a shame the V16 never really worked correct because it was just incredible

About 15 years ago I used to catch the bus into Wellington from Karori. Every morning a guy would drive down Karori Road in a Holden Sunbird. It was a very nice Sunbird (relatively speaking, I guess it could have been a Torana) but I can still remember the sound of the engine. Definitely a Six but dear god it sounded nice. Super smooth, powerful and with a nice but subdued raspy exhaust tone. It was a well loved machine ($$$). Didn't sound like an old Holden six but who knows, all I remember is that it was the sweetest engine I had ever heard.

My 2c...

Despite 10 years of EJ20 ownership - I still miss a good Subaru rumble. Hoping I can make the 540 sound half as good one day.

Second to an EJ20, an RB26 with a large single turbo.

Formula 5000 comin' over the hill at Puke. :wub:

About 15 years ago I used to catch the bus into Wellington from Karori. Every morning a guy would drive down Karori Road in a Holden Sunbird. It was a very nice Sunbird (relatively speaking, I guess it could have been a Torana) but I can still remember the sound of the engine. Definitely a Six but dear god it sounded nice. Super smooth, powerful and with a nice but subdued raspy exhaust tone. It was a well loved machine ($$$). Didn't sound like an old Holden six but who knows, all I remember is that it was the sweetest engine I had ever heard.

Could have been a hot 186 or maybe a transplanted 202? They tend to sound very very nice, the Torana GT-R sounded absolutely amazing