Sign in to follow this  
MLM

Steering clunk

Car: e36 318is coupe manual 5/92 manufature

Since I purchased the car the steering has a clunk while turning the wheel lock to lock or tightish carpark turns etc. The noise appears to come from the columb at around the fire wall. I have climbed over the car in the years i have owned it but never got to the bottom of it.. :huh:

Is there a bushing/bearing in this area that may have flogged out?

Ideas much appreciated

i have seen bent steering collums hitting the headers etc

I had a similar problem which turned out to be one of the U joints on the steering shaft coupling packing up or maybe that plastic spacer/disc is knackered. Try jacking both front wheels off the ground and with the engine off, turn lock to lock and see if the steering gets stiffer at some point if so then it could be one of the U joint couplings.

i have seen bent steering collums hitting the headers etc

This was one of the first things i looked at as i have replace the headers due to cracking. There is a plenty of clearance though it could be possible that the shaft is bowed somewhere producing the clunk as it rotates?

I had a similar problem which turned out to be one of the U joints on the steering shaft coupling packing up or maybe that plastic spacer/disc is knackered. Try jacking both front wheels off the ground and with the engine off, turn lock to lock and see if the steering gets stiffer at some point if so then it could be one of the U joint couplings.

Will give this a go and see what i get. From memory the clunking seems to be at the same point in the turn. By the plastic spacer disc do you mean the coupler between the upper and lower shaft? Will check that too.

I had the exact symption's on an E30

After I replaced the Steering U Joint it still happaned so what was when I pulled the dust boots off the steering rack and noticed the main shaft of the steering rack itself was moving up and down inside the housing as it turned from lock to lock.

Steering Rack was faulty even though it was not leaking.

They modified the steering couplings on E36's for exactly that reason. Yours may have the old type and its worn in the sliding, collapsable shaft. Another thing to check is the engine mounts. If they are broken the R/H mount bracket may be sitting on your steering shaft coupling... we see this alot.