Sign in to follow this  
Vent

Subs "popping" when power turned on

Hi all

I have a small problem since installing my subs.

I have a panasonic mp3 headunit, feeding a 2000w lightning audio amp, which is feeding my fronts and rears. I recently installed my 2 10" subs, and wired them in sequence to the "sub" positive and negative ports on amp.

Now, when i turn the stereo on, or off, i get a slight pop sound thru the subs. Ive done a bit of research on this, and im advised to find another "remote" wire, and attach my remote to that. Supposedly the remote wire the amp is attached to, or the headunit for that matter, isnt a good enough connection, and need to find another..

Any ideas on how to do this? Or any other things I can do to solve the problem?

Sub wiring is as follows

+ on amp to - on sub1.

+ on sub1 to - on sub2.

+ on sub2 to - on amp.

Have i wired correctly?

Thanks for any help you can offer :)

most good quality rcas ie stingers have a remote wire bundled with the rca, my advice is to get one or two of them, they are great rcas and have nice sheilding on them.

wiring is pretty straight forward, if you have a diagram its almost fool proof

Ah, you think my RCAs havnt got a built in remote wire?

That would make sense.. ill have a closer look at that..

im sure theres a remote wire coming off the amp and going somewhere... will look into it.

And yep, ive got RCAs with remote wire, but since amp was already installed when i bought the car, i didnt need to wire my RCAs thru..

Thanks sic :)

well use the remote wire that is on those rcas and wire it to the headunit, ie the place its supposed to go to.

made sure you run the power cabling and rcas down seperate sides of the car if possible to avoid alternater wine.

It sounds like as if the amp is constantly running ..

cause if the amp is constantly running and you turn on and off the car the subs will pop ... experienced that first hand .. had a friend run remote straight to the battery and turned on and off the car it does that ...

i run 2 amps and a crossover off my remote wire from the head deck and no popping when turned on . check you have good earths . dont run main power cables next to rca cables and dont turn the gain up to much (under half)

Sweet, thanks for the advice :)

Yeah, im planning on installing my amp, with equaliser on it, set for 70hz and below.. use it for the subs, and have speakers running from other amp..

will also run some RCAs with built in remote wire.

So, Im attaching remote wire from back of headunit, to remote wire on RCA lead, feed to amp in back of car, and attach remote wire from RCA lead to the amp..

Is it possible to daisychain the remote wire from one amp to another?

Turns out the sub popping is just a common thing with the lightning audio amp that I am currently using.

Ran some more RCAs yesterday, from headunit to back, will install a 4 channel sony amp and run my 2 10s from that, bridged..

One quick question regarding that tho..

The 4 channel amp that im going to use, has 2 RCA inputs, front and back, effectively 4 plug holes.

If im running RCA from the SUB outs on headunit, to this 4 channel amp, where do i plug the 2 RCA plugs into?

The amp has markings for "mono" and it seems to point to the two "white" RCA plug holes.. do i plug the red/white plugs into those, or should i be doing a "diagonal" plug, ie plugging the red RCA into the RIGHT RED plug hole, and the white RCA into the LEFT WHITE plug hole?

Any idea? :)

use the mono input for a sub, you dont want stereo for a sub, unless you set up two subs... not common. anyways you will be sweet running it from the mono set up

So the mono setup is using the two "white" plug holes on the amp...

Sorry, quite new to custom setups.. All this stuff had been set up for me, and havnt had to change it with each car, until now.. :)

Thanks sic.. I appreciate your comments.